Battery Maintainer

I may have my aircraft model wrong, but isn't there access to a belly cover plate for an ADF antenna under the seat near the battery? If it's not being used why not install an MS type cannon plug with a screw on cover in the cover plate for your charger? You may have to get dirty to connect it and remember to disconnect it but it would be simple and near your battery.

Depends how you define small. But the options can be limitless. Here are a few:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cate...p/menus/el/cablecableaccessories_sealall.html
https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en/resources/PowerPoleResourcesPage.html

That access panel is being used for a transponder antenna. Plus I'm not really looking for the connector itself, more of an access panel like the GP plug already there. Something I can use to hook up the charger without running the wire out the door.

I used to think they were a crutch for another problem and made the battery weaker. Will see how my battery holds up because I've never had a problem with a battery before when not using one. So it will be a test for me.

Some maintainers can/will damage a battery. You have to be careful to choose the right one.

As far as it being a crutch, most of the people who use one in my area are using them as a crutch to avoid replacing batteries that are clearly junk. The maintainers generally will keep the batteries charged well enough to get a start out of them once disconnected, but the battery may not hold a charge for much longer or have any real capacity. That will cause problems if one ever ventures away from home...

That access panel is being used for a transponder antenna. Plus I'm not really looking for the connector itself, more of an access panel like the GP plug already there. Something I can use to hook up the charger without running the wire out the door.

It would be more work but how about running a wire up to the engine compartment for charging? No holes or bulkhead connectors required. You could just use the 2 pin SAE eonnector found on almost all the battery maintainers available.

It would be more work but how about running a wire up to the engine compartment for charging? No holes or bulkhead connectors required. You could just use the 2 pin SAE eonnector found on almost all the battery maintainers available.

That's an idea but like you said, its definitely more work.

Maybe not as much work during your next annual? You could always run something temporary and see how the concept works? Definitely another option vs external plug.

I'd have to remove the interior panels which I normally don't remove during an annual.

Do you have a power wire for a clock or something similar that is already behind the panel and goes back to the battery/disconnect area? If so you'd be 2/3 of the way there.

Not on the plane. When we were part timing between two houses, I'd put things like the lawn mower, the golf car, and even the beater truck at the other house on the battery tenderizers.

Not on the plane. When we were part timing between two houses, I'd put things like the lawn mower, the golf car, and even the beater truck at the other house on the battery tenderizers.

I thought I was the only one who called them battery tenderizers. Ha.

Does anyone use a maintainer on a regular basis?

If so, why or why not?

Yes! It's an absolute no-question, buy it today accessory for an airplane owner. I use a Battery MINDer which is designed for my specific aircraft battery (Concorde RG-35AXC, which, in my estimation, is the best battery I've ever installed in my Twin Comanche.)

The company's website features a prominent testimonial from a customer who says the Batter MINDer doubled his battery life. To me that is a believable claim because prior to the Battery Minder I was getting maybe 2 years out of a Gill battery. With the sealed Concorde RG-35AXC + a Battery Minder I made it nearly seven years before replacement which included periods of heavy use as well as spans in which in the aircraft was not used much. When I finally replaced the battery with the same model late last year I looked in the logbook and couldn't believe the last time I replaced it was in 2014.

As a result the unit was basically free, not to mention I didn't need to bother with ordering a new battery and replacing it in the meantime.

Looking forward to another 6+ years with my current battery.

Why? The Battery Tender and products like it are “smart chargers.” They keep the battery safely charged without overcharging. If you over charge you will fry the battery. The smart chargers, if left plugged in when the plane is not in use, will extend battery life.
This is great topic - the answer is YES for me, although I did not see the advantage till after several years of flying - not I would not do without one.

To be clear the Battery Tender and Battery Minder are NOT the same or even close. I have both. I use the Battery Tender on my riding lawnmover - it helps keep the battery in decent condition but both not excercise the battery, desulfate it and is not temperature compensating , as the Battery Minder is. I have over 6 years on one of my Concorde batteries using the Battery Minder. It is attached after every flight. I like the Battery Minder products so much I use on my Fifth Wheel RV setup.

Lawnmower batteries are cheap, but a good aircarft battery an investment worth maintaining. FYI - I've owned Gill and Concorde batteries. Personally - I've had better longenvity with the Concorde. The only time I did not was due to a volatge regulator.

Back