Congrats on achieving this milestone! Well done!

You posted your video because you were proud of your achievement, and that's great. All of us that have been through it will never forget our first solo. It is truly a major turning point in someone's journey through life.

But, by posting your video, you open yourself up to comments, advice, and criticism (hopefully constructive). You seem quick to defend everything, and I even detect some annoyance in your responses. I recommend you consider that those who are giving the advice may know a thing or two. Of course you're going to get the nit-pickers, the pedants (I'm one of those I suppose), and curmudgeons. But you'll also get some folks who genuinely want to provide some sage advice for a new pilot. I suggest you consider some of the advice that is given and ask your CFI about some of the comments. You've come a long way for sure, but your journey isn't over yet (hint - it's a never-ending journey).

One example is having your hands on the controls while taxiing. That is great advice. You dismissed that advice with a smart remark. I'm not sure who's teaching you, but positioning the flight controls during taxi is a good habit to get into. You should be climbing into the wind and diving away from it (or whatever is appropriate for the airplane you are in) while taxiing. Also, as stated, keeping the weight off the nose on a grass strip is a very good idea, too.

Once again, congratulations, and good luck with the rest of your training.

My CFI has taught me why I trim I am going into slow flight. I am looking for a speed essentially, however at my home airport in this particular plane the speed I wish to achieve is always at 3 spins on the trim.

I'd rather have the Ipad it's great that you like to do things with paper but my Ipad has GPS and Weather. It also has all of my checklists where I can easily access them.

No need to have your hands on the yolks for taxi. Your nose wheel is meant to be on the ground during taxi for steering purposes. If your personal preference is to ride a wheelie up and down the taxi way that's fine but I'd prefer not to.

Some 'thoughts' from someone who just recently completed my PPL, posted the journey on a blog with links here on these forums, as well as videos to receive the aforementioned advice/criticism. While you might not agree with all of the advice/criticism on this forum (I don't), much of it is excellent and should not just be dismissed out of hand.

Don't be in the habit of a specific number of turns on the trim. I also trained in 140's and a 180. The school has four of the 140's and the trim in each one is just a bit different. One turn of the trim does not move the trim the same amount from plane to plane. I was taught 'pitch, power, trim.' You pitch the plane, adjust the power, and then trim to remove pressure for whatever flight attitude you are looking for. That particular plane may be 3 turns on the pitch, but it is a lot easier to just remember to trim to relieve pressure than remember which plane you're in and how many times to turn the handle. (There are enough other numbers to remember when flying)

pburger has it right on taxiing. Keep your left hand on the yolk, even when taxiing. This is even more important when on a grass strip as it keeps less weight on the nose wheel. You will not ever ride a wheelie down the taxiway doing this (assuming you aren't taxiing at high speeds...) and you will be glad to have that extra inch or so clearance in the front when you hit some bumps in the field so you don't have a prop strike.

Congratulations on the solo, keep flying, keep learning, and keep having fun.

My CFI has taught me why I trim I am going into slow flight. I am looking for a speed essentially, however at my home airport in this particular plane the speed I wish to achieve is always at 3 spins on the trim.

I'd rather have the Ipad it's great that you like to do things with paper but my Ipad has GPS and Weather. It also has all of my checklists where I can easily access them.

No need to have your hands on the yolks for taxi. Your nose wheel is meant to be on the ground during taxi for steering purposes. If your personal preference is to ride a wheelie up and down the taxi way that's fine but I'd prefer not to.

Good luck if you ever taxi in real winds, or fly a different airplane. And with that nosewheel planted firmly like that, one gopher can ruin your whole day. Even on pavement, there have been cases (several at my own airport while the county was still neglecting it) where a nosewheel hit a pothole, resulting in a prop strike. You minimize that risk by slowing down and pulling back on the yoke. You will not pop a wheelie at taxi speed unless you taxi FAR too fast or with a LOT of power. If you do, SLOW DOWN.

Honestly, if you can't fly the airplane without the iPad at this stage, you're not ready for solo. You don't need it and shouldn't need it.

All of James' comments in that post are good ones.

