Beating the airlines

About a tie based on the OP example. That's with no lay overs though. 1,000 nm range doing 160 KTAS, I can beat the airlines most times.

Bottom line, who really GAF? If you enjoy flying your own bird you'll do it. Airlines are lot more hassle but statistically safer. Bad weather (TStms, Icing, etc), especially if it's on your route for days, may make the airlines more appealing if you have to get there.

Now to really beat both do like Trump, 757, helicopter, and whatever else he has in his personal Air Force, plus limo to drop him off at the wingtip of whatever he's using that particular day.

As was said in the second post, there's a lot of variables to consider.

How long is your drive to each airport.
How long is your prep time for the plane vs wait time and security.
How long are you flying? Speed vs distance?
Is there a layover and how long? Do you have a fuel stop?
Do you have to wait on luggage on the other end?
How long does ti take to get into the rental car?
How long to drive to where you're going?

I can give the simple example of flying from Raleigh to Roanoke and it's an easy win for GA - in fact, driving this trip weekly convinced me it was time to learn to fly. There are no direct flights, you have to go through Charlotte. So once I say 45 minute drive to the airport, an hour wait and security, 1-1.5 hour layover and waiting on luggage, I'm at the 4+ hour mark just on waiting vs a 104 nm flight. I can take a 152 on that one and still beat the airline and beat my driving time too.

On the other hand, go Raleigh to LAX and there's no way GA will be faster without a million dollar plane...at which point commercial flying would be history for other reasons.

Sometimes on an airline trip I've wished I'd taken the 172 instead. Sometimes not. It's nice to have the choice. Sometimes I like to go out to dinner, and sometimes I eat in. Sometimes it's a practical choice, sometimes I just want to do it. By the tortured logic of this thread I guess I should take into consideration the time it took to shop for appliances, groceries and cooking utensils, cleaning the oven, read recipes and cookbooks, etc.

A few years ago my law partners and I had meetings in San Francisco. Meetings over, they cabbed to SFO for their Horizon Airlines Dash-8 flight to PDX, while my wife and I took BART to Concord where our 172 was waiting. We made a casual fuel stop at Roseburg, Oregon. Nearing PDX I recognized their Horizon flight number on the approach control frequency. As we made the midfield crossing over PDX on the way to VUO, we watched their Dash-8 land and taxi off the runway below. We landed at VUO across the river and easily made it home before they did.

Horizon_zps3h0zwvhe.jpg
Horizon_zps3h0zwvhe.jpg

It certainly wouldn't happen every time, but this time it did -- and we felt pretty smug about it. :p

(Oh ... and on our way from Vancouver to San Francisco, we left a couple of days early and made a side trip to visit family in Phoenix and in Lancaster CA -- that would not have been feasible on the airlines.)

Last edited:
I've spent more time fussing over Kayak and airline schedule websites than planning some long VFR X-Cs ...

Yep. I spend plenty of time looking at airfares and I live in Atlanta. I would imagine it could take longer in markets that have fewer direct/non-stop commercial flights.

For me it depends on who is going and how long the trip is. For 1000 miles alone, I would probably take Delta, with 2-3 other people, I'd probably fly the 425. I went to Palm Springs in March, it took longer on AA than it would have if I'd flown myself! But, I was going alone, so it made no sense to spend the extra money for fuel.

Lots of factors, but 1,000 nm is a long trip for piston GA. Doable, but long.

While possible to beat commercial flights, it would be hard. Biggest pluses for GA would be distance to commercial airport and connecting flights. You would still need a fast plane, big bladder and decent weather (no ice, no thunderstorms). At 1,000 nm weather can be a big issue.

From a cost perspective you generally need to fill the seats on the GA plane. When we've flown with 4 people we can at times get cheaper than flying commercial and get there between almost as fast to somewhat faster than commercial (largely directly/non-stop commercial flights from Atlanta), but much shorter than 1,000 nm; 400-600 nm. Compare flights like that with a connection and we get there much faster flying GA; 170-180 kt planes.

