Best "aww crap" photos?

Not the most spectacular, but my very own "awe crap" moment. Although I recall thinking of many other expletives as I was sliding down the runway... Happened on Sept 10th, and plane is still not flying yet. Hopefully soon.
picture.php

Here's a good one... F-16 with student and instructor ingests a big ass bird on takeoff and can't make the turn back to the runway, they both punch out and the plane crashes in what looks like a field.

Here's a good one... F-16 with student and instructor ingests a big ass bird on takeoff and can't make the turn back to the runway, they both punch out and the plane crashes in what looks like a field.

I thought that one was British and a trainer, not an F-16?

They couldn't land in what looked like a field right ahead?

RIP, Miss Donna Mae II and her crew.

http://forum.armyairforces.com/Miss-Donna-Mae-m137036.aspx

^^^ Interesting history in the thread above, including a diary scan (post #11) from the pilot of plane that dropped the bomb... Lt. John Winslett's A/C 42-97791 XM-O "Trudy".

I know he didn't mean to put a downer on the thread, but I'm glad the guy posted the picture of the B-17 because it prompted you to provide that link. I have always wondered about it; hoping the crew somehow got out. What a tragedy.

There is also a video floating around of (I believe) a B-24 getting hit right at the wing route during a bomb drop. Horrific.

Dead sticking a jet like an F-16 into anything other than a wide open runway would not be my choice.

Ha yeah bob's cow pasture probably won't work so well for a fighter jet. What do those things land at.. 150mph?

Two of my flight instructors were and are former F16 instructor pilots (living a few miles away from one the larger F16 bases has its pluses). A few months ago I had a long talk with one of them (combat decorated, multi thousand hour, retired col. and general badass) and I asked him about the ejecting mindset and how it was taught by the Air Force. I asked because at the time I was thinking about buying a Cirrus and I was trying to figure out why people were not pulling the chute as often as they should be.

His answer was basically F16s and high performance tricycle gear singles have no business landing on anything other than a runway or a highly improved field. If you try it, you may not get hurt but that is pure luck. More likely than not, you will flip, hit a rut etc. In an F16 he said unless he could make to a runway, he would eject unless he thought his aircraft would hit something where people were located. In that case, he would ride it to the ground to avoid ground injuries.

His advice on the Cirrus was unless you are willing to bet your life you can make it to a runway or happen to see a really nice golf course or six perfectly aligned golf courses, pull the chute and get the insurance check.

My deepest apologies for the thread drift. I'm really enjoying this thread and I'm hoping we can get back the pictures and if someone has a comment on my post we should start another thread.

This one happened at my home 'drome three and a half years ago. The CFI and was instructing a student in the airplane on top. It really was a one in a million landing!! No one was injured, but the main gear of the Piper on top came to a stop just behind the head of the pilot in the lower plane.

airport-mishaps-1-10.jpg

Last edited:
And it's okay for me to poke fun at this, as I did vote for him... not sure if I'd make that same choice given a 2nd chance... but we never know how a leader will end up! I saw it for the historic opportunity.

los_angeles_times_obama_cover_nov-5-2008.jpg

This requires a little explanation:

The top photo was in the paper one morning.

There was obviously an "aww crap" at a meeting later that day, because there was a correction in the paper the next morning.

I've saved that clipping for almost 13 yrs now...

Attachments

• bad_clown.jpg
    bad_clown.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 156
Darn, I thought I had my old wedding photo to add to this thread. I guessed I must have flushed it or something.

John

Oooh -- Can't forget the A380 Paris Air Show debut!

A380-FB2.jpg

This one happened at my home 'drome three and a half years ago. The CFI and was instructing a student in the airplane on top. It really was a one in a million landing!! No one was injured, but the main gear of the Piper on top came to a stop just behind the head of the pilot in the lower plane.

airport-mishaps-1-10.jpg

I thought of the same photo, but you beat me to posting it.

My Caption: "This is what you get when you accidently drop your ED medication into the fuel tank of a PA28"

Some well trained Jets

hangarcollapse.jpg

And it's okay for me to poke fun at this, as I did vote for him... not sure if I'd make that same choice given a 2nd chance... but we never know how a leader will end up! I saw it for the historic opportunity.

los_angeles_times_obama_cover_nov-5-2008.jpg

well it sure as hell has been historic alright :(

Back