Maybe you should try taxiing in a wheelie. Then you might understand that much of your turning even on the ground is with the rudder. Less so in a Piper than a Cessna, but it's still doing quite a bit. The rudder is by far your most reliable flight control. It works even when all the others don't (e.g., deep stall). When you learn to do soft field takeoffs, you'll have to learn this lesson well. You'll lift the nose as soon as you go to full power, and if there is any crosswind, you'll need that rudder.

Last edited:
Yeah, every post here is asking for a bunch of other people to pile on and tell you why your wrong. That's why I try to stick to boobs. I'm not here to critique you as I am pretty new here myself, but some of the points above are valid.

Don't know your strip but taking some pressure off your nose wheel on grass seems like sound soft field advice!! My PPL DPE drilled that in big time. Like over and over, although he did go on to say, "well its your airplane, so do whatever you want, I'm just trying to save you some money."

Regarding trim, you will eventually get away from the pattern and trim should become second nature and not just 3 turns. There will be times when the wind is different and the plane will fly different, so maybe start at your three but trim for pressure as suggested above instead of just a number.

I'm a gadget nerd and love the G1000, iPad, iPhone, toys, boobs, booze, and all that stuff. But learning without it may save your life one day. I have been critiqued for wanting to use all that crap and really didn't listen. Now as I am transitioning into other planes, kind of wish I just flew that damn plane with no gadgets. They are awesome to have, but should be used to build on a sound foundation. Who cares if all of that stuff fails, if you can fly the damn plane!!

In any event, post a video, you will take a beating, post a picture on final, take a beating, tell everyone you love boobs, take a beating.... Just keep coming back for more.

Congrats!!

Good luck if you ever taxi in real winds, or fly a different airplane. And with that nosewheel planted firmly like that, one gopher can ruin your whole day. Even on pavement, there have been cases (several at my own airport while the county was still neglecting it) where a nosewheel hit a pothole, resulting in a prop strike. You minimize that risk by slowing down and pulling back on the yoke. You will not pop a wheelie at taxi speed unless you taxi FAR too fast or with a LOT of power. If you do, SLOW DOWN.

Honestly, if you can't fly the airplane without the iPad at this stage, you're not ready for solo. You don't need it and shouldn't need it.

Maybe you should try taxiing in a wheelie. Then you might understand that much of your turning even on the ground is with the rudder. Less so in a Piper than a Cessna, but it's still doing quite a bit. The rudder is by far your most reliable flight control. It works even when all the others don't (e.g., deep stall). When you learn to do soft field takeoffs, you'll have to learn this lesson well. You'll lift the nose as soon as you go to full power, and if there is any crosswind, you'll need that rudder.

Agree, put the iPad away for now and just fly the plane. The iPad can/will cause you to spend more time looking inside the plane than outside, that's a bad habit to pick up when you are just starting your training. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my tablet and all the electronic gadgets and gizmos I can get my hands on. They make life easier and provide a lot of information. However, I never used it in the plane until I was doing cross country solos, and even then I still had a paper flight plan on my knee-board that I referred to more than I did the tablet. Learn to fly without the iPad and then when you do start using it you will be that much better a pilot. (And that day that it overheats on you and shuts down, or runs out of power at least you won't panic because you know how to fly without it...)

When I was learning to fly, iPads were WAY off in the future, so were EFBs. Even when I started training for my instrument, foreflight was JUST coming on the market. I learned with a sectional and a paper nav log. Most of the trainers didn't have a panel mount GPS, so everything was pilotage and VOR. Please heed the advice given here that paper doesn't suffer from dead batteries, or overheating (below about 400*F). Enjoy training and looking out the window for now, and add in the electronics as training progresses. Just my 2 cents.

I did my first solo on grass too... Haven't seen it mentioned here, but looked like you weren't holding the yoke, at least on your initial back-taxi on 27... You should be holding back on that thing to take some weight off that poor nosewheel. By the way, my grass runway was 9-27 too...

You may change your mind on that when you start flying in stronger winds or fly a tailwheel.

