Beans or No Beans...

In chili.

Support your answer.

Sorry, you cannot use the words "beans" and "in chili" together, that is highly illogical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Instead of making you read the whole wiki page, the summary is:
since some crazy mur'kens (usually "nord'ners") started putting beans in chili very very long ago, they feel it should be now considered the new official chili. :lol:

However, the real original chili (con carne) was a meat dish, not a freaking bean casserole.
And don't get me even started on Hungarian Goulash that some crazy folks here butchered into a damn veggie stew. :mad2:

Firehouse chili is good, but not always chili...

I'm not a purist, to me 'chili' is range of product with a similar seasoning set. My preference ends up running towards a traditional meat chili, however "chili con carne' means "chilies with meat". It is not an exclusive issue in my opinion/translation. Kinda like "mañana" means "not today", even though many interpret it as 'in the morning' or 'tomorrow', this is far from accurate.:lol:

All you need is steak (sometimes pork and steak) and hatch chilis. All of the rest simply binds these two together. In fact, that's what I worked on this afternoon... it's simmering now, as those of my friends on FB already know.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1508015_10204500003317745_8672376560419895623_n.jpg
    1508015_10204500003317745_8672376560419895623_n.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 93
All you need is steak (sometimes pork and steak) and hatch chilis. All of the rest simply binds these two together. In fact, that's what I worked on this afternoon... it's simmering now, as those of my friends on FB already know.

attachment.php

Looks great Troy!

David

Made my first batch of the year today. Put it on the stove at lunch. Should be ready by the time I get home.

My wife doesn't like chopped tomatos so I normally just use tomato sauce. For the first time, I used both today. Added 25% more ground beef than I usually use too. There should be enough to last my wife and me and two teenagers through tomorrow night.

I've actually won first prize (an apron) at a chili cookoff in the "other" category which permits tomatoes and beans (in fact, my was a vegetarian chili made with Tempeh).

"I believe I'd kill a man who put beans in my chili"

Rip Torn, in some movie with Willie Nelson from a while back. But correct. If it has beans, it's soup. Or stew. It ain't chili. Not saying I wouldn't eat it, though. . .

Back