Beans or No Beans...

No beans, because I'm a Texan. I wont use ground meat either. A properly diced sirloin in 3/8" cubes is just right for chili, along with two diced onions, and some fresh ground chili's, not that blended crap from the grocery store.

Beans are a cheap filler substitute for when you have no, or not enough meat. Real chili has no beans in it. You are free to enjoy your chili-flavored bean soup if you must. I'll pass on the beans myself unless I'm seriously starving.

I vote beans.

My mom used beans, so I do too. And I think my chili is pretty dang good. :yes:

Bean...'cause we both love 'em.

And my secret chili ingredient...

...spicy hot V8.

I too use that as a tomato base for a lot of recipes when locally-grown fresh tomatoes are hard to come by. It's one of the few concessions I make to my "no processed foods" policy.

It's hard to get decent tomatoes that aren't locally grown. Not that there's any tomato magic about this place, mind you. It's just that the best-tasting tomatoes tend not to travel well. The ones that are bred to travel seem to have very little flavor. I may build a greenhouse or a grow room this fall and try to grow them through the winter.

Rich

It's hard to get decent tomatoes that aren't locally grown.

Home grown tomatoes are the BEST. I have never been one to eat a plain slice of tomato, but once we started growing our own, I have. Looking forward to planting some soon!

Pace sauce. lol

Stuff's made in New York City! (actually Camden NJ, but close enough).

Pace Picante Sauce was made in San Antonio at the time of the 1994 purchase by Campbell.

Campbell Picks Up Pace

Campbell Soup Co. agreed Monday to pay $1.1 billion for Pace Foods Ltd., maker of Mexican-style picante and chili sauces. Here is a snapshot of both companies:

Campbell Soup Co.:

* Headquarters: Camden, N.J.

* Chief executive: David W. Johnson

* Employees: 44,000

* Major products: Canned soups, frozen dinners, spaghetti sauces, other brand-name food products.

* 1994 revenue: $6.7 billion

* 1994 profit: $630 million

* Earnings per share: $2.51

* Fiscal year ends: july, 1994

* Stock price: Unchanged Monday at $43.75 a share.

Pace Foods Ltd.:

* Headquarters: San Antonio, Tex.

* Chief executive: Christopher Goldsbury, Jr.

* Employees: 471

* Major products: Mexican-style picante and green chili salsas

Note: Before Monday, the company was privately held; no earnings information is being released.

Sources: Bloomberg Business News, company reports.

Pace is still made in Texas. Wikipedia says it's made in Paris, TX. I seem to recall that Campbell's has a very large factory complex located there.

I have never met a chili dish I didn't like, beans or no beans. As long as it has enough capsacain, meat and seasoning. I like a mix of ground meat and chunks. Hot Italian sausage is good but not necessary with sufficient seasoning. I try to make a large pot and freeze some for later, but it never seems to last until later.

As an aside, when we went out West I looked for the best Chili around. The wait staff all looked at me like I was weird. One of them brought me a bowl of chili peppers. When I described what I wanted, most said they didn't have it. One Mexican restaurant said "oh, you mean brown pork stew"? I said "no", but I ordered a bowl anyway. It was quite good, but it wasn't "chili" as I know it.

As an aside, when we went out West I looked for the best Chili around. The wait staff all looked at me like I was weird. One of them brought me a bowl of chili peppers. When I described what I wanted, most said they didn't have it. One Mexican restaurant said "oh, you mean brown pork stew"? I said "no", but I ordered a bowl anyway. It was quite good, but it wasn't "chili" as I know it.

I guess I never realized that chili and Mexican food were related in any way.

hmmm, sounds weird, like maybe you were looking for chili in mami y papi mexican places...chili is 'merican dish, not Mexican. Of course just like here, Mexican food varies widely with region...

The name chili is short for chili con carne (chili peppers with meat, particularly beef), definitely a name of Mexican origin but originated in the San Antonio region in the 1800's.

Last edited:
My daughter and I like beans my wife and son don't.

When I can I make mine with tomatoes,onions and peppers from the garden and venison I killed myself.

Good stuff beans or not.

I guess I never realized that chili and Mexican food were related in any way.
They're not.

I just asked for a "bowl of chili" in almost every restaurant I went. Since there are some great Mexican Restaurants out there, we went to a few. So I asked them if they had chili. This one was the only restaurant that had anything that sounded like chili. And it was actually pretty good.

It reminds me of every time I go to Texas and look for BBQ'd Beef Ribs. Even though Texans proudly proclaim that pork isn't BBQ, almost every place I went, except one place in Fort Worth, only offered pork ribs. I got a few other recommendations for places in Texas that serve Beef Ribs, but when I got there they all said something like "we only have then on Tuesdays".