Some 'thoughts' from someone who just recently completed my PPL, posted the journey on a blog with links here on these forums, as well as videos to receive the aforementioned advice/criticism. While you might not agree with all of the advice/criticism on this forum (I don't), much of it is excellent and should not just be dismissed out of hand.

Don't be in the habit of a specific number of turns on the trim. I also trained in 140's and a 180. The school has four of the 140's and the trim in each one is just a bit different. One turn of the trim does not move the trim the same amount from plane to plane. I was taught 'pitch, power, trim.' You pitch the plane, adjust the power, and then trim to remove pressure for whatever flight attitude you are looking for. That particular plane may be 3 turns on the pitch, but it is a lot easier to just remember to trim to relieve pressure than remember which plane you're in and how many times to turn the handle. (There are enough other numbers to remember when flying)

pburger has it right on taxiing. Keep your left hand on the yolk, even when taxiing. This is even more important when on a grass strip as it keeps less weight on the nose wheel. You will not ever ride a wheelie down the taxiway doing this (assuming you aren't taxiing at high speeds...) and you will be glad to have that extra inch or so clearance in the front when you hit some bumps in the field so you don't have a prop strike.

Congratulations on the solo, keep flying, keep learning, and keep having fun.

Good information. I quiet obviously don't know everything about flight. I am only 18 hours into my total flight time.

During take off I raise the nose as to not cause a prop strike. During taxi I do not raise up. The only reason I am adamant about not having my left hand on the yolk during taxi is that my CFI asked me not to. He wants me to associate the turning and braking to my feet.

I can see how it would be important to relieve some pressure on the nose gear during taxi but I will continue to take my CFI's advice and possibly just ask if there are any alternatives that I could decide to use.

I can fly the plane without the Ipad. I would only need paper versions of my checklist. Unfortunately, I can't take your advice on flying without my ipad as my CFI mandates that I fly with my Ipad. He requires all of his students to do so.

My ipad does my weight and balance. Fuel usage, check points, GPS, weather. When i touched my ipad during this video all I was doing was essentially flipping the page of my checklist to the next section. During flight off the ground I shouldn't have touched it at all. I don't believe I did but if I did this was an error. I have no need for the ipad in the pattern work that was displayed here.

As for the taxing I will casually bring it up in conversation on my next flight. I understand the importance of protecting the plane from a prop strike.

Yeah, every post here is asking for a bunch of other people to pile on and tell you why your wrong. That's why I try to stick to boobs. I'm not here to critique you as I am pretty new here myself, but some of the points above are valid.

Don't know your strip but taking some pressure off your nose wheel on grass seems like sound soft field advice!! My PPL DPE drilled that in big time. Like over and over, although he did go on to say, "well its your airplane, so do whatever you want, I'm just trying to save you some money."

Regarding trim, you will eventually get away from the pattern and trim should become second nature and not just 3 turns. There will be times when the wind is different and the plane will fly different, so maybe start at your three but trim for pressure as suggested above instead of just a number.

I'm a gadget nerd and love the G1000, iPad, iPhone, toys, boobs, booze, and all that stuff. But learning without it may save your life one day. I have been critiqued for wanting to use all that crap and really didn't listen. Now as I am transitioning into other planes, kind of wish I just flew that damn plane with no gadgets. They are awesome to have, but should be used to build on a sound foundation. Who cares if all of that stuff fails, if you can fly the damn plane!!

In any event, post a video, you will take a beating, post a picture on final, take a beating, tell everyone you love boobs, take a beating.... Just keep coming back for more.

Congrats!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep this in mind. I feel I have a decent understanding of how to fly the plane. I think people are getting hung up on the fact that my checklist was digitized and they prefer to have paper copies. I can understand that. I have backup paper copies in my flight bag in case my Ipad quits.

I am 23 years old and a software engineer. I understand the importance of knowing the actual process' of gathering and understanding this information. I was just raised in a generation where technology has replaced books. I apologize for my generation.

Agree, put the iPad away for now and just fly the plane. The iPad can/will cause you to spend more time looking inside the plane than outside, that's a bad habit to pick up when you are just starting your training. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my tablet and all the electronic gadgets and gizmos I can get my hands on. They make life easier and provide a lot of information. However, I never used it in the plane until I was doing cross country solos, and even then I still had a paper flight plan on my knee-board that I referred to more than I did the tablet. Learn to fly without the iPad and then when you do start using it you will be that much better a pilot. (And that day that it overheats on you and shuts down, or runs out of power at least you won't panic because you know how to fly without it...)

I keep paper backups of my sectionals a/fd's and checklists in my flight bag for just such an occasion. Thank you for your advice!

When I was learning to fly, iPads were WAY off in the future, so were EFBs. Even when I started training for my instrument, foreflight was JUST coming on the market. I learned with a sectional and a paper nav log. Most of the trainers didn't have a panel mount GPS, so everything was pilotage and VOR. Please heed the advice given here that paper doesn't suffer from dead batteries, or overheating (below about 400*F). Enjoy training and looking out the window for now, and add in the electronics as training progresses. Just my 2 cents.

I agree and the FAA mandates that I have a paper backup of anything that I will use electronically. I have all my sectionals A/fd's and checklists in my flight bag for just such an occasion. Thanks for the advice!

I did my first solo on grass too... Haven't seen it mentioned here, but looked like you weren't holding the yoke, at least on your initial back-taxi on 27... You should be holding back on that thing to take some weight off that poor nosewheel. By the way, my grass runway was 9-27 too...

Nice east west baby! Yeah, as previously mentioned I am going to casually slip this into conversation on my next flight. I keep the nose up during takeoff to prevent a prop strike but my CFI never instructed me to raise the nose during taxi. I believe that is because of the low speeds.

Also I was originally taught not to have my hands on the yolk because it wont have any affect on the ground. I think that this was meant to teach me to taxi with my feet and throttle. Thanks for your post, solid advice!

You may change your mind on that when you start flying in stronger winds or fly a tailwheel.

You are probably correct. You know how it is when you are taught something you take it as the word of god. I think anyone who is a pilot always is going to believe there way is right. Since I am new I am going to leave my ego at the door and just assume with so many of you posting on the same issue that you are all probably correct.

I am going to casually bring it up with my CFI on my next flight. Thanks for your advice!

I hate to say it, but your instructor seems to be teaching you things that are not consistent with best practice. I hope it's misunderstanding, but that doesn't look too likely under the circumstance.

It's not required to have paper backups -- only to have SOME backup in some instances -- but paper is a good choice. Be aware that multiple copies of the same device is not necessarily redundant. You aren't required by regulation to carry charts or checklists at all, but you can get dinged for "careless or reckless" if anything happens. Like a class B bust when you don't have a TAC, or an accident due to misconfiguration in the absence of a checklist.

I've had multiple failures of electronic devices while in flight. I don't trust them for anything critical, without a plan at the ready to execute when they fail. Not if. The worst was plugging a tablet into ship's power while on a cross-country in unfamiliar and very complex airspace (crossing the LAX Class B for the first time). The tablet immediately went dark and never recovered. Good thing I had a paper TAC handy (that's one of a very few cases where a chart really is required by regulation). I've also had one crash while approaching a Class D airport, just before frequency change, and an overheat just after takeoff on an IFR flight into overcast (fortunately, on vectors).

Learning to fly, especially pre-solo, the point is controlling the aircraft. Not all the gadgets. So, it is very strange that your instructor requires a tablet.

You should know how to compute weight and balance manually, so you know when your tablet is feeding you BS. You're a software engineer, so you should understand GIGO. W&B is very simple. Configuring an app, not always. You should also know how to flight plan manually, for the same reason. So, when Foreflight says I can make it to Lake Tahoe in 60 minutes from Palo Alto in a 182, cruising at 11500, I know it's FOS. I had to do that recently in the context of a missing airplane search; I estimated 90 minutes by hand, and that was pretty close to what it really took.

Usually I agree with @eman1200 but on this one I don't.

OP - Please print this thread in it's entirety and review your video along with all of the comments with your CFI. Would be interesting to hear his take on it all.

I hate to say it, but your instructor seems to be teaching you things that are not consistent with best practice. I hope it's misunderstanding, but that doesn't look too likely under the circumstance.

It's not required to have paper backups -- only to have SOME backup in some instances -- but paper is a good choice. Be aware that multiple copies of the same device is not necessarily redundant. You aren't required by regulation to carry charts or checklists at all, but you can get dinged for "careless or reckless" if anything happens. Like a class B bust when you don't have a TAC, or an accident due to misconfiguration in the absence of a checklist.

I've had multiple failures of electronic devices while in flight. I don't trust them for anything critical, without a plan at the ready to execute when they fail. Not if. The worst was plugging a tablet into ship's power while on a cross-country in unfamiliar and very complex airspace (crossing the LAX Class B for the first time). The tablet immediately went dark and never recovered. Good thing I had a paper TAC handy (that's one of a very few cases where a chart really is required by regulation). I've also had one crash while approaching a Class D airport, just before frequency change, and an overheat just after takeoff on an IFR flight into overcast (fortunately, on vectors).

Learning to fly, especially pre-solo, the point is controlling the aircraft. Not all the gadgets. So, it is very strange that your instructor requires a tablet.

You should know how to compute weight and balance manually, so you know when your tablet is feeding you BS. You're a software engineer, so you should understand GIGO. W&B is very simple. Configuring an app, not always. You should also know how to flight plan manually, for the same reason. So, when Foreflight says I can make it to Lake Tahoe in 60 minutes from Palo Alto in a 182, cruising at 11500, I know it's FOS. I had to do that recently in the context of a missing airplane search; I estimated 90 minutes by hand, and that was pretty close to what it really took.

Pay attention to the last paragraph here. You will need to know how to do weight and balance manually as well as the other flight planning funtions without an iPad for you written knowledge exam. Better to learn it now.

As for touching the yoke when taxiing, if you don't the Examiner will not be happy, especially if you are operating off a soft field. Part of the ACS involves the proper positioning of flight controls. Maybe your CFI is just trying to get you to leave the yoke alone to start with so you will get used to using your feet to steer, but he should be teaching you that there are specific ways to position the controls depending on what kind of surface you are on and where the winds are coming. If he believes that you should never touch the yoke during taxi, I would consider shopping around for a different CFI.

PA.IV.D.S12 12. Maintain proper position of the flight controls and sufficient speed to taxi on the soft surface
Also, as has been said about taxiing in the wind, you need to know how to position the controls, and the Examiner will most likely ask you to demonstrate that too.
Task D - Taxiing
PA.II.D.K1 1. Positioning aircraft controls for wind.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/private_airplane_acs.pdf

Or one of these, you can actually submerge your bows with the wrong inputs and a strong tailwind

To the OP, seems like you got the right mindset, and I agree with the others, print up this thread and go over it with your video next time you're around your CFI, I'd also be interested to hear his take. Hope I didn't come off as jumping on you, just trying to give some free advice, which may or may not be worth exactly what you paid for it, this is the Internet after all ;)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 20

"Any Type A or Type B EFB application, as defined in this AC, may be a substitute for the paper equivalent. When the EFB replaces aeronautical information required by 14 CFR part 91, then a secondary or backup source of aeronautical information necessary for the flight must be available to the pilot in the aircraft."

You are correct it doesn't have to be paper. However, paper is the most solid form of backup and is what I was asked to have.

Basically if you use an EFB then you need to have a backup otherwise if there is an incident you will be deemed at fault due to "careless or recklessness".

Just like I can't use fore-flight for my sole weather. I must first use DUATS to ensure that the FAA can actively check to see that I did my weather report prior to flight in the case of an incident.

I guess I am missing the point of what you are trying to convey in not using a tablet. I am using it for my checklist. Are you asking me not to do a checklist?

We have focused intensely on flight controls and looking outside of the aircraft to gauge how your inputs effect your flight path. Understanding how to level the plane off power settings for ascent, cruise, and decent. Pitch for airspeed, power for altitude, glide path, winds, various temperatures and how that effects all of these things. Slow flight, power off stall, power on stall, half normal's, steep bank turns, s-turns, and turns around a point. I can dump all 17.7 hours of my flights into video to see if you agree with the way my CFI is teaching me but there is no way that it can be the exact same way that you were taught.

