Best $100 Burger

AerialGhost

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AerialGhost
I am starting to do my cross countries, and I am looking for fun or interesting places to fly. I know not everyone lives where I do, but it would be great if you shared great places you've flown to. Who knows maybe I'll get there one day. I was hoping this would be like the daily pic thread, only with stories.

Last edited:
If you want to come up to Wichita, Stearman Field (1K1) has a pretty darn good hamburger...really good chicken fried steak too!!

Half Moon Bay is the best $100 burger in California, hands down. Fabulous food just south of the airport around the harbor, lots of free transient parking, and amazing scenery (when you can see it).

Better be instrument rated if you come in summer.

There is much better scenery around Lake Tahoe and Lee Vining, but the food isn't as good, and it's a bit of a high altitude hike at Lee Vining (and the deli is closed in winter). There is nothing quite like a high mountain crossing.

Tyler, TX KTYR has a great food at the old terminal bldg.

But the Best Burger I have ever had is Grand Praire TX KGPM (The Mixed Up Burgers)

I am starting to do my cross countries, and I am looking for fun or interesting places to fly. I know not everyone lives where I do, but it would be great if you shared great places you've flown to. Who knows maybe I'll get there one day. I was hoping this would be like the daily pic thread, only with stories.

Hard 8 in Stephenville. Land. They come get you (or you can walk).

Half Moon Bay is the best $100 burger in California, hands down.

Maybe so, but Los Banos has the best burrito. Go across the street to the taqueria in the La Esperanza market. Then walk back to the airport and eat at the picnic table in the shade.

Tim

Maybe so, but Los Banos has the best burrito. Go across the street to the taqueria in the La Esperanza market. Then walk back to the airport and eat at the picnic table in the shade.

Tim

I will definitely have to try that out.

There is a fabulous burrito just off the field at Watsonville (Fidel's), though it's a dump. Zuñiga's has been closed for years, and it wasn't that good.

Most people who go to Los Baños go to the Black Bear Diner, which I don't care for. The flight to that airport isn't that interesting, though the big reservoir to the west can be pretty when it isn't nearly empty (it's a REAL good VFR checkpoint, too).

There is Tai food at the Eastern Sierra Regional (Bishop, CA) Airport. Food's not bad and the Sierra crossing is dramatic.

Bridgeport has the Hay Street Cafe, not bad for an omelette. The Sierra is high and scenic in this area too.

Peach State, GA. (GA2)

Grass field. Park right outside the fence. Great food. Great little museum.

For a full service "on the field" restaurant where the burgers are worth $100 check out Barnstormers at KOFK, Norfolk, NE. Long trip, but if you call me I will have 92 octane MOGAS available for $3.50/ gal. :D

http://barnstormersnebraska.com/

Last edited:
Raton had a good homemade hamburger but I think the FBO changed hands so dunno now.

A better topic might be best breakfast...some of the mountain towns here in Colorado have a fine breakfast...Salida comes to mind, late summer or early fall breakfast on the river watching the kayaks and retrievers...Granby or Steamboat offer excellent early food...even Leadville has something hearty.

I'm sorry, due to Ebola, all cross countries out of Dallas will be met with flame throwers at their destination. Coincidentally, this will provide the best BBQ in Texas.

I'm sorry, due to Ebola, all cross countries out of Dallas will be met with flame throwers at their destination. Coincidentally, this will provide the best BBQ in Texas.

Yeah, but no Texan would get caught dead with BBQ that tastes like chicken. If it ain't brisket, it ain't BBQ.

Red Barn at Sulpher Springs is said to be good. I'll split fuel costs with ya Bryan when you want to go.

And second the nomination for the Skyline Cafe at TYR.

A round robin from Dallas?

DAL > 11R for burger, then KSEP for BBQ supper then home.

11R closes it's doors at 3PM every day. We have poodle girls!

flyer.jpg

I really enjoyed the one at Fast Eddie's in Tok Alaska but it was more like $1600.

Half Moon Bay is the best $100 burger in California, hands down. Fabulous food just south of the airport around the harbor, lots of free transient parking, and amazing scenery (when you can see it).

You mean the diner?

I am partial to Nancy's at Willows, myself.

C'mon down to Port Aransas, TX, on Mustang Island (KRAS) (about 25 miles NE of Corpus Christi). There are way too many awesome restaurants to list, all on a trolley line that costs just 50 cents to ride!

Or, come stay with us overnight at Amelia's Landing Hotel, and you can use our courtesy car. We are within walking distance of NINETEEN BARS. :)

There's way too much to see and do on this island in just one day anyway...

Harris Ranch in CA (3O8). They have their own paved, lighted strip. Walk to restaurant - just 100 yards. Great, very fancy (but country -like style), not too expensive restaurant. If you overdose in alcohol they also have a pretty upscale old Spanish-style hotel next door with a huge lap swimming pool.

425833_294553553943094_410990406_n.jpg

Last edited:
The cafe at KPWT has good fish and chips (and other items). Tie down right in front of the cafe. Oh, and airport management has told me that the tie-down fee only applies for overnight, so don't worry about it on a $100 hamburger run.

The only downside of this is that I save my worst landings for KPWT. I know that everybody at the cafe is grading the landing. I know I do while eating there. :D

A couple of places I like are the restaurant at the Nantucket Airport (KACK) and Howard's Pub on Ockracoke (W95). You can walk to both of them but Howard's is about 1 mile away.
Of course this info doesn't do the OP much good but I'm sure there are other fliers out there that can benefit.

Good biscuits and gravy at Flo's at KCNO (Chino), plus the Planes of Fame museum. If you overdo on the B&G, remember to recheck your W/B :)

Harris Ranch in CA (3O8). They have their own paved, lighted strip. Walk to restaurant - just 100 yards. Great, very fancy (but country -like style), not too expensive restaurant. If you overdose in alcohol they also have a pretty upscale old Spanish-style hotel next door with a huge lap swimming pool.

Yes, but the scenery is terrible. Thousands of acres of steer knee deep in BS.

Lone Star Exec. in Conroe TX KCXO
at the Galaxy FBO on the 3 floor is the
Black Walnut Cafe. Great Food!!
http://blackwalnutcafe.com/
I will second the vote for Conroe. Just remember that the Black Walnut closes at 3 PM on Sunday.

No worries, though. The FBO has a courtesy car, and you can drive to Joe's Italian restaurant in five minutes. They have amazing food.

C'mon down to Port Aransas, TX, on Mustang Island (KRAS) (about 25 miles NE of Corpus Christi). There are way too many awesome restaurants to list, all on a trolley line that costs just 50 cents to ride!

Or, come stay with us overnight at Amelia's Landing Hotel, and you can use our courtesy car. We are within walking distance of NINETEEN BARS. :)

There's way too much to see and do on this island in just one day anyway...

I'll have to come down and check it out. My earliest memories of flying are from when I was about 7 when I used to live in Portland while my dad was stationed at Ingleside. It'd be great go back to the area, and it sounds like a great place to visit.

Yeah, but no Texan would get caught dead with BBQ that tastes like chicken. If it ain't brisket, it ain't BBQ.

More like pulled pork, add some rub before smoking and you could win contests in TX.

I really enjoyed the one at Fast Eddie's in Tok Alaska but it was more like $1600.

+ 1 good food friendly people,good mechanic on field. Could be a long ride for a burger.

Yes, but the scenery is terrible. Thousands of acres of steer knee deep in BS.
I would dispute it, the scenery is very flat indeed but with some nice hills on far horizon. And from 1000+ ft the scenery could be quite impressive.

If you make it down to College Station, head over to Fuegos. Best Tacos ever!

About 5mins drive,there are always crew cars available at the FBO:D

Fill up for gas at KARA and get free cajon food. I used to call to see if they had crawfish étouffée, then mission plan accordingly.

Back