Being sued because our website is not accessable to the visually impared

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by SixPapaCharlie, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    could also sell it to the color blind too....

2. Gerhardt

Gerhardt En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gerhardt
    Huh. Never pegged you for working for a cool company who makes things I really like.

3. Skyrys62

Skyrys62 Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Meet the Fokkers
    Well, one good thing about it all, is that the vision impaired can't see if you are joking about taking cash for instruction.

aftCG and flyingcheesehead like this.
  4. 455 Bravo Uniform

455 Bravo Uniform En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    455 Bravo Uniform
    Did it come via certified mail?

Stingray Don likes this.
  5. tawood

tawood Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    What?

deonb and Zeldman like this.
  6. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    I just ran this page thru the test site...7 errors and 108 alerts.

tsk tsk tsk

7. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cap'n Jack
    Tort!!!
    Tort!!!

8. Ventucky Red

Ventucky Red Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    John S
    A while back there was a shyster in Orange County (California) that was running around a suing restaurants for not being ADA 580 compliant... access ramps, handicap table, bathrooms, etc.... Had a good little business going as many of the suits were for $5000.00 which the owner just paid as it was cheaper that trying to fight it.. He barked up the wrong tree one day and it ended up getting him disbarred let alone a quick trip to the poor house..

There is a god and his sister karma is a real bitch sometimes...

9. bflynn

bflynn Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
    Just reply that you understand you have received an email, but being visually impaired, you cannot decipher the contents and it is illegal of them not to provide the translation. Perhaps you could counter sue anyway because their own email is not encoded for the visually impaired?

Sounds like a new scammer shakedown. Like the phone call of getting sued by the IRS or having one of those tower guys tell you to call a number...sheesh, what do they know? ;)

Lachlan likes this.
  10. write-stuff

write-stuff En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    write-stuff
    We had to contend with a similar complaint/threat a few years back. I have forgotten the details, but there is an accepted argument you can make that it would be too costly for you to do.

11. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    Most of those "test sites" are ridiculous. They'll gig you on things like heading tags not being in descending order (for example, using h3 for subsections of an h1, and then beginning the next section as h2). No one gives a **** about that sort of thing. If a screen reader is able to recite the site and describe the images accurately, that alone puts the site in the the top 10 percent accessibility-wise.

One thing that has always bothered me is when designers use the ALT tags for SEO rather than for their intended purpose (to describe the image). Search engine robots do use the ALT tags to better understand the site, and from time to time they do factor into their SERP algos; so some designers who have lost all sense of ethics and have become total whores to Google try to stuff the tags with keywords for SEO purposes. Spamming the blind, as it were, for SERP.

I'm no big friend of regulations, but I'm an advocate for Web accessibility because it's just so easy to do that there's little excuse not to. If you do nothing but use ems or percents for your fonts so they scale (which you really should be doing anyway for responsiveness), keep the ALT tags honest and descriptive, clean up your ****ty markup, and caption multimedia, even the sleaziest of shysters won't be able to make a case stick.

Rich

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. iflyvfr

iflyvfr Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg
    These extortion threats have been making the rounds in the credit union industry the past 2 years, including my own employer. Here's a little bit from NAFCU: https://www.nafcu.org/ada about it. The industry wags took up the banner on behalf of all credit unions. Because my company has a community-based membership in one geo-statistical area of the state and the complainant was from out of state (Texas or California) we simply argued he was not eligible for membership, so no injury. It was a nuisance but we did clean up our site.

13. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    Interesting, do you have an attorney who could send a return email stating his email discriminated against those with anger disorders by provoking them?

14. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Apparently nothing to see here folks.
    Move along...

15. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Yeah, but best practices can be hard and cost money and thus nobody actually wants to do them, they just want the rewards without the work...

Of course, the first thing I thought of when you mentioned ALT tags was XKCD... Clearly not friendly to the visually impaired!