If I'm flying solo or two of us it's pretty much always more expensive flying GA. It may be faster, but it's more expensive. Certainly more fun and lots more flexibility. It also depends upon how one counts their "costs". As I've been in partnerships I've got not just fuel, but also hourly rates (for mx reserves) and monthly costs (averaged out) for fixed costs (hangar/insurance/annual).

You're right.

But I'm still not sure many small airplanes can journey 1000 miles without a fuel stop.

This entire thread is silly IMO. It doesn't take into account any preflight / trip planning, nor securing and registering at destination, nor fueling at origin, nor the lost productivity to be had in the back of the airliner....

It's just people looking for an excuse.... Which is fine but don't disguise it as anti airline.

Don't forget the safety factor into your equastion..!?
I left the original question open simply asked what type of aircraft it will require to beat the airlines over a thousand mile trip.

I left the original question open simply asked what type of aircraft it will require to beat the airlines over a thousand mile trip.
Like many said, too many variables. To answer that.

What works for me here in Norfolk is not necessarily going to work for someone in Boston or Chicago.

Our closest major commercial airport is St Louis and that's going to be a nearly 2 hour drive. My wife is going to want to follow the "get there 3 hours early" advice which I'll probably manage to shave down to 2. So now we've got a good 4 hours between our door and even boarding.

I can get pretty far door to door with 4 hours in my Archer, provided the weather works out. Throw in a refuel/rest stop and another 4 and I can be on a nice beach somewhere.

Of course, we all know how likely a weather delay is with GA and all the other issues. But I'll actually enjoy my trip rather than having to restrain my anger, frustration, and general discomfort the whole time. I can carry whatever I can stuff into the airplane without having to worry about it being TSA approved or one of their goons breaking or stealing something. When I arrive I will almost certainly meet friendly helpful people at the airport not scowling airline employees/TSA agents. I will pull my car right up the airplane to load my bags and pull my rental car right up to the plane to unload them at the other end. Oh and *I* am in charge. The plane leaves when I'm darn well ready for it to, I walk where I want when I want to, I don't get crammed into lines with hundreds of other people, I don't have to stand around holding heavy bags, etc, etc, etc.

Traveling GA is a joyful happy adventure. Traveling by airline is hours of boredom, discomfort, and frustration.

I don't fly the airlines for domestic travel anymore. There might come something that forces me to go back.... but I'm darn well going to do all I can to avoid it. I don't care if I'm a day or two later than planned either.

Gulfstream G650.

Want to maybe narrow that down a bit? :)

I've beaten the airlines New England to Florida, around 1000 miles, even a nonstop, if you factor in at least an hour early to get through security.

Many newer Mooneys can do 180kts plus for 1000 miles nonstop.

It's the dispatch rate that kills ya... Icing, widespread low imc, tstorms. Light aircraft just don't have a high enough dispatch rate if you have to make the trip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up the airlines to do GA instead so have a pretty good insight.

I live 75 minutes from FSD for commercial flights and was doing 150+ segments per year. I could almost always beat the airlines on 1000 miles in the 310 east bound. 500 miles and the 310 would win short of an AOG situation. West was a little tighter as a fuel stop is necessary. I can always win with the Conquest. If you're doing this regularly, I would want icing protection and radar or the number of missed trips is going to get burdensome.

There are, as Mari said, so many variables.

Living, as I do, and a major airline hub (the DFW area), there is a huge array of non-stop options, and on those city pairs where there is more than one realistic option (a great many more, since the un-shackling of Southwest Airlines at Love Field), the cost of airline travel is usually going to be less than flying my Bonanza.

If the destination is one which requires the changes of plane, the airlines become less attractive pretty quickly. By way of example, we used to frequently fly to Tallahassee to visit Celia's grandmother. It was an 11-hour drive, five or six hours (if you were lucky) on the airlines, with connections in either Memphis, Atlanta or Miami, or slightly less than four hours, non-stop, in the Bonanza. Almost a no-brainer, especially since, after getting good face time with grandmother, we would then hop over to Pensacola for a few days in the sand. Big win for the airplane.

