BasicMed misunderstandings

Clip4

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cli4ord
As an active CFI doing flight reviews, it is amazing how misinformed pilots are on this reg. Had a private pilot tell me yesterday how thankful he was that his Class 3 medical now expired after 10 years. Some others have stated all they need is a drivers license.

Makes you wonder how much other stuff about flying they don't understand.

I'll never forget the guy at an instrument refresher course I attended that SWORE controllers cancelled his IFR flight plan without him requesting "cancel IFR". I'd bet anything that what the controller said was "radar service terminated". He probably didn't understand the difference. Scary.

As an active CFI doing flight reviews, it is amazing how misinformed pilots are on this reg. Had a private pilot tell me yesterday how thankful he was that his Class 3 medical now expired after 10 years. Some others have stated all they need is a drivers license.
Not sure I understand what his misunderstanding was. Did he think the 3rd class needed to be expired in order to qualify for BasicMed? Or that it needed to be expired for 10 years, instead of having been valid in the last 10 (well, almost 11, now)? Or did he think the 3rd class was valid for 10 years? (!!)

There seem to be lots of misunderstandings about BasicMed and about medical certification in general. A CFII based at my field thinks he needs a 2nd class medical (not just a 3rd) to instruct and therefore that BasicMed is useless to him. I tried to set him straight and offered to point him to the correct chapter and verse, but he did not take me up on it.

With the plethora of good information that has been disseminated on Basic Med and with various web sites available to guide you, I do not see how anyone could be so utterly misinformed.

Not sure I understand what his misunderstanding was. Did he think the 3rd class needed to be expired in order to qualify for BasicMed? Or that it needed to be expired for 10 years, instead of having been valid in the last 10 (well, almost 11, now)? Or did he think the 3rd class was valid for 10 years? (!!)

There seem to be lots of misunderstandings about BasicMed and about medical certification in general. A CFII based at my field thinks he needs a 2nd class medical (not just a 3rd) to instruct and therefore that BasicMed is useless to him. I tried to set him straight and offered to point him to the correct chapter and verse, but he did not take me up on it.

This one was really unique. He thought that his 24 month Class 3 medical, which expired May 31, 2017, now did not expire until May 2025. When I explained his medical was expired, he said that's ok, I can fly on my drivers license.

This one was really unique. He thought that his 24 month Class 3 medical, which expired May 31, 2017, now did not expire until May 2025. When I explained his medical was expired, he said that's ok, I can fly on my drivers license.
Can you sign someone off on a flight review with an expired medical?

Ah, gotcha. He thought the 10 years referred to a change in the term of the 3rd class medical. VERY strange...

Makes you wonder how much other stuff about flying they don't understand.

I'll never forget the guy at an instrument refresher course I attended that SWORE controllers cancelled his IFR flight plan without him requesting "cancel IFR". I'd bet anything that what the controller said was "radar service terminated". He probably didn't understand the difference. Scary.

This should probably be in the IFR section but one day I was on an IFR flight plan (in IMC no less) with an approach facility and I got "73T leaving my airspace radar service terminated squawk VFR contact center 127.95" I was all WTF? I called center and they of course saw me on a normal IFR flight plan. This approach control facility is awful.

But yeah, BasicMed is creating all sorts of clusters. Pilots are uninformed, doctors are uniformed. As a CFI I'm midly informed but only because I want to help others. They don't listen anyway nor do I need to know too much about BasicMed because I have to hold a 2nd class for sightseeing.

My medical expires in a month. Since I have the luxury of good health, I decided to renew my 3rd class for another cycle, let things settle, then reevaluate. The rollout has been disappointing.

They should join AOPA to help stay informed!

Can't he fly "light sport" with a PPL?

Last edited:
Can you sign someone off on a flight review with an expired medical?
My last flight review was done that way. I wanted to delay it into the month after it expired, because I was tired of having an expiration date in the middle of summer. However, the CFI hadn't gotten his medical renewed yet, so I had to reschedule it to a date before it expired so that ONE of us was qualified to be pilot-in-command.

