BasicMed...Anyone have a PCP refuse?

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
I know it's only been a couple days, but has anyone talked to their PCP and found they were reluctant to sign off on the medical?

I imagine there will be some. I asked a new PCP at the clinic I go to the first time I saw him, and he said yes. That's probably unusual though.

Not to hijack your question, but a related (and IMO more interesting) question is how many AMEs will be willing to do BasicMed exams? From what Dr. Bruce has written I would expect quite a few to stay away from them because of liability concerns.

Yep--I'm a military retiree and asked my PCM at the off base Military Treatment Facility. (aka clinic) we use and I was told they have no plans to participate in the BasicMed program. If any of you mil retirees get a different answer from your PCM I'd like to know.

I asked my cardiologist about BasicMed yesterday. She doesn't understand why any physician would be reluctant to sign the physian declaration over liability concerns. She said it as she