Best accessories for Mini iPad 6: Screen protector, cases, and mounts

Skylark23

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skylark
Are there any good screens protectors and cases that work well in the cockpit and keep it cool?

What window mounts and other mounts are you all using?

I've been using iPads in the cockpit for 13 years and never used a screen protector. Non of the cases are particularly good at keeping it cool; your best bet is keeping it out of the sun. I don't mount it either, I rather have it loose and stowable like a notebook. Some folks use Ram mounts to mount to the yoke. I tried and found that bulky and awkward for taking notes on it. It's also difficult to use any sort of case while mounted on the yoke.

My advice: less is more. Get a simple case that protects it from typical scratches, drops, etc. bonus if it rubberized such that it doesn't slide off you pant leg when sitting in your lap. Otherwise, try it out free and see how that works for you.

I use a RAM yoke mount in the plane. I do not like having it loose in the cockpit. For everyday use - I have a keyboard case. I think the keyboard makes the iPad much more useful. I just pop it out of the case and into the RAM mount when I fly. I also agree on skipping the screen protector. I don’t see any benefit from a screen protector. The case keeps it from getting scratched.
1706495503949.png

I second a simple case and a screen protector not being a necessity. I like a simple thin inexpensive case that covers the back and sides and gives a little texture for grip. I don't generally bother with a screen protector. In probably 15 years or so of having phones and tablets that I use nearly daily I've never damaged one.
Now the one caveat is I know some people who can't seem to hold onto a device for a month without cracking the screen and are constantly getting repairs/replacements. I don't know how- I certainly drop my ipad/phone now and then and managed not to break anything. If you're one of those people maybe get a better case and screen protector.

As for cooling I have just one thing to say- keep it out of the sun. From my experience anytime I've had an overheat issue it's been because the device was getting baked by sunlight and all I had to do is move it somewhere in the airplane that was shady. For mounts I've alternated between keeping it in the map pocket and using a clamp-on the yoke x-grip type mount. For VFR/enroute you probably don't really need a mount but when doing IFR I like to have the approach plate where I can glance at it quickly. A lot of that is down to aircraft type and preference though, different pilots like different things.

I've had good success with RAM mounts (I use a suction mount to the left side of windshield).

I do recommend a screen protector and case. Anything on Amazon should be just fine.

Too keep things cool you could buy this nifty $200 case that has a cooling fan. Worth it? Eh

RAM mounts and arms, PIVOT case and related adapter. Steve-O uses them and I was sold. Super easy to swap them from my mount to my knee board adapter.

My iPad Mini just has two accessories: The folio cover and a Pencil. I don't mount it in the cockpit at all, but got a pocket/caddy thing that velcros to the wall of my plane. I use the iPad for planning (including diversions), writing down clearances and ATIS, and checking out the sectional for things I see and want to know more about. My plane has a lot of glass in the panel so my approach plates, charts, waypoint information, etc. are all there. In my previous plane, with steam gauges and a GNS 430W, I yoke-mounted the iPad Mini. Full-size iPads blocked too many of the engine gauges for my comfort.

IMG_0179_Original.jpeg
That’s where my iPad 6 mini lives (mini 4 before that) for the past 5 years, secured via Ram mount. I’m a big fan of the Otter Box Defender for protection, it that was not an available when I got the 6. It has a case, albeit thinner. No issues thus far.

I have the folio case for not in the airplane. I use a yoke mount most times, but have used a suction cup to the left side like the pic above. Both work well.

I don't do notes on the iPad. The pen is too slick. My fingers/hand is calibrated to some drag of the pen or pencil on the paper, so I use a knee board with paper pad for notes.

EZ-Roller RAM cradle and a suction cup mount. I hop planes too often for much else. Most planes have "that spot" which is ideal to stick the cup into. Usually in the low corner of the windscreen or the storm window on the pilot side plexi.

Never used a screen protector either. I DO use applecare, and have had them swap me for a cracked screen via cross-shipment and I found that useful.

The screen is made of glass. Unless you're using diamonds in your cockpit you should probably be safe. I've never had a screen protector on a phone or tablet and I've never had a scratch since phones screens went to glass over a decade ago. I just put the iPad in a backpack and it's good to go.

My experience is different. Glass can be scratched by many things besides diamonds.

I use a anti-glare protective film on my mini 6. It’s not perfect but helps quite a bit.

No screen protector. No case. My mount is self-stick velcro. Works great for two iPads in two different airplanes. Both are wired. In the Cessna it fits right over the top of my old Aera in a Gizmo mount. In the Cub I screwed a Lexan plate to the panel above the G3X.

Attachments

• IMG_2532.jpeg
    IMG_2532.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1827.jpeg
    IMG_1827.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back