Beef has a much greater environmental burden...

If they consume more nitrogen and release more CO2, then I guess it means we need to eat more beef!

Yeah, they aren't highly efficient, but they are yummy.:D But yeah, if we trade off beef for long pork, we can make a big impact on the environment very quickly.

gasp!!! It's cows, not American SUV owners, that are responsible for global warming.

I guess it's time to shut down the incessant rants of the lunatic fringe, against middle class Americans, so they are all free to begin their lunatic rants against cows.

That won't work, though, because it will much harder to steal from cows, to fund phony mmgw ( I guess that should be phony Cmgw) initiatives.

Wow, cows eat dirt? The OP says they use more land. :rolleyes:

Can't the ranchers figure out the best use of their land? The flat land is used for crops and rough rocky ground waste land is used for pastures around here. Seems to work pretty well as our economy is one of the best in the country. We don't run deficits here, fairly unheard of practice that has served us pretty well.

Another practice that has served us well is let the people who own the land decided what is most economical and let the market decide what products the farmers should produce. Its called free enterprise and capitalism. ;)

Last edited:
Do you think it BS because you don't like the conclusions, or do you have data suggesting something else?

First you have to believe that CO2 is bad. It is not, water is more of a green house gas than CO2. It is plant food. :dunno:

The plains supported millions of bison, and we replaced them with cattle. What is the problem?

This report is proof positive scientists are bored and need more to do real work of value to out country.

Last edited:
…than other sources of protein, including fowl, pork, eggs and dairy. Cows use an order of magnitude more land, water, and consume far more nitrogen and release more CO2, according to a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I'm curious what your take on the trend to pave bicycle trails is. Not only are we blowing carbon, toxic chemicals and tax payer money but they even started PAINTING LINES on them.

Where is the study of environmental impact of say a 50,000 seat stadium over a 30 year span including the transportation to get people into and out of the thing?

my god, this has been known for a long time...is someone making it look like a new discovery?

Just like it's well known that corn is the SUV of crops (i.e. one of the least efficient).

Feed corn to cattle and it's a double whammy.

But I love 'em both!

First you have to believe that CO2 is bad. It is plant food. :dunno:

The plains supported millions of bison, and we replaced them with cattle. What is the problem?

This report is proof positive scientists are bored and need more to do real work of value to out country.

If we had all the undisturbed prarie that Bison roomed on, and the same human population of the day, it woundn't be.

More than you ever wanted to know about the carbon footprint of the egg industry in the US.

http://egg-cite.com/presentations/xin/xin.pdf

I believe many would be shocked at how seriously the animal protein industry takes this issue and how much work is being put into sustainability initiatives and footprint reduction.

Eggman

wrt the OP: So what?

I am glad so many of you guys have gone vegetarian. We need more of you so I can happily free-ride and enjoy me some nice steak off my grill.

If we had all the undisturbed prarie that Bison roomed on, and the same human population of the day, it woundn't be.

I assume you mean roamed. ;)

I agree, close the damn borders. :yes:

We grow enough food to feed us and a larger percentage of the world. People starve on this planet due to politics not lack of food. We have the most efficient system to produce food and get it to market than any other country, including beef!

The attack on raising cattle is nothing more than another shot by the left to make us feel guilty about what we do and how we live. America, and our way of life, is the best country the planet has ever seen. American exceptionalism is under attack. What is indisputable is this country is a place for exceptional ideas including freedom, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Last edited:
gasp!!! It's cows, not American SUV owners, that are responsible for global warming.

I guess it's time to shut down the incessant rants of the lunatic fringe, against middle class Americans, so they are all free to begin their lunatic rants against cows.

That won't work, though, because it will much harder to steal from cows, to fund phony mmgw ( I guess that should be phony Cmgw) initiatives.
Cattle can't vote.

Do you think it BS because you don't like the conclusions, or do you have data suggesting something else?
When the planet was lousy with dinosaurs, who ate and farted and lot more than your basic herd of steers, the Earth survived just fine.

When the planet was lousy with dinosaurs, who ate and farted and lot more than your basic herd of steers, the Earth survived just fine.

And CO2 levels were much higher than today, hence why we had so many jungles and plant eating dinosaurs. CO2 is plant food. The more CO2 the better plants grow, the more plants grow the more CO2 they consume. Funny how that all works without us getting all excited about it. :dunno:

It's people who eat cows that are responsible for the cows same as for their cars and electric plants. Now, the Earth will sustain a limited amount of anything, the question is, would you rather put a steak towards the limit or your drive to work? Nature will sustain a billion people's crap, after that you have to compensate for what nature cannot do.

And CO2 levels were much higher than today, hence why we had so many jungles and plant eating dinosaurs. CO2 is plant food. The more CO2 the better plants grow, the more plants grow the more CO2 they consume. Funny how that all works without us getting all excited about it. :dunno:

The more plants there are, since all things die, the more methane in the atmosphere, the more methane in the atmosphere, the stupider people will become.

Not good news for mankind, but on the bright side, mankind is not good for earth, so anything that expedites our removal at this point is a good thing, we have pretty much run our course of evolution, we've stagnated and even begun regressing in key areas of cultural evolution that are required to run at population levels that our technological brilliance has brought about. That was our addition to "the big picture", but just like the Army, God, Evolution, however you want to look at it, time..., it's 'Up or Out'. If you can't advance you have reached your limit of usefulness.