No longer an issue for us, since grandmother finally decided to move out of her house after she turned 102 years old and decided to stop driving; she now lives in Sugar Land, Texas, and is just about halfway through her 110th year. Visiting her, now, is very easy, because her assisted-living facility (she is still not in nursing care, I might add) is about a five minute drive from the Sugar Land airport which, in turn, is a scant hour and fifteen minutes from home, by Bonanza.

Even those itineraries which allow for non-stop flights, however, can turn into a nightmare in which having your own airplane could seriously help. Our market is heavily dominated by American Airlines, who in general do a very good job; but, when weather rolls through North Texas, the airline has found it more beneficial to simply cancel their entire flight schedule for the day, and restart the next day. Given the nightmare of aircraft and crew scheduling, I am confident that it is the best choice for everyone involved, including (taken as a whole) affected passengers; a great many of the passengers connecting through DFW can be re-routed through other hubs, and on other carriers.

If your destination is DFW, however, you're royally screwed, because the airplanes are all so darned full. Even flying as rarely as I do on the airlines, I have experienced four separate events of canceled flights leading to profound delays in getting home; one mechanical, three, weather. In one instance, three clients and I flew to Baton Rouge one Friday morning for a one-hour meeting, our return flight in the afternoon was canceled, and the airline told us they could get us home on Tuesday. Seriously. I packed a briefcase. We rented a car and drove.

On another recent experience, the airline said that there was a "ground stop" issued by the FAA, and that they could not fly; this much was true, but it turns out that the ground stop was issued at the request of the airline, and affected only that airline; other carriers were dispatching and completing flights to DFW without difficulty, but the "fact" that it was "weather -related," meant that the airline did not have to provide any compensation to the passengers. We were lucky enough to have purchased first-class tickets for that particular vacation, so the airline accommodated us the next morning on a flight (albeit in coach, but at this point, we weren't complaining), but there were about three hundred other passengers who were simply up a creek without a paddle. I know one group of seven who rented a van, and drove. From Denver.

OK. Dryden, TX (KDRT) to Bridgeport, CA (O57). Go.

Oh, man that's evil.

I think few people on this board have any idea where Bridgeport is.

Hint for the others: it's gonna be a LLLOOONNGGGG drive, especially in winter.

There happens to be GA airport in town (with a relatively short runway for a high altitude airport), but the nearest 121 traffic is going to be in Reno, over 100 miles away on mountain highways. You might find an air taxi to Mammoth Lakes, which is still a very long drive in the opposite direction. And good luck with Uber. It ain't happening. You don't need it in town as the whole place is walking distance.

I think few people on this board have any idea where Bridgeport is.
It is out of the way, no doubt. When I was a young teen, every summer my father, brother, and I would drive up US 395 to Bridgeport, go to Leavitt Meadows pack station just west of town, and pack in to the High Sierras on horseback for a week of fishing.

Gulfstream G650.

Want to maybe narrow that down a bit? :)
I left it open because folks here will think of stuff I never would.
Go with what you know.

Flight planning, IFR from DC metro area (CGS) toJacksonville NC? 15 minutes for me, maybe? Add 10 more for a final human weather brief and to file? I might be overstating how long it takes, too. . . I'd spend more time with parking, TSA, and the layover in Charlotte than the flight takes in our 172. Way less than a 1,000 miles, under 400, actually, for sure.

If weather is too bad, I'd drive, which might be about the same as commercial, perhaps a bit longer. . .

well I need to drive an hour to the nearest commercial airport. So with any trip that's at least two hours gone. I have a GA airport 10 minutes from my house.

Then you need to get to the airport at least 1 hour before the flight each way. So another 2 hours.

so 4 hours commercial wasting time - 1 hour for total to preflight the GA airplane each way. = 3 hours.