RJM62 likes this.
  16. Sac Arrow

Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Playa fo real
    I'm sure doing the above is a great idea, however, you shouldn't have to do any of the above. Any rational court should realize that.

17. Stephen Poole

Stephen Poole Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Professor31
    I have learned so much from all of you folks here. Still planning to start working on my license this summer, but I have picked up all sorts of great info here in less than a year. When I can contribute, I'll try. This may be one of those times.

Bryan, it'll cost a few bucks, but go talk to an attorney familiar with ADA. My gut tells me that you don't have much to worry about. I doubt you have more than 14 employees, and there are exceptions for very small businesses. The "client" also has to demonstrate real damages -- "I tried to buy something through that Website and couldn't!" But if you're using Wayfair as your virtual storefront, it seems that THEY, and not you, are the ones on the hook.

Possibility: write a very nice letter saying, "wow, I'm sorry your client had trouble with our Website. Please tell me specifically what deficiencies were found and we'll correct them ASAP." If nothing else, that makes YOU look much better if it does go to court. You're trying to be reasonable.

I strongly suspect that this is an ADA Troll looking for a quick payout. If it turns out to be for real, start a GoFundMe for your legal expenses and I'll kick in some bucks. It'll take a lot of money, though ... and that's what the Troll hopes for: a quick $5,000 check to make him go away.

Since we're in the Hangar, I'll finish with a political-thingie: the United States is one of very, very few nations in the entire world that doesn't have some form of "Loser Pay" law. (In the legal profession, it's called the "English/British Rule." Look it up.) If we had that here in the USA, these legal trolls would disappear overnight.

But anytime anyone in the USA even proposes loser pay, lines get drawn, the American Bar Association screams about children and unfairness, and nothing is ever done. (And besides, some of the biggest donors to Congressional campaigns are -- drum roll, please! -- the lawyers.) (Not to mention that many of the members of Congress are lawyers themselves!)

Meanwhile, your aged grandmother may be sitting in her apartment with no heat, and the landlord doesn't care, because he knows that Grandma can't afford an attorney to take him to court. It's insane.

Keep everyone posted on this. I have a special loathing for patent trolls, ADA trolls, and every other kind of legal troll.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Swampfox201 and Ghery like this.
  18. Sluggo63

Sluggo63 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sluggo63
    When I can contribute, I try. This is one of those times.

BrYan...

...that is all...

;)

19. DutchRoller

DutchRoller Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    DutchRoller
    I always thought there was some sort or reasonableness test for these sort of things.

20. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    I'm not too sure about that. ALT tags being inadequate, insufficient, or spammy are probably the most common grounds for complaints; and ALT tags also have standards defined by W3C. So if they are absent or defective, it's not just a matter of the designer choosing not to do something extra to be nice to visually-impaired people, but rather a matter of not adhering to long-established industry standards.

Even images too complex to be explained in an ALT tag, such as complex charts, have a W3C specification (the "longdesc" link); so the argument that an image is too complicated to describe wouldn't fly with W3C. If the court uses "established industry standards" as a yardstick, then it wouldn't fly with the court, either.

Rich

mcdewey likes this.
  21. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    sooner or later.....he'll see it their way. ;)

22. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    The hard part is IDGAF and if this were MY website, I'd tell them as much.
    However in this situation, I work for a big company with money and lawyers and the need to complicate things.

My response "What are the damages? There is no way we are wasting a minute of energy on this"
    So they are already like "Bryan, go find out how others handle this, we already have our lawyers on the phone."

I just want to convert the website to wingdings.

23. Cluemeister

Cluemeister Line Up and Wait PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cluemeister
    How do I join this class action lawsuit against Bryan’s website? I want to make sure I get my $1.00 coupon settlement.

X3 Skier and RJM62 like this.
  24. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    And maybe even a mousepad if you're really lucky.