Last year fish replaced beef in terms of highest tunnage of farm raised meat. However, the fish raised in China (think talapia and catfish) are raised in sespools at the lower end of livestock farms or villages.
This is the end result of the green movement, true recycling where we all end up eating our own crap.
If you see the words "farm raised" and "China" on your food then it is probably not fit for consumption.

Off Topic Recently I was driving through a hobby farm community that went rail trail happy about 15 years ago... There were signs about an initiative to kill the rail trail and bring back trains. You know they love trains. Hilarious.
I'm curious what your take on the trend to pave bicycle trails is. Not only are we blowing carbon, toxic chemicals and tax payer money but they even started PAINTING LINES on them.

Where is the study of environmental impact of say a 50,000 seat stadium over a 30 year span including the transportation to get people into and out of the thing?

…than other sources of protein, including fowl, pork, eggs and dairy. Cows use an order of magnitude more land, water, and consume far more nitrogen and release more CO2, according to a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

But beef is tasty, nutritional and is my preferred protein.

What about all of the phosphates and other runoff into streams and waterways from those who grow soybeans as an alternate, tasteless, textureless protein substitute? No thanks! Give me a nice herd of cows instead.

Please take your crusade elsewhere. :mad2: I am a member of PETA--People Enjoying Tasty Animals.

P.S.--vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.

Off Topic Recently I was driving through a hobby farm community that went rail trail happy about 15 years ago... There were signs about an initiative to kill the rail trail and bring back trains. You know they love trains. Hilarious.

What is wrong with trains?

The more plants there are, since all things die, the more methane in the atmosphere, the more methane in the atmosphere, the stupider people will become.

Not good news for mankind, but on the bright side, mankind is not good for earth, so anything that expedites our removal at this point is a good thing, we have pretty much run our course of evolution, we've stagnated and even begun regressing in key areas of cultural evolution that are required to run at population levels that our technological brilliance has brought about. That was our addition to "the big picture", but just like the Army, God, Evolution, however you want to look at it, time..., it's 'Up or Out'. If you can't advance you have reached your limit of usefulness.

Does that mean you are volunteering to exit stage left? :D

What is wrong with trains?
Trains are great for moving stuff, for moving people not so much. Funny that these people championed rails to trails and now have changed their minds.

But beef is tasty, nutritional and is my preferred protein.

Have at it.

What about all of the phosphates and other runoff into streams and waterways from those who grow soybeans as an alternate, tasteless, textureless protein substitute? No thanks! Give me a nice herd of cows instead.

Legumes can fix atmospheric nitrogen out of the air, thus can put fertilizer in the ground rather than taking it out.

Please take your crusade elsewhere. :mad2: I am a member of PETA--People Enjoying Tasty Animals.

P.S.--vegetables are not food. Vegetables are what food eats.

No crusade, just thought it might be of interest. Surprised I got your gander up so high. But if the only vegetarian food you've eaten is tasteless and textureless, you haven't been eating food cooked in the kitchens of Steinholme.

Wow, cows eat dirt? The OP says they use more land. :rolleyes:

Can't the ranchers figure out the best use of their land? The flat land is used for crops and rough rocky ground waste land is used for pastures around here. Seems to work pretty well as our economy is one of the best in the country. We don't run deficits here, fairly unheard of practice that has served us pretty well.

Another practice that has served us well is let the people who own the land decided what is most economical and let the market decide what products the farmers should produce. Its called free enterprise and capitalism. ;)

BLASPHEMER! Only the government knows best. Have you learned nothing during all these years in the SZ? You need some reeducation sir.

If I were you I'd stay away from the windows so when the flash bang grenade is launched into your house by the DHS Brown Shirts, you won't get hurt by flying glass.

I assume you mean roamed. ;)

I agree, close the damn borders. :yes:

We grow enough food to feed us and a larger percentage of the world. People starve on this planet due to politics not lack of food. We have the most efficient system to produce food and get it to market than any other country, including beef!

The attack on raising cattle is nothing more than another shot by the left to make us feel guilty about what we do and how we live. America, and our way of life, is the best country the planet has ever seen. American exceptionalism is under attack. What is indisputable is this country is a place for exceptional ideas including freedom, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Now that's crazy talk.

Ethanol in gasoline is a colossal waste of the same thing and steals food from the table to boot.

This kind of comparison is ludicrous. We can do this all day. What's your favorite food? Whatever it is it will be more wasteful than whatever my favorite food is, wanna bet?

Last year fish replaced beef in terms of highest tunnage of farm raised meat. However, the fish raised in China (think talapia and catfish) are raised in sespools at the lower end of livestock farms or villages.
This is the end result of the green movement, true recycling where we all end up eating our own crap.
If you see the words "farm raised" and "China" on your food then it is probably not fit for consumption.

Likewise with this country's obsession with "organic" farm products. In normal farms, sick animals get meds to bring them back to health. On an organic farm, a sick animal gets nothing, and ultimately go to market as a sick animal. And that's supposed to healthier for us. I don't think so.

Well, Hennign is always talking about how good it would be if the planet "shed" about 5 billion people.

Maybe all the mmgw whores should all kill yourselves to find out if that helps.

BLASPHEMER! Only the government knows best. Have you learned nothing during all these years in the SZ? You need some reeducation sir.

If I were you I'd stay away from the windows so when the flash bang grenade is launched into your house by the DHS Brown Shirts, you won't get hurt by flying glass.

And MAKE SURE your baby is NOT in a crib, as the brown shirts also like to throw grenades in cribs and pretend they were "afraid."

The federal rails to trails program exists to maintain RR ROWs for potential future use. Ours is just getting dug up for a pipeline.

Back