Best "aww crap" photos?

This one matches the thread title:

epic_porta_potty_tip-129.jpg

and how could we forget our recent ferris wheel flyboys:

Plane-Ferris-Wheel.jpg

"aww crap" Jamaican overrun. No fatalities.

when_a_plane_640_04.jpg

when_a_plane_640_05.jpg

when_a_plane_640_07.jpg

when_a_plane_640_09.jpg

Then there's this one...

Attachments

• PlaneFunatChinaAirlines.pdf
    491 KB · Views: 136
Then there's this one...

Ouch! That looks expensive.
As an old trainer of mine said, "If you make a mistake, the damage is done. Don't get in a hurry to fix it and make things worse."

The amazing part on that last one is the number of people who could and should have seen it happening.

It's amazing how strong those wires are... Not just that they support the airplane's weight, but that they do that after surviving the impact.

How do you suppose those guys got down from there?

His answer was basically F16s and high performance tricycle gear singles have no business landing on anything other than a runway or a highly improved field. If you try it, you may not get hurt but that is pure luck. More likely than not, you will flip, hit a rut etc. In an F16 he said unless he could make to a runway, he would eject unless he thought his aircraft would hit something where people were located. In that case, he would ride it to the ground to avoid ground injuries.

His advice on the Cirrus was unless you are willing to bet your life you can make it to a runway or happen to see a really nice golf course or six perfectly aligned golf courses, pull the chute and get the insurance check.

After what happened with the F-16 on a simple runway overrun at OSH last year, I'd have to say that I'd agree with what you've posted above!

However, I'd much rather punch out of an F-16 than pop the BRS on a Cirrus. You're not floating to the ground like a feather - You're gonna hit HARD. It definitely has its uses, but there are many situations where I wouldn't use it as plan A.

Rumors are trickling out that the F16 overrun was a loss of power and the pilot elected not to subject bystanders to the toxic benzene (I think?) based emergency power system. This is all mostly based on armchair analysts noticing that his speed brake wasn't deployed like the flight lead's at touchdown.

(That said, I haven't found any official accident investigation documentation to back that up.)

Oh Hey, I have some of these!

Attachments

• mvc-001s.jpg
    mvc-001s.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 75
  • mvc-002s.jpg
    mvc-002s.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 73
  • mvc-004s.jpg
    mvc-004s.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 74
Then there is this bird strike.

Attachments

• BirdStrike.1.jpg
    BirdStrike.1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 90
  • BirdStrike.2.jpg
    BirdStrike.2.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 96
Then there are emergency equipment functional tests.

Attachments

• rubber_01[1].jpg
    rubber_01[1].jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 63
  • rubber_02[1].jpg
    rubber_02[1].jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 57
More Birdstrike photos

Attachments

• Mvc-009f.jpg
    Mvc-009f.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Mvc-003f.jpg
    Mvc-003f.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Mvc-004f.jpg
    Mvc-004f.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Mvc-010f.jpg
    Mvc-010f.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Mvc-006f.jpg
    Mvc-006f.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Mvc-007f.jpg
    Mvc-007f.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
Then there is landing with the brakes on.

Attachments

• ATT00035.jpg
    ATT00035.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 69
  • ATT00047.jpg
    ATT00047.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 72
  • ATT00026.jpg
    ATT00026.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 80
  • ATT00023.jpg
    ATT00023.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 80
  • ATT00050.jpg
    ATT00050.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 69
  • ATT00029.jpg
    ATT00029.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 80
Engine rotor disk failure uncontained

Attachments

• aa6.jpg
    aa6.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 71
  • aa9.jpg
    aa9.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 69
  • disc_in_wrong_engine.jpg
    disc_in_wrong_engine.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 62
  • engine_missing_disc.jpg
    engine_missing_disc.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6507rnac.jpg
    IMG_6507rnac.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 72
  • toasted_rear_fuselage.jpg
    toasted_rear_fuselage.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 65
  • whoops.jpg
    whoops.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 59
Incorrect jacking of 747, some jack points are only for stabilization.

Attachments

• DSCN0457.JPG
    DSCN0457.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN0458.JPG
    DSCN0458.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0453.JPG
    DSCN0453.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN0456.JPG
    DSCN0456.JPG
    384.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Attack of the killer airshow tent. NAS Atlanta, may '94

Attachments

• Stab damage NAS ATL3.jpg
    Stab damage NAS ATL3.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 99
Rumors are trickling out that the F16 overrun was a loss of power and the pilot elected not to subject bystanders to the toxic benzene (I think?) based emergency power system. This is all mostly based on armchair analysts noticing that his speed brake wasn't deployed like the flight lead's at touchdown.

(That said, I haven't found any official accident investigation documentation to back that up.)
Hydrazine. Nasty stuff.

However, I'd much rather punch out of an F-16 than pop the BRS on a Cirrus. You're not floating to the ground like a feather - You're gonna hit HARD. It definitely has its uses, but there are many situations where I wouldn't use it as plan A.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. 11 G's directly to my spine, potential for flailing injuries and hammering into the earth under an undersized round parachute with 60 lbs of gear strapped to my butt isn't exactly "floating to the ground like a feather" either.

Not even remotely close on any count.

No link and probably won't ever be. I work with the members of the investigation boards. The final results are otherwise classified. Your initial rumors aren't close to what was discussed on the field at the time.

No link and probably won't ever be. I work with the members of the investigation boards. The final results are otherwise classified. Your initial rumors aren't close to what was discussed on the field at the time.

Fair enough.

Yes, but not parking brake protection.

And "auto skid" can be turned off, by accident or intentionally.

It's "anti-skid", not "auto skid". ;)

If the anti skid is inop or disabled, then there would be a message on the EICAS alerting the crew.

Same for the parking brake, an EICAS message when it's engaged.

Agreed, but I do hear tell of a check airman trying to show off to a trainee who turned off the anti skid and planted the plane with the brakes locked

"This is how you land REEEEEEALY short"

Then skided past the point they had been stopping when using normal brakeing....

Back