I agree that while taxing I should relieve some pressure on the nose gear. A prop strike would be devastating I just was not immediately warned about it. Which leads me to believe that my CFI does not deem it an immediate threat. He is adamant about relieving pressure on the nose gear at takeoff but has not require it during taxi. I believe this is due to ground speed but I casually bring it up in our next conversation.

We learned how to complete weight and balance before using the application. We also learned how to calculate fuel usage, compensate for magnetic differences east is least west is best, and how your true airspeed does not always reflect your ground speed due to winds.

I appreciate your input thought, I really am learning through your experience. Please do not take anything I say on this forum to have ill intent I have just been taught one way and I am very new so who am I to question anything.

Pay attention to the last paragraph here. You will need to know how to do weight and balance manually as well as the other flight planning funtions without an iPad for you written knowledge exam. Better to learn it now.

As for touching the yoke when taxiing, if you don't the Examiner will not be happy, especially if you are operating off a soft field. Part of the ACS involves the proper positioning of flight controls. Maybe your CFI is just trying to get you to leave the yoke alone to start with so you will get used to using your feet to steer, but he should be teaching you that there are specific ways to position the controls depending on what kind of surface you are on and where the winds are coming. If he believes that you should never touch the yoke during taxi, I would consider shopping around for a different CFI.

PA.IV.D.S12 12. Maintain proper position of the flight controls and sufficient speed to taxi on the soft surface
Also, as has been said about taxiing in the wind, you need to know how to position the controls, and the Examiner will most likely ask you to demonstrate that too.
Task D - Taxiing
PA.II.D.K1 1. Positioning aircraft controls for wind.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/private_airplane_acs.pdf

He has never said that I should never touch the yolks during taxi. He was just teaching me to control the plane with rudder control. I am lucky to be in an airspace that not much wind is produced on the ground. I know that this is different with each airspace and I have some understanding of how to compensate for this with the yolks.

I first learned how to do weight and balance manually before using the application for it. I was just pointing out what all the iPad can do.

Thanks for your post very informative!

You're thinking about it, which is the point.

Just, don't trust the gadgets to the exclusion of other methods. As software engineers, we both know how common bug-free software is, as well as the effect of feature bloat, accelerated release schedules, and "agile" development.

Or one of these, you can actually submerge your bows with the wrong inputs and a strong tailwind

To the OP, seems like you got the right mindset, and I agree with the others, print up this thread and go over it with your video next time you're around your CFI, I'd also be interested to hear his take. Hope I didn't come off as jumping on you, just trying to give some free advice, which may or may not be worth exactly what you paid for it, this is the Internet after all ;)

No worries, I appreciate the information you have provided me. I prefer to learn from others. I would have never known to ask about relieving pressure on the nose gear during taxi without posting this video.

Everyone on this forum is going to have their own opinions and my job is to ween through it and figure out what is valuable. I think your post was one of the most beneficial ones thus far.

It's funny showing a 7 minute clip I think most people are assuming this is all I have ever done in flying. At the very least my ego can take the flak and it seems everyone is getting some entertainment out of this thread. I am also learning a lot here with only 17.7 hours flight time under my belt.

You're thinking about it, which is the point.

Just, don't trust the gadgets to the exclusion of other methods. As software engineers, we both know how common bug-free software is, as well as the effect of feature bloat, accelerated release schedules, and "agile" development.

I'd wager with our combined experience in software engineering we couldn't name one bug-free software haha

#include<stdio.h>

int main(int argc, void **argv) {
printf("Hello, World\n");
return 0;​
}

<?php

class intelligence {
public function __construct() {
print("The more you are aware of, the less you know about what you are aware of.");
}
}

new intelligence();

?>

No worries, glad I could help in anyway I can, despite some of us coming off kinda ruff, we all like seeing new folks in aviation and do try to help.

Per the iPad backup requirements and weather, keep in mind it's fully legal to not check the weather officially or even carry a chart if you know the area.