Rich

25. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    Bryan, I didn't realize this was work related website... I thought it was yours personally and specifically aviation-related, hence my comment about making as much sense as braille drive up ATMs ... the complaint being that visually-impaired person unable to buy (non)CFI flight time from a (non)CFI from a (non)existant website :D

26. flhrci

flhrci En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    David
    POA is going to sue you just 'cause! LOL

Zeldman likes this.
  27. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    I'm sure it's true that the lawyer chose your company because it has money. But it also is probably true that your site is grossly out of compliance with W3C standards for accessibility, which are the closest thing we have to a baseline.

I say that because if I were a lawyer, ambulance-chasing or otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time (especially if working on contingency) suing over a site that was even within shouting distance of W3C compliance. It would be too chancy. The interpretation of what is an adequate ALT description for a given picture, for example, is just too subjective to take a gamble on. Instead, I'd look for a site that was grossly out of compliance either because of completely lacking accessibility elements or such hopelessly messed-up markup that screen readers throw up their hands and give up trying to read it.

Your best bet, in my non-lawyer opinion, is to hire either a Web designer (not me) renown for his / her expertise in accessibility, or any competent Web designer and a consultant in accessibility who can work together.

I'm out of the bidding. I'm an expert on accessibility, but I'm not a recognized expert. Once you're sued, you need someone well-known in the industry as an expert in that area.

You may want to reach out to AFB. They have a fellow there (Lee, I think) who specializes in low-vision accessibility. They probably also maintain a list of designers who are skilled in accessibility.

Rich

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  28. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    A public company shouldn't have to have an accessible website?

Are you against the ADA in general, or do you just not care about other people?

There's certainly plenty of ADA abuses out there, and I hate these troll lawyers... But having web sites, stores, etc be accessible to blind or otherwise disabled people is a benefit to our society, because it means those people are more able to be self-sufficient. I have a couple of friends who are blind (one lifelong, one as a result of an incident with undiagnosed hypertension) and being able to be functional online is HUGE to them.

@SixPapaCharlie, were I you, I would get your website accessible ASAP, and then tell those lawyers to pound sand.

Spring Ford, ejensen and RJM62 like this.
  29. Stephen Poole

Stephen Poole Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Professor31
    Thanks, @Sluggo63. Edited. I don't like it when people misspell my name.

Sorry, BrYan. ;)

Sluggo63 likes this.
  30. SixPapaCharlie

SixPapaCharlie May the force be with you

Display Name:

Display name:
    6PC
    So could a blind person sue Netflix?

31. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    If the source media has spoken closed captioning for the blind, and they don't pass it along to the users, I would say yes.

If the source media doesn't contain it because it was produced before the technology existed, then I doubt Netflix could be held responsible for providing it (nor that they legally could, given copyright restrictions).

Rich

32. jsstevens

jsstevens En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    jsstevens
    Of course. The question is: "would they win?"

33. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    Depends on the website and business. In my business, I can't imagine a blind person ever using what we sell. It may or may not be ADA compliant.

34. tawood

tawood Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    You obviously have no experience with the court system.

35. jsstevens

Display Name:

Display name:
    jsstevens
    And they, in fact, do. I accidentally turned on the audio narration (don't remember what the option was called) and started WALLE. It was, interesting. Given that the first 45 minutes or so of that movie has no dialog, I'm not sure how useful it would be.

36. RJM62

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geek On The Hill
    It describes things like scenery and the characters' actions. That's far better than nothing for a blind person.

Rich

37. jsstevens

Display Name:

Display name:
    jsstevens
    Yes. I listened to some of it. But that movie in particular would be hard to keep up with as a blind person.

38. aftCG

aftCG Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    aftCG
    People advocating coughing up $5k to make the troll go away must think more trolls won't be along shortly.

Troll #1 is likely working a list of soft targets (ie, operating in the black) he paid for.

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  39. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    Not enough information. Does said blind person have enough cash for the filing fee?

40. Salty

Salty En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty