The trimming advice you were offered here was not to flick some remembered number of turns, but to trim properly by setting your pitch and trimming off the pressure.

We all know you're going to ignore the anti-digitization stuff, and likely everything else.

As Hillary would say, "There's no news here"

Actually, I don't run checklists on paper while moving either. Nor do I program the GPS, switch radios, set squawk codes, or anything else. I require the same of anyone else in the airplane. Most accidents and incidents occur on the ground. While ramp rash won't usually kill you, it sure can get expensive.

While taxiing, your job is to get the aircraft from point A to point B without hitting anything. If you need to do something else, stop. If you're in the way, move somewhere where you're not, then do it. Ground is very helpful if you need a spot to pull off; if you're at a nontowered airport, you can just get out of the way.
My DPE kept trying to distract me during taxi. I did my checkride at the same airport where two planes taxied into each other not long after.

The trimming advice you were offered here was not to flick some remembered number of turns, but to trim properly by setting your pitch and trimming off the pressure.

We all know you're going to ignore the anti-digitization stuff, and likely everything else.

As Hillary would say, "There's no news here"

Oh I already knew that. I counted to three but I would have made further adjustments if the pressure didn't feel right. At that point I was just transitioning into slow flight. I understand the principles I have just gotten so much advice on this forum it's hard to keep track of to what you were referring.

Throwing me into a class of Hillary supporters is uncalled for. Build the wall! Drain the swamp!

So I recently completed my first solo flight in a piper Cherokee 140. It was three full stop landings and takeoffs. The video I have included is the very first one.

I also wrote a short blog post about how someone can become a private pilot. I did a lot of research prior to making the decision to start flying. Hope it helps anyone in here lurking questioning whether they have what it takes. The answer is you do if you love it!

How to Become a Private Pilot

Really confused here.... your post on here says you just recently solod in a piper cherokee.

I also may have read you have just under 18 hrs..

Do you have a PPL already ?

Your blog post says "From beginning to end it took me about 6 months to achieve my private pilots license."

Just curious.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the solo, pilot guy, I bet she flew like a rocket with just you in her. (I too soloed in a 140)

Glad that you have thick skin and can shrug off non-helpful feedback here. But please do stay and absorb the good feedback. That's what makes a good pilot, constant learning.
As many here said: don't take your CFI's word as gospel. You are free to question it and ask for clarification or explanation. If he cannot provide it, find another CFI who will. (I got lucky, I only flew with awesome smart CFIs)

Good luck on your journey and hopefully all this feedback will help you progress faster in your training. And do not be afraid to ask questions and post videos. We like to answer and watch. :)

The odd part of this thread is, the kid says he "already knew" everything that was clearly not demonstrated in the video. 84 replies into a first post makes me think that the BS meter is leaning towards red.

No more from me until the supposed CFI review takes place.

from his blog page: "From beginning to end it took me about 6 months to achieve my private pilots license."

maybe he's trying to drive traffic to his blog page...

so Pilot Guy...what is your status?

I remember the early days of my training. My CFI always asked me, before I even moved, "Where's the wind? How do you hold the controls?"

You must live in Kansas or something...

To the OP, congrats. There are some things to learn in all the bluster of this thread, but don't take it too seriously. You've got time to learn. The fact that you've stuck around indicates that you are willing to learn (or are foolish, I don't know which! ;))

from his blog page: "From beginning to end it took me about 6 months to achieve my private pilots license."

maybe he's trying to drive traffic to his blog page...

so Pilot Guy...what is your status?

Currently a student, took a few snippets from talking with other private pilots I have met through some of my training. You are correct I was trying to drive traffic while also testing the waters of this forum.

The odd part of this thread is, the kid says he "already knew" everything that was clearly not demonstrated in the video. 84 replies into a first post makes me think that the BS meter is leaning towards red.

No more from me until the supposed CFI review takes place.

You saw 7 minutes of my entire training. My very first solo of all time. I never said I already knew everything. In fact I admitted to not knowing about keeping pressure off of the nose gear during taxi. You are just under the assumption that I know nothing. That is none of my concern. My goal was not to impress you. My goal was to test the waters of this forum. What I have found thus far is that the water has some great members. Others on the other hand seem to know everything. Although I cannot read your mannerisms or your facial expressions. I sense an overwhelming amount of distaste from you.