So the furthest trip I would ever take routinely in a GA aircraft is 1 hr 45 minutes in a 737, that's about a 5 hour flight in the GA airplane.

So, that trip would be roughly the same total time, plus I don't have to get groped by the TSA or take off my shoes.

anyone read post 14?

I've thought about this a good bit. I've got a 45 minute drive to the airport so I end up driving more than I'd like. I just need to live on an air park and buy a plane. Then my door to door time would really be cut down.

anyone read post 14?
Yeah, you switched your hypothetical from living one hour away from the hub to two hours...

Some posters also don't seem to be allowing any time to plan, preflight, and fuel. Just because you live X minutes away from you airplane's home doesn't mean you can get off the ground in that time.

Yeah, you switched your hypothetical from living one hour away from the hub to two hours...

Some posters also don't seem to be allowing any time to plan, preflight, and fuel. Just because you live X minutes away from you airplane's home doesn't mean you can get off the ground in that time.

from here to SEA, is 2.4, plus a 2 hour wait to board, from here to his aircraft is .5 his flight is 450 ,miles. I'm not sure what his A36 cruises at, but it should be well over 150k. I'll bet he can beat the airlines to Butte. In fact he should be on the ground at Butte before the commercial is off SEA, and remember there are no direct flights to Butte you will take the regional.

Airline travel in the past year or two has been remarkably low cost. Just was looking for some fares this afternoon from ATL to LAX on SWA in November and I found a round trip fare, non-stop flights for $353. Sure airline travel can be a hassel, but any mode of transportation is at times. Depending on where I'm going, it's been very hard to beat the airlines vs. GA price wise.

Airline travel in the past year or two has been remarkably low cost. Just was looking for some fares this afternoon from ATL to LAX on SWA in November and I found a round trip fare, non-stop flights for $353. Sure airline travel can be a hassel, but any mode of transportation is at times. Depending on where I'm going, it's been very hard to beat the airlines vs. GA price wise.

I think it becomes a lot easier to beat the airlines on price once you start filling up the seats in your plane.

I think it becomes a lot easier to beat the airlines on price once you start filling up the seats in your plane.
It can be, but it ultimately depends on the distance I'm going. Granted, I'd much rather fly GA, but a lot of times it's just not cost efficient.

from here to SEA, is 2.4, plus a 2 hour wait to board, from here to his aircraft is .5 his flight is 450 ,miles. I'm not sure what his A36 cruises at, but it should be well over 150k. I'll bet he can beat the airlines to Butte. In fact he should be on the ground at Butte before the commercial is off SEA, and remember there are no direct flights to Butte you will take the regional.
Now you have gone from 1 hour to 2 hours to 2.4 hours away from the airline airport. That's what is wrong with all these hypotheticals. The situation is different for everyone. There are too many individual and changeable factors, not to mention the intangibles.

Now you have gone from 1 hour to 2 hours to 2.4 hours away from the airline airport. That's what is wrong with all these hypotheticals. The situation is different for everyone. There are too many individual and changeable factors, not to mention the intangibles.
The time from here to SEA could be 6 hours before it would make any difference in the case as stated.

I fly a Meridian which is a pressurized turboprop with about 800nm of range. The longest flight I've beaten the airlines on was a flight from Salt Lake City, UT to West Hampton, NY - about 1,800 miles. It was faster than Delta because I didn't have to go through JFK to the rental car lot and then drive on the Long Island Expressway for two hours. I can beat the airlines on 1,000 mile trips if the airlines have a connection. Otherwise I lose. I can also beat the airlines on 1,000 mile trips if there are only one or two flights a day that don't meet my schedule. The ability to leave at 2:00pm after I'm done with my meeting vs. waiting until the 6:00pm airline flight makes a big difference and can often save a day. I can usually beat the airlines going from Salt Lake to SoCal, more like a 500nm trip, because I can pick an airport much closer to my destination driving wise than LAX.

