Beech BE-33 down in CT. Pilot survives

Women pilots. Always trying to crash like the men do.

0sMLEFM.jpg

I think she is going to need something else to fly on her 709 ride.

With all due respect, you guys are not seriously making judgments based on a media report??? How about we give her the benefit of the doubt until we hear real facts. Could have been a leak or some other issue.

Kevin

With all due respect, you guys are not seriously making judgments based on a media report??? How about we give her the benefit of the doubt until we hear real facts. Could have been a leak or some other issue.

Kevin

It is our job to speculate. We are equal opportunity speculators. :D

ditto OUCH from that pic ... from the initial post I had a mental pic of "off airport landing just short of the runway"
minor injuries? go buy a lotto ticket, lady!

There were some pretty funny comments in the comment section of the article....

why are we not focusing on the real tragedy here......6PC's new avatar!?!!?

From the flightaware data, she was only airborne a few minutes. From her ground track and altitude, she turned away from an airport that was easily within her gliding distance. I would not be surprised if she did not retard the prop to the rear stop, which would have greatly extended her glide (at least another 50%).

n4548s flight path.png

I missed where it says that

Yeah, me too.:dunno: it is one more 'in the trees, pilot walks away' wreck though. People seem afraid of tree tops, but they are soft when you hit them. If you have a small clearing of a couple hundred feet, you may be better to go for the tree tops.

I can't fathom why she turned the way she did with SNC right there under her.

People have lost what fuel they had out of sumps and drains and gas cap problems before. Until we get the full story she needs given a fairshake.

Yeah, me too.:dunno: it is one more 'in the trees, pilot walks away' wreck though. People seem afraid of tree tops, but they are soft when you hit them. If you have a small clearing of a couple hundred feet, you may be better to go for the tree tops.

Agreed... The canopy tops of trees are a great way to dissipate energy...

People have lost what fuel they had out of sumps and drains and gas cap problems before. Until we get the full story she needs given a fairshake.

Yep. But, if it turns out she did just run out of fuel, I request this thread be renamed: Some pilots are morons. :D:D

Glad she's ok

I happened to be flying nearby yesterday and heard the whole conversation with ATC. The sun was low in the sky and very bright and by her flight path she was looking right into the sun at the time of her problem. As she got below 2000 feet she was desperately trying to get in touch with ATC but they couldn't hear her anymore. It was actually very scary and a number of pilots over the air asked her to switch fuel tanks but she was too distraught. She didn't know where the nearest airport was and said all that was in front of her were trees.

I'm very thankful that she survived the crash. I felt really bad because I thought I saw her low in the sky and should've turned back to help her find the airport but she just seems so upset and confused that I don't know what I could've done for her. It was all over in a few minutes.

I happened to be flying nearby yesterday and heard the whole conversation with ATC. The sun was low in the sky and very bright and by her flight path she was looking right into the sun at the time of her problem. As she got below 2000 feet she was desperately trying to get in touch with ATC but they couldn't hear her anymore. It was actually very scary and a number of pilots over the air asked her to switch fuel tanks but she was too distraught. She didn't know where the nearest airport was and said all that was in front of her were trees.

I'm very thankful that she survived the crash. I felt really bad because I thought I saw her low in the sky and should've turned back to help her find the airport but she just seems so upset and confused that I don't know what I could've done for her. It was all over in a few minutes.
Well, we see a failure of flight planning and loss of SA due to panic. I wonder if she'll fly again.

As she got below 2000 feet she was desperately trying to get in touch with ATC but they couldn't hear her anymore. It was actually very scary and a number of pilots over the air asked her to switch fuel tanks but she was too distraught. She didn't know where the nearest airport was and said all that was in front of her were trees.

Aww man. I've been to a situation like that: lost and low on fuel. I'm a little ashamed to admit that my first reaction was to panic and try to contact ATC too (Canon Approach). But when that failed, I came to my senses. I turned in a direction that made me cross a freeway eventually and then followed that freeway to an airport. Parked with 6 gallons despite the detour. :rolleyes:

Why not? She's not heavily injured, so bah. She'll buy a Cirrus and have a chute for the next time.

Or get a G-500 so she has situational awareness staring at her. I give her 50/50 going either way, adding technology or quitting.

Agreed... The canopy tops of trees are a great way to dissipate energy...
...if you are flying when you hit them. Stall it in and it's easy to bypass the soft parts. I'm betting she flew it in.

...if you are flying when you hit them. Stall it in and it's easy to bypass the soft parts. I'm betting she flew it in.

Yup,, Me too..

But I bet ALOT of energy was absorbed when the trees ripped off the vertical stabilizer and rudder....

Lucky gal for sure...

Ps... I bet she NEVER gets in a small plane again...:no:

Luck was on her side,glad no serious injury. I believe in waiting for the initial report to come out before I judge another pilot.

I'm sure the FAA investigators would like to talk to you to save them some time. And I'm interested in what the truth is, and how you came to have it?
:rofl:You want the truth? You couldn't handle the truth.:rofl: Tell us at what link the accident necklace should have been thwarted?:lol:

The very worst facet of this site is the rapidity with which some members turn on and condemn fellow pilots long before all the facts are known.

It's repulsive, actually.

The very worst facet of this site is the rapidity with which some members turn on and condemn fellow pilots long before all the facts are known.

Its out of fear though right?
Like a defense mechanism?

If you can find something that someone else did that to you is wrong then you can separate yourself from dying that particular death.

Repulsive is about right.

I just lost an acquaintance in an accident and can only reflect on how I would feel if that accident got tossed around in here. But if folks don't care there's not much you can do about it.

It's sort of like trolling without the anonymity which = AH

Back