"Best" airplane for 35k?

No engine overhaul since 1968 and it's 500 hrs overdue? :rofl:

Perfect.... It's ready for a new engine, one we will know what's in it.

You know every aircraft is a project.

Perfect.... It's ready for a new engine, one we will know what's in it.

You know every aircraft is a project.

Does it come with a $20K gold brick under the seat? Otherwise, that's not within his budget.

35 grand should buy a decent Luscombe F model. A decent mooney should be fifty- 60 grand or more. That is.....one you'd want to put in a hangar and take good care of, and fly your family in. Etc. Otherwise it's always the same, pay me now..... pay me later.

C172 would be was my choice. My first plane was a $35k C172, although I bought it in 1996.

I would also consider a C177 Cardinal.

I don't really know much about Pipers other than they are low-wing and only have one door. The one-door thing always seemed stupid to me for a 4-place airplane.

I wouldn't. Cardinals are good planes but $35k doesn't buy a lot of Cardinal.

My vote would be for a Grumman. Good bang for buck and dollar per knot.

I wouldn't. Cardinals are good planes but $35k doesn't buy a lot of Cardinal.

My vote would be for a Grumman. Good bang for buck and dollar per knot.

A little Cardinal can beat a whole lot of 172 though. Worth considering if he can find an acceptable example of a 177A or B model.

The Grummans are much less common mfr and airframes. They are certainly nice airplanes but may not be great for a novice owner.

Does it come with a $20K gold brick under the seat? Otherwise, that's not within his budget.

No one buys any aircraft with all of their budget. Don't we have an owner here that blew an engine on the way home?
Buy he high timed engine and overhaul the engine and fly with out worries. That 177 is priced as a high time engine.

That Warrior listing has an autopilot, which is rare and extremely desireable if you're going to fly in clouds especially.c

You can't touch a fixed gear Cardinal, even one that is worn out, for $35K. The secret is out on those.

Don't even think about a retract!!

Last edited:
Surprised nobody's mentioned a tri-pacer yet.

I don't really know much about Pipers other than they are low-wing and only have one door. The one-door thing always seemed stupid to me for a 4-place airplane.

I've been shopping off and on, and, subjectively, I think the Cessnas command a premium price. Just more demand for them. I beleive you can get more airplane for the same money, with Piper or Grumman.

I've been shopping off and on, and, subjectively, I think the Cessnas command a premium price. Just more demand for them. I beleive you can get more airplane for the same money, with Piper or Grumman.

ONLY when you believe they are better aircraft.

I keep coming back to these. Love the looks and performance but intimidated by the age and complexities and the insurance premium+

Doubt you will find an insurance premium much over 5-10% compared to the brand P or C of similar capability.

Lots of them built, and lots of support around the world. I can have just about anything made, and what I can't have made, I can find used, or worst case, Raytheon still has modest support, even for the early models. I consider them less complex than some other planes of similar capability. The Mooney is prolly the gold standard in simple complex planes, with the manual retract, manual hydraulic gear handle, and push rod controls. Cessna with their hyd gear system concerns me.

It's best to find a good Bo mechanic, but any older A&P can maintain them just fine. Nothing scary about the old Bo/Deb.

ONLY when you believe they are better aircraft.

I dunno know, what's "Better"? Or "Worse"? I haven't felt Cessnas were superior (or inferior) to other makes. . .Diffrent pros and cons, and pilot needs and prejudices.

Grumman go faster, Piper is land-o-matic, Cessna good on short fields, etc., etc., Look at the AD's, historical maintenance issues, engine/airplane combo, all the usual stuff.

I'm still wondering why no one buys airplanes from Ohio? We'll see if Tim's Arrow sells or not I guess.

C172 would be was my choice. My first plane was a $35k C172, although I bought it in 1996.

And you better have good knees, good back, be limber and not too big of a guy either. And don't forget how to taxi while you hold that door open on a hot day since you have no windows that open and no wing above you for shade!

Over the wing entrance sux big donkey schlong's. :stirpot:

I'm still wondering why no one buys airplanes from Ohio? We'll see if Tim's Arrow sells or not I guess.

I was kidding......was secretly hoping his plane didn't sell so he'd be forced to sell it to me at a price comparable to this thread title.

I keep coming back to the Beech Sundowner/Mousketeer/Sierra. I don't need to go fast but I like having room.

Fly as fast as an Archer at a fraction of the cost in a Grumman Cheetah (160hp). Don't think there is an airplane out there other then the Mooney M20C that can match their combination of low acquisition cost and performance.

I'd second this. My Cheetah would routinely do 128kts true, carry 3 folks, and 52 gals of fuel. My Tiger will do 135 kts true, carry 3 folks, with 52 gals of fuel. If you buy a Cheetah, get one with the HC STC. Much better climb performance. If you buy a Tiger, get one with the Sensinich prop.

Damn - Or a really nice Comanche 250 for 36k

The guy's looking for cash and the OP seems to be a cash buyer so...

http://aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd...l=True&pagingNo=1&searchId=19405611&dealerid=

Hmmmm. ... Email logs for PayPal fee of $50??? Could this be a scam?? :dunno:

Once they are scanned, why should it cost anything to email? If a guy doesn't want to scan and email logs, then he is limiting his potential buyers. When I sold my plane I scanned all the logs from day one and emailed for free to anybody that was interested.

Nice looking Comanche otherwise. Wonder how many SMOH.

see, if only I could find a decent partner and we BOTH put in 35k, NOW we're talkin! that's what I'm holdin out for, and probably why I'll never own a plane but one can still dream.

He should have been more clear. The title implied 35k acquisition, not 35k a year LOL

Here is a Comanche 180...

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail...e+Piston/1959/Piper/Comanche+180/2150514.html

Little less power than its higher power Comanche brothers but also less fuel burn. I own a Comanche 250 and have a buddy with a 180. The 180 is a easily as good is you don't mind trading a bit less climb performance and top speed for less fuel burn.

Oh yeah.... and you can actually fit 4 adults in it comfortably which is something you can't do with a Mooney ;) (at least the ones in the OPs price range)

Best airplane for $35K is like saying 'best car for $500 bucks.

You ain't gonna git much ... ;)

Back