The one other area to consider is that my plane is very reliable and so it departs on time (defined as when I'm ready to go) close to 100% of the time. I don't deal with flow control delays, missing crew, mechanicals, delayed incoming flights, mystery cancellations etc. Plus my reservation system has never failed and I've never been bumped from my own plane due to an over sold situation. So even if it's an hour longer in the Meridian than a comparable commercial flight, I avoid the random four hour airline delays that pop up from time to time. Also, my baggage delivery rate is 100%. That's right. I have never lost a piece of checked luggage. Ever. Pretty impressive eh?

Tomorrow I'm flying my Acclaim from Denver (KAPA) to Petaluma, CA (O69), and from there will drive to my house in Sausalito. Let's see how my trip will compare door-to-door to a nonstop Southwest flight from KDEN to KSFO.

Southwest:
Leave house at 6:30am to go to airport
Flight departs 8:40am; arrives 10:15am
50 minute bus ride to Sausalito... arrive at roughly 11:15am

Mooney:
Leave house at 6:30am to go to airport
Wheels up at 7am; Foreflight says trip will take 4 hours, 20 minutes, so arrive at 10:20am
30 minute drive to Sausalito... arrive roughly 11:00am

Pretty much a tie.

What about cost?

Southwest: $307 for cheapest fare
Mooney: 68 gallons @ $5/gallon = $340

Pretty close.

BTW, Mooney distance is 831NM.

Last edited:
I fly a Meridian which is a pressurized turboprop with about 800nm of range. The longest flight I've beaten the airlines on was a flight from Salt Lake City, UT to West Hampton, NY - about 1,800 miles. It was faster than Delta because I didn't have to go through JFK to the rental car lot and then drive on the Long Island Expressway for two hours. I can beat the airlines on 1,000 mile trips if the airlines have a connection. Otherwise I lose. I can also beat the airlines on 1,000 mile trips if there are only one or two flights a day that don't meet my schedule. The ability to leave at 2:00pm after I'm done with my meeting vs. waiting until the 6:00pm airline flight makes a big difference and can often save a day. I can usually beat the airlines going from Salt Lake to SoCal, more like a 500nm trip, because I can pick an airport much closer to my destination driving wise than LAX.

The one other area to consider is that my plane is very reliable and so it departs on time (defined as when I'm ready to go) close to 100% of the time. I don't deal with flow control delays, missing crew, mechanicals, delayed incoming flights, mystery cancellations etc. Plus my reservation system has never failed and I've never been bumped from my own plane due to an over sold situation. So even if it's an hour longer in the Meridian than a comparable commercial flight, I avoid the random four hour airline delays that pop up from time to time. Also, my baggage delivery rate is 100%. That's right. I have never lost a piece of checked luggage. Ever. Pretty impressive eh?

Your math is wrong. You own a Meridian. Even when the airlines are cheaper, or faster, you still win. :D

Your math is wrong. You own a Meridian. Even when the airlines are cheaper, or faster, you still win. :D
:yeahthat:

But the airlines would always be cheaper because you can take MANY airline flights for the price and upkeep of a Meridian.

Still a winner, though! :biggrin:

realistically what sort of aircraft do you need to beat the airlines door to door.

let's say you live 1 hour from the major airport and 15 minutes from your aircraft. trip length is 1000 miles.

Assumptions:
Same destination airport
Airline flies nonstop
Arrive at the airline departure airport 2 hours early
Arrive at the ga departure airport 0.5 hrs early.
Airline gate to gate for 1000 miles is 2 hrs 30 mins (ex swa 1996 ict to las)
Dispatch reliability is no factor
Cost is no factor

Airline time= 1hr + 2 hr + 2.5 hr = 5.5 hours

GA flight time = airline time - .25 hr - .5 hr = 4.75 hr

1000 miles / 4.75 hr = 210.5 mph = 183 kts

So the real question is what ga planes can go 183 kts with a 1000 mile range? I imagine there's several.

Back