This is fine, as I have never met any of you folks in real life so obviously, what I have to go on comes from my CFI. I am receiving countless private messages on here about how I should stick with this forum.

One thing I knew before even coming here is that the majority of pilots know everything. Please remember "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.". Continue to throw shade at me. I can handle it, I am going to continue my private pilot training as a student regardless of anything that happens on a forum. I didn't come here asking to be preached at, if you have advise there are nicer ways of going about it. Manners go a long way in this world. Something I hope you don't overlook.

I would like to thank everyone for there comments, praises, and even criticisms. Kind of a punch in the face coming into this forum. I've been punched in the face before and I am a big boy who can deal with it.

I would also like to say I am in no way agitated by the negative posts. It just seems you aren't allowed to defend yourself in anyway. Now that I know this, and how sensitive some members can be I will simply keep my replies. "Thank you so much! You are so brilliant! I will do everything that you say!"

Haven't read this thread, just wanted to see what 6PC was up to. I will tomorrow though!

One thing I knew before even coming here is that the majority of pilots know everything.

I think that the majority of pilots know they DON'T know everything. Many do try to share their knowledge, and it's not always pretty, necessary, or even correct. But of all the comments I've seen on this thread, a great many come from some very experienced pilots and instructors. You're blog implied you already are a PP, but you said that you only just soloed, so there is plenty of confusion here about your level of experience. Either way, your video shows some techniques that differ from the way many of us were trained and many of us are pointing that out. If you want to get anything from this adventure one thing to take away is that you should ask "why" a lot - Why do THIS? Why do it THIS way?

And seriously, if that was your first solo then congratulations, you've done something that very few people in the history of this planet have done.

#include<stdio.h>

int main(int argc, void **argv) {
printf("Hello, World\n");
return 0;​
}

I don't know how we got into this silly diversion, but the above is NOT a portable C program. The implementation is only required to support char*[] or char** as the second argument.

OK. I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I read the entire thread. I'm an experienced CFII, and while I would be teaching you differently than your CFI, I think I understand what he's trying to accomplish with you. Like taxing hands off he wants you to understand that your feet on the rudder pedals steer the plane. More than likely you were trying to steer with the yoke, as in a car. Hey I did it, and everyone here did it the first few lessons. Most airplane POHs have a diagram of how to hold the controls during taxi. I'm sure your CFI will get to this, which as everyone has mentioned is important and the examiner will be testing you on it. Soft field taxi technique should be taught NOW if you're operating out of a grass field. I agree with the others about taxing on a grass strip and the proper placement of the yoke. I'll watch the video tomorrow maybe. Good luck, and don't let the comments run ya off. Oh, has your cfi mentioned boobs yet?

I would like to thank everyone for there comments, praises, and even criticisms. Kind of a punch in the face coming into this forum. I've been punched in the face before and I am a big boy who can deal with it.

I would also like to say I am in no way agitated by the negative posts. It just seems you aren't allowed to defend yourself in anyway. Now that I know this, and how sensitive some members can be I will simply keep my replies. "Thank you so much! You are so brilliant! I will do everything that you say!"
Naa, you just have to ignore some posts. Most of the time though, even the ones you think are negative or harsh are just being misinterpreted. It is hard to extract tone from a text message. If you were just sitting around in a room having these discussions, i'm sure everyone would come off very differently.

I think that the majority of pilots know they DON'T know everything. Many do try to share their knowledge, and it's not always pretty, necessary, or even correct. But of all the comments I've seen on this thread, a great many come from some very experienced pilots and instructors. You're blog implied you already are a PP, but you said that you only just soloed, so there is plenty of confusion here about your level of experience. Either way, your video shows some techniques that differ from the way many of us were trained and many of us are pointing that out. If you want to get anything from this adventure one thing to take away is that you should ask "why" a lot - Why do THIS? Why do it THIS way?

And seriously, if that was your first solo then congratulations, you've done something that very few people in the history of this planet have done.

Understood, sorry for the confusion. I will begin to ask why more instead of just doing as asked. Solid advice.

This was my genuine first solo. In fact that video goes on for two more landings. I just assumed people would only want to see the very first one though.

I am somewhat tempted to show the entire video even before he got out of the plane. That would give everyone more clarity as to what he is specifically teaching me.

I am very fortunate to have all 17.7 hours of flight on video. It is great for review.

My first solo landing. Two hands on the yoke. I about never lived that down.

View attachment 48943

You're making me feel better about myself already.. thanks for the post!

OK. I couldn't wait until tomorrow so I read the entire thread. I'm an experienced CFII, and while I would be teaching you differently than your CFI, I think I understand what he's trying to accomplish with you. Like taxing hands off he wants you to understand that your feet on the rudder pedals steer the plane. More than likely you were trying to steer with the yoke, as in a car. Hey I did it, and everyone here did it the first few lessons. Most airplane POHs have a diagram of how to hold the controls during taxi. I'm sure your CFI will get to this, which as everyone has mentioned is important and the examiner will be testing you on it. Soft field taxi technique should be taught NOW if you're operating out of a grass field. I agree with the others about taxing on a grass strip and the proper placement of the yoke. I'll watch the video tomorrow maybe. Good luck, and don't let the comments run ya off. Oh, has your cfi mentioned boobs yet?

I am sure he will get to it as well. He seems very experienced to me. Let me ask you this if the grass strip is well taken care of i.e. no glaring holes, constantly mowed, and great maintenance could this be why he isn't as worried about me reducing pressure during taxi? Could it also be the low rate of speed at taxi with my feet on the toe breaks at all times in case of an emergency. He is a stickler about having my hand on the throttle at all times and feet to the floor. The times he asks me to reduce pressure on the front wheel is during takeoff. That he is adamant about and he did explain why I should do that to reduce the chance of prop strike.

The first time I had my hand of the throttle at takeoff he slammed the right rudder. He showed me how poor my reaction time was in an emergency. Needless to say I will not take my hand off the throttle anymore.

No he has not yet mentioned boobs is this some kind of acronym or genuine boobies.

Naa, you just have to ignore some posts. Most of the time though, even the ones you think are negative or harsh are just being misinterpreted. It is hard to extract tone from a text message. If you were just sitting around in a room having these discussions, i'm sure everyone would come off very differently.

I agree completely, if this was a face to face encounter I'm sure I wouldn't feel as badgered. There have been a lot of quality posts in here as well. Some of them just seem know-it-all in nature. A face to face encounter would clear up that misinterpretation.

Let me ask you this if the grass strip is well taken care of i.e. no glaring holes, constantly mowed, and great maintenance could this be why he isn't as worried about me reducing pressure during taxi? Could it also be the low rate of speed at taxi with my feet on the toe breaks at all times in case of an emergency. He is a stickler about having my hand on the throttle at all times and feet to the floor. The times he asks me to reduce pressure on the front wheel is during takeoff. That he is adamant about and he did explain why I should do that to reduce the chance of prop strike.

Not a CFI: Google "Law of primacy". You should be taught the right way, the first time, so that it sinks in. He might have perfectly valid reasons for teaching you the way he is, but you'll need to ask him about it - "Hey, I was reading up and see that soft-field techniques say you should relieve pressure on the nose wheel during taxi. Should I be doing that? Why, why not?" Remember, your CFI works for you.

You might be able to assume your grass strip is smooth, flat, and hard, and get away without treating it as anything other than that. But when you go to another strip, it might not be as forgiving and if you've gotten into bad habits you might learn an expensive lesson. Granted, just because it's grass, doesn't mean it's a soft field, but many pilots believe it's generally a pretty good idea to treat it that way.

Lame... don't cower to the douches. Yeah, some people can be sensitive here - some *******s, some do-gooders, some all-knowing and wise, and some have **** that apparently doesn't stink... pilots are not a humble crowd (myself included), but you just roll with it and handle those kind of personalities accordingly. I came to these boards last year around this time and was dealt a lot of blows. My entrance was made extra special by the fact that I possess boobs. Some days I threw back and some days I just rolled my eyes. Overall, I'm glad I've stuck around. While weeding through the ****, I've learned a lot and made some new friends.

Last edited:
I am sure he will get to it as well. He seems very experienced to me. Let me ask you this if the grass strip is well taken care of i.e. no glaring holes, constantly mowed, and great maintenance could this be why he isn't as worried about me reducing pressure during taxi? Could it also be the low rate of speed at taxi with my feet on the toe breaks at all times in case of an emergency. He is a stickler about having my hand on the throttle at all times and feet to the floor. The times he asks me to reduce pressure on the front wheel is during takeoff. That he is adamant about and he did explain why I should do that to reduce the chance of prop strike.

