Becoming a pilot who had depression

Pedro9708

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pedro9708
Hey guys, i dream about being an airline pilot since i was a kid, but when i was 14, (I'm 22 now) i had depression, and my left arm have some scars that i made with a knife, I'm 100% fine today, but i fear airlines would never hire me as a pilot because of these scars, the scars aren't ugly, they exist only in my left arm and you only see them of you look closely, i don't fear taking all the tests to prove that I'm completely normal and mentally healthy, but becoming a pilot is very expensive and i must make the right decision, thanks.

You need to do a LOT of research before you apply for a medical, including getting all of your medical records and their diagnosis codes. The history of depression has to be reported and is a big red flag for the FAA. It's not insurmountable but it's likely to be very expensive just to get started.

Getting hired by an airline wouldn’t be the issue. The issue would be getting a medical certificate that would allow you to solo which is a requirement to get your certificates. If you go in for your medical certificate and disclose the truth about your mental health history your application will be deferred and ultimately denied. There is a path, but it’s going to be long, difficult and very expensive. I imagine that the self harm you disclosed would make this harder than if you just had depression by itself.

Last edited:
The question is really was the OP depressed or diagnosed with depression. If the former no big deal, just wear long sleeves. If the latter, well a search of the site will reveal lots of useful information.

I think this is more than 1 question. 1) Can I eventually get a 1st class medical; If yes, then 2) would it come with any condition; if yes to that then 3)would that conditional/ SI license block you from getting hired?

When you get advice I'd explore those three issues in detail.

The question is really was the OP depressed or diagnosed with depression. If the former no big deal, just wear long sleeves. If the latter, well a search of the site will reveal lots of useful information.

Self cutting / mutilation is not just a thing that kids go through; IMHO I'm putting this into the "big deal" category. Well done / congrats to the OP for getting help and getting beyond that.

I don't see that the OP went to the doctor for this, did you ever get diagnosed with depression?

I don't see that the OP went to the doctor for this, did you ever get diagnosed with depression?

Well, that's a good question because we just assume that he did. But if he never saw a doctor for the "depression" and never saw a doctor for the self-inflicted cuts then he "might" be fine not admitting to either of those conditions.

But if there is a record of any of it anywhere, then the OP has to assume that the FAA will find out about it, particularly if he's concerned about spending a lot of money on a career path.

So. FAA is ok if you have a condition but never get help. But they don’t like it when you don’t have a condition because you got help.

I know right? The FAA docs are such a joke. I wonder if they realize how stupid their procedures are.

Last edited:
So. FAA is ok if you have a condition but never get help. But they don’t like it when you don’t have a condition because you got help.
Pretty much. Not that it makes complete sense, and not that the FAA is "OK" with it, but if you haven't been "diagnosed" with a condition then the argument is that the previous condition was some kind of "mystery thing".

(From the instructions page;)

"For all items checked yes, a description and approximate date of every condition the applicant has ever been diagnosed with, had, or presently has, must be given in the EXPLANATIONS box."

Pretty much, yes, that's what it seems like. You could have severe amnesia, suffer from daily migraines, frequent thoughts of suicide, frequent chest pains and shortness of breath, weekly dizzyness and fainting spells, etc,.. but if you never go to the doctor and can pass a color vision test then in the FAA's eyes you're the healthiest person alive!

It's absurd.

Not so fast: 61.53 says that you may not fly if one "Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation..."

So for the OP, he clearly admits that he knows that he has had a medical condition that would make him unable to meet the requirements. Whether he still has it is a different issue of course...

Point of the matter is that it's quite likely he could be issued an medical certificate even after disclosing such a history, but as other mentioned, there may be some expensive tests involved. Keep in mind he has to have a physical examination and the AME night notice the markings. The only thing worse than getting deferred now for a medical is getting deferred five years into an 121 gig, still paying off flight training loans.

For all items checked yes, a description and approximate date of every condition the applicant has ever been diagnosed with, had, or presently has, must be given in the EXPLANATIONS box."
FTFY.

18.m. "Mental disorders of any sort."

Avoiding a diagnosis doesn't mean you don't have a condition. And the alternatives are expressed disjunctively, so you have to report a diagnosis, even if it was wrong.

FTFY.

18.m. "Mental disorders of any sort."

Avoiding a diagnosis doesn't mean you don't have a condition. And the alternatives are expressed disjunctively, so you have to report a diagnosis, even if it was wrong.

Unless if you yourself are a medical doctor, how are you going to know if you had a medical disorder or if your symptoms qualify as a specific disorder without a diagnosis from an actual medical doctor?

Last edited:
Unless if you yourself are a medical doctor, how are you going to know if you had a medical disorder or if your symptoms qualify as a specific disorder without a diagnosis from an actual medical doctor?
Self harm is not a normal behavior. Not to mention that the title and text of his post say he had depression.

And more generally, playing dumb will work right up until you get caught.

Hey guys, i dream about being an airline pilot since i was a kid, but when i was 14, (I'm 22 now) i had depression, and my left arm have some scars that i made with a knife, I'm 100% fine today, but i fear airlines would never hire me as a pilot because of these scars, the scars aren't ugly, they exist only in my left arm and you only see them of you look closely, i don't fear taking all the tests to prove that I'm completely normal and mentally healthy, but becoming a pilot is very expensive and i must make the right decision, thanks.

Hey guys, thanks for all these answers, you guys really helped me to clarify a lot of things, and yes, i was indeed diagnosed with depression, i took prescribed medicine, therapy, all that stuff, and i didn't quit the treatment until i was 100% fine, and it was a long ago xd, once again, thank you all. =D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back