I love good Beef Ribs, but the only way I can get good ones is to cook the myself.

hmmm, sounds weird, like maybe you were looking for chili in mami y papi mexican places...chili is 'merican dish, not Mexican. Of course just like here, Mexican food varies widely with region...
Nope. In Miami I look for Cigars and Cuban sandwiches. I was in various parts of Arizona and New Mexico.

My daughter and I like beans my wife and son don't.

When I can I make mine with tomatoes,onions and peppers from the garden and venison I killed myself.

Good stuff beans or not.
:rofl: That statement could use a little punctuation. But I'm glad you didn't kill yourself over chili.

:rofl: That statement could use a little punctuation. But I'm glad you didn't kill yourself over chili.

Although the next morning some chili makes you wish you were dead.

Can't imagine what I'd put in chili if there were no beans. Of course, the vegetarian chili produced by the kitchens of Steinholme are far more flavorful than any chili you can buy and most you can make.

Pace and other bottled salsas cannot compare the the salsa's produced by the kitchens of Steinhome either. Those that have had mine know the truth of that.

Nope. In Miami I look for Cigars and Cuban sandwiches. I was in various parts of Arizona and New Mexico.

ummm, maybe read what I posted a little closer, mami <> miami

Anyway, New Mexico is chili verde country, not so much red chili which is what has the bean/no bean argument...

Dunno what Arizona is other than dry, dusty, and intolerant...

Last edited:
ummm, maybe read what I posted a little closer, mami <> miami
I read it. I just didn't fully understand the language and was too lazy to Google Translate it. Sorry about that.

I could do a whole rant on beans but I won't. Simply stated, I don't eat beans. Period. They jack up my system bad. Really, really bad. I can't digest them. If I eat them, I'm usually doubled over in stomach pain most of the night.

I try to avoid the beans if I come across with a chili that has been desecrated with them. Fava beans are best served with a nice chianti and liver. FVFVFVFV! Keep them out of the chili please.

Can't imagine what I'd put in chili if there were no beans. Of course, the vegetarian chili produced by the kitchens of Steinholme are far more flavorful than any chili you can buy and most you can make.

Pace and other bottled salsas cannot compare the the salsa's produced by the kitchens of Steinhome either. Those that have had mine know the truth of that.

Lost it at Steinholme :lol:

No Beans in Chili, Beans are just cheap filler to take the place of quality ingredients.

I could do a whole rant on beans but I won't. Simply stated, I don't eat beans. Period. They jack up my system bad. Really, really bad. I can't digest them. If I eat them, I'm usually doubled over in stomach pain most of the night.

Maybe undercooked, or raw red beans. Very toxic in some cases. Must be cooked at a boil for at least 10 min at sea level, longer at higher altitudes. I used to have trouble with beans but if you cook them right you will likely be fine. First blanch the beans well in fresh hot water, then try to cook them longer and see if that helps.

Wiki:

Toxicity[edit]
See also: Phaseolus vulgaris § Toxicity
Raw kidney beans contain relatively high amounts of phytohemagglutinin, and thus are more toxic than most other bean varieties if not pre-soaked and subsequently heated to the boiling point for at least 10 minutes. The U.S Food and Drug Administration recommends boiling for 30 minutes to ensure they reach a sufficient temperature long enough to completely destroy the toxin.[2] Cooking at the lower temperature of 80 °C (176 °F), such as in a slow cooker, can increase this danger and raise the toxin level up to fivefold.[3]

Last edited:
Maybe undercooked, or raw red beans. Very toxic in some cases. Must be cooked at a boil for at least 10 min at sea level, longer at higher altitudes. I used to have trouble with beans but if you cook them right you will likely be fine. First blanch the beans well in fresh hot water, then try to cook them longer and see if that helps.

No, it really doesn't. I lack certain enzymes needed to digest certain things. Besides, I'm a low carb guy, so I have other reasons for not eating them.

Sucks for you, though you are supposed to cook them first.:yesnod:

Sucks for you, though you are supposed to cook them first.:yesnod:

Doesn't matter how they are cooked. They can be soggy refried beans cooked three times over, or baked beans, or hummus, same thing. Any bean product.

No beans. What are you trying to do to me?! Peppers and meat only.

Add beans and it's not chili... it's stew. Bean stew. Take that bean stew back up north, you damn yankees.

I hate to admit it, but... Tomato, while not traditional, I don't mind in a chili.

The history of chili. How a camp cook could mask the taste of the skanky coyote he was going to feed you. History is fun but what some of you purists refer to isn't historically correct. Just sayin'. Eat what you like. Use beef filet if it suits you. Add beans if you like them. Who cares. I'd rather have a pot of beans without chili than a pot of chili without beans. Oh, born in Texas, reside a fair bit in Texas. Don't care much what the neighbors think, either.

Back