The first time I had my hand of the throttle at takeoff he slammed the right rudder. He showed me how poor my reaction time was in an emergency. Needless to say I will not take my hand off the throttle anymore.

No he has not yet mentioned boobs is this some kind of acronym or genuine boobies.

First things first! You should immediately talk to your CFI and ask him why he hasn't mentioned boobies! Very important.

But seriously, you appeared to be taxing at a pretty good clip for any airport, paved or grass. SLOW DOWN! I teach to hold full back pressure on grass to relieve pressure and weight on the nose wheel as the nose wheel is not as strong as the main wheels. As Matthew above points out, you should use the same soft field technique regardless of the actual condition of the grass field. Some are manicured like a golf course, others can be very rough. As I think you stated that this was his plane, I'm surprised he hasn't taught you this. Read up on soft field takeoffs and landings, it's all explained there. And yes, keep your hand on the throttle!

Oh, as far as counting to 3 on the trim handle, I understand what you're doing is to just get the trim in the ballpark and then you 'fine tune' the trim where you desire it. Nothing wrong there IMO.

Keep at it, and ask anything you want on here. Take Cajun's advice. You just have to take the good with the bad, and sometimes the ridiculous and terrible, on POA.

Last edited:
Pilot Guy,
I like your ambition and your search for knowledge.

Given your interest and your blog; I'd suggest buying "The Complete Guide to Flight Instruction"

I think this book will give you ideas for your blog and also for the approach with your CFI

Late to the party, but congrats on the solo. Lots more to learn... but you're having fun.

You don't get into your car and punch the gas pedal to the floor do you?

Actually I do, but it has a freaking computer handling the engine because it's 2016... aviation, not so much. :)

giphy.gif

... Built everything on your panel. STFU. :)

Speeding? No.
Accelerating WOT, if possible, often.
No point in dawdling. Gets the shifting over with.
And WOT (when coupled with short-shifting to keep the revs low) yields better economy, as it minimizes pumping losses. But it's much more fun to tear to redline now and then!

And WOT (when coupled with short-shifting to keep the revs low) yields better economy, as it minimizes pumping losses. But it's much more fun to tear to redline now and then!

Yup. That's doubly so in the diesel. Keep 'er below 2000 RPM, floor it, and shift quick to keep the turbo spooled up. Torque is fun.

Lame... don't cower to the douches. Yeah, some people can be sensitive here - some *******s, some do-gooders, some all-knowing and wise, and some have **** that apparently doesn't stink... pilots are not a humble crowd (myself included), but you just roll with it and handle those kind of personalities accordingly. I came to these boards last year around this time and was dealt a lot of blows. My entrance was made extra special by the fact that I possess boobs. Some days I threw back and some days I just rolled my eyes. Overall, I'm glad I've stuck around. While weeding through the ****, I've learned a lot and made some new friends.

Well said.

I haven't even soloed yet, so first congratulations, looks like it all went really well.

Some others mentioned your taxi speed, I'm inexperienced but watching the video I was wondering if you were taxiing as fast as it looked, I have usually been told to keep it slower than that. I was thinking "is he taxiing THAT fast? Man!"

It's funny about the throttle, from my first takeoff my CFI was pressing me "full throttle! full Throttle!" And I didn't think I was being too gentle on it. He knows what he is doing but I had read somewhere one should count to three from idle to full...which I guess is about two seconds. I don't know, my CFI is very experienced, and I was seriously considering next takeoff doing exactly as you did with the throttle. Maybe I ought to. It feels wrong to jam it (and contrary) but like I said, he gets on me as if I am taking it too slow.

Again, I'm a total newbie, and I think the camera angle was tricking me so it looked like a really shallow climb out, from what we've been doing but again I guess this is because the camera is higher than your view from the pilot seat.

I just had one suggestion, next time it would be really good if you took off the shades so the camera could see out the windshield, I really wanted to see the final descent, etc. but the shades are in the way.

Good job though! Thanks for sharing the video. I hope I stay as cool as you did when it's my time to solo.

Back