Amazing. Some people just don't seem to want to read what the law or regulations actually say. On the AOPA board, there's a thread from a guy who thinks a doctor can't require him to document his sleep apnea compliance before he will sign, because it's not specifically listed on the BasicMed form.

On the other hand, that same guy has an AME who thinks that his BasicMed signoff will only be valid for a year because of the sleep apnea, so apparently, it's not just applicants who are jumping to conclusions.

Accept my apologies for tooting my own horn but the FAA just published an edition of FAA safety Briefing with several articles devoted to BasicMed, most of which yours truly either authored or helped write.

Outreach for BasicMed has been a challenge. As noted above, the FAA doesn't typically interact with the non-AME medical community so getting the word out has been a challenge. When BasicMed first went live, I fielded a few calls from doctors offices with staff asking if this BasicMed thing was legit, lol.

As with pilots, 3rd class medical reform has been buzzing as a hot topic for so long that many tuned out much of the conversation, or picked up only bits and pieces. I have people still asking me at PBOR2 (no, BasicMed is not PBOR2). Nevertheless, BasicMed is somewhat complex with a lot conditions, so it's not surprising that some folks have some misunderstandings. For our part, we've been doing FAASafety Team briefings, doing outreach at aviation events (I'll be presenting at Airventure on Tuesday afternoon and working the FAA booth the whole week), and working with Aviation organizations like AOPA and EAA to facilitate their outreach efforts.

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/?cid=TW112

I am a heavy drinker, I had 3 DUIs just last month alone and I can't function sober.
Though I am clean now, I haven't done meth or anything harder in the last few days, I only maintain my alertness with some puffing (twice or three times a day).

So I can get away with BasicMed, right? Although I should find a "friendly" doctor because mine is a douchebag, he keeps saying that my liver can fail any day if I keep it up and the four past strokes are just a hint of what's coming. Which is why I failed my 3rd class a few years ago but I'm still perfectly healthy to fly.

Thanks for the great news. I'll go get my BasicMed right now. Oh, that reminds me, I gotta pick up another Coors Light 12-pack on the way. And some "goodies" from the dude on the corner, he always has some cool samples. Maybe the doc will want some too.

=========================================================================================
(Disclaimer for idiots: this is a joke/satire/comedy. *sigh* I can't believe I have to disclose it.)
(But if Br-Y-an taught me anything, it is that there are dumba**es out there. MANY!)

With the plethora of good information that has been disseminated on Basic Med and with various web sites available to guide you, I do not see how anyone could be so utterly misinformed.

Many people (not just pilots) are happy to be blissfully ignorant of laws and rules. Many times they've "heard from so and so" that the rule/law is "X" and they believe that regardless of whether it actually makes sense (principle of primacy, anyone?). Some people are also, frankly, dumb.

I am a heavy drinker, I had 3 DUIs just last month alone and I can't function sober.
Though I am clean now, I haven't done meth or anything harder in the last few days, I only maintain my alertness with some puffing (twice or three times a day).

So I can get away with BasicMed, right? Although I should find a "friendly" doctor because mine is a douchebag, he keeps saying that my liver can fail any day if I keep it up and the four past strokes are just a hint of what's coming. Which is why I failed my 3rd class a few years ago but I'm still perfectly healthy to fly.

Thanks for the great news. I'll go get my BasicMed right now. Oh, that reminds me, I gotta pick up another Coors Light 12-pack on the way. And some "goodies" from the dude on the corner, he always has some cool samples. Maybe the doc will want some too.

=========================================================================================
(Disclaimer for idiots: this is a joke/satire/comedy. *sigh* I can't believe I have to disclose it.)
(But if Br-Y-an taught me anything, it is that there are dumba**es out there. MANY!)

What you posted reminds me of thread a certain Comanche driver started... was a well crafted leg pulling of many a person here....

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/unsure-of-path-to-take.75426/

PS. the "poa.deleted" posts are likely that of Ron Levy.

PS. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q & R didn't exist.

Not only are there lots of folks blissfully ignorant of the rules, but I bet every last one of them will claim they know exactly what they're doing better than anyone else. Reminds me of someone...

Sorry to tell you this. Drinking Coors Light is an automatic disqualifier.

Back