For many of my local flights in my personal plane I don't carry any of that, and my weather check is just looking outside when I wake up, to be fair I do have my phone with FF SV Pro on me, but all I use it for on those flights is the stopwatch to time my flight, don't even fire up FF, unless I get a wild hair and decide to shoot a ILS or something for chits and giggles.

#include<stdio.h>

int main(int argc, void **argv) {
printf("Hello, World\n");
return 0;​
}

giphy.gif

I remember the early days of my training. My CFI always asked me, before I even moved, "Where's the wind? How do you hold the controls?" I know that every CFI is different, but the DPEs are there to verify you meet standards. If you aren't meeting the standards of this board yet, you will be when you pass your checkride.

Congrats on the solo!

You fellas still beating up on the kid?

[QUOTE="The Pilot Guy, post: 2166692, member: 29372"I apologize for my generation.[/QUOTE]

<gives pilot guy a stern look, turns on heels and walks away muttering something about whipper snappers..>

The beatings will continue until morale around here improves.

Actually, we're now just waiting for the CFI responses to the 4 critiques that were offered (by numerous posters) and then argued by the kid.
Leaning
Taxi control
Trimming
Electronic distractions

This was a rough welcome... Dude didn't ask any questions or critique of any kind. Excited to have soloed and shared the video...

We are all improved since our first solo and continue to improve with each flight hopefully. Same will happen with this young man.

Tough crowd.

So I recently completed my first solo flight in a piper Cherokee 140. It was three full stop landings and takeoffs. The video I have included is the very first one.

I also wrote a short blog post about how someone can become a private pilot. I did a lot of research prior to making the decision to start flying. Hope it helps anyone in here lurking questioning whether they have what it takes. The answer is you do if you love it!

How to Become a Private Pilot
Welcome to POA. Your blog vs. your post here has me wondering, do you have your pilot cert. already? Because the blog says it took you 6 months to complete and that it cost you $10,000. In your post and responses here, it seemed like you were a student at the first solo phase of training.

Welcome to POA. Your blog vs. your post here has me wondering, do you have your pilot cert. already? Because the blog says it took you 6 months to complete and that it cost you $10,000. In your post and responses here, it seemed like you were a student at the first solo phase of training.

Further in the blog is this little diddy

"This was a Piper Cherokee and I am lucky enough to fly one of these as a private pilot."

Further in the blog is this little diddy

"This was a Piper Cherokee and I am lucky enough to fly one of these as a private pilot."
That one is not so bad, if you're not flying anything you'd be lucky to fly anything, right? :)
I was lucky enough to get fly a 172R and 172S in my training. :D

He was a bit harsh on the poor schmuck in the PIO video though, I think I counted 8 bounces on that one, ouch.

The beatings will continue until morale around here improves.

Actually, we're now just waiting for the CFI responses to the 4 critiques that were offered (by numerous posters) and then argued by the kid.
Leaning
Taxi control
Trimming
Electronic distractions

I'm going to ask him about taxiing and leaning. Trimming is a personal preference to grab the knob. Electronic distractions I'm also going to overlook. I am learning to fly the electronics are just for pre-flight and basic in flight information. I rarely look at it unless the plane is stopped. Some may be unhappy that I "turned the page" while back taxiing but it would be the same as you flipping the page on your checklist.

That one is not so bad, if you're not flying anything you'd be lucky to fly anything, right? :)
I was lucky enough to get fly a 172R and 172S in my training. :D

He was a bit harsh on the poor schmuck in the PIO video though, I think I counted 8 bounces on that one, ouch.

I completely agree. If you aren't flying any plane would be awesome to pilot.

Actually, I don't run checklists on paper while moving either. Nor do I program the GPS, switch radios, set squawk codes, or anything else. I require the same of anyone else in the airplane. Most accidents and incidents occur on the ground. While ramp rash won't usually kill you, it sure can get expensive.

While taxiing, your job is to get the aircraft from point A to point B without hitting anything. If you need to do something else, stop. If you're in the way, move somewhere where you're not, then do it. Ground is very helpful if you need a spot to pull off; if you're at a nontowered airport, you can just get out of the way.

Back