Beans or No Beans...

Official competition chili has no beans and no tomatoes. Just meat (beef) and spices (primarily chili peppers).

Of course, that's not my favorite. I make a pretty good tempeh chili with beans and tomatoes.

I usually use beans because I make extremely spicy chili, and the beans sort of provide a contrast to the spiciness.

Rich

I like pinto beans and kidney beans in mine. I use ground beef and sausage in equal parts.

I'm sure there will be long diatribes in this thread about what's proper chili and what isn't...but I'm not making it for you. :D

No beans. Anything else is some kind of weird f*****g bean dip.

:)

My crock pot recipe is...

1.25lb meat.. 50% ground beef, 50% ground venison (if available)
1 chopped onion

1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans or black beans
1 can corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can plain tomato sauce
chili powder
oregano
bay leaves
cayenne pepper
black pepper

Do you put ketchup on your hot dogs? :nono:

Carolina dogs...

put mustard on bun
Insert wiener. This wiener should be boiled (not grilled) and bright red

Top With:
hot dog chili
chopped uncooked white onions
slaw

Hot dog chili is a special kind of chili that contains no beans or onions. Comes in a can which is typically heated to lukewarm on the grill
Slaw must be only cabbage, mayo, salt + pepper and apple cider vinegar

A west carolina dog will come with a tangy tomato based slaw

11868.jpg

Last edited:
For eating with a spoon as the main course- w/Beans (I prefer kidney).
For using as a condiment or in queso- No beans.

No beans...I think you can still hang in Texas for using beans....otherwise its just meat flavored beans....

I use beans for company,since I'm carb free,I use meat ,peppers and onions in my personal chili,no beans.

What about white chile? Beans or no? I say yes.

Chile Verde? No. My favorite will always be Chile Verde with a good pork loin roast. Get some warm tortillas from HEB and I'm a happy camper. It may not be "proper" but it's what we like.

With

A. The kidney bean is one of the rare foods that you can survive on by itself.
B. Good for you.
C. Tasty.
D. Adds it's own flavor mix to the sauce.
E. I like them.
F. Angers the chili purists. (that's what I live for)

With beans of course. There is more to chili than just it going down, if it doesn't rumble your gastrointestinal track then it aint chili. And I make it with deer meat.

In chili.

Support your answer.

Moderate to no beans, to me it's not a crucial factor, the quality of the meat and seasoning is more important to me. However, you need to be very careful about making chili with beans, because I think you can get 3-5 years locked up with sex offenders in Texas for it.

Moderate to no beans, to me it's not a crucial factor, the quality of the meat and seasoning is more important to me. However, you need to be very careful about making chili with beans, because I think you can get 3-5 years locked up with sex offenders in Texas for it.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I was raised on chili with beans, but I honestly don't have a preference. There are too many chili varieties and I like most of them.

Beans, of course. They're the musical fruit!

Beans, beans..... they are good for your heart.....

At no time do I use red pepper or salt.

course ground beef
course ground buffalo
course ground secret meat that I have to special order
Pace hot thick and chunky pecante sauce
My secret blend of chili powders and spices, jalapenos and other secret ingredients
tomato paste, not sauce or stewed tomato
kidney beans or pinto beans to add character

And don't you dare come at my chili with a spoon. A fork will do the job just fine.

Crackers or tortilla chips are your choice, I won't mind.

I am currently experimenting with black beans but I still haven't perfected that yet.

A regularly contested topic, often with much spirited rethoric in these parts....including this very recent article on the topic.

There is always the question of season. The chili one makes has to match the season one is in and the beer called for. Summertime chili I prefer more liquid than winter.

My wife makes one from which I have past scars. 4th degree burns on the tongue, with permanent scarring. Some like more capsaicin than others.

Pace sauce. lol

Stuff's made in New York City! (actually Camden NJ, but close enough).

As a kid it was always beans. Since I have been married it is no beans. My wife makes the chili and she does not like beans.
I will eat it either way I am not picky

I don't use beans if I make it, but most folks in my circle use beans and I don't mind them.

P.S. Corn in chili is an abomination, and I would motion to bring such offenders to justice in short order.

Bean...'cause we both love 'em.

And my secret chili ingredient...

...spicy hot V8.

Honestly, if were not making homemade chili or getting it from a good restaurant. Wendy's chili is pretty good and supposedly a semi healthy choice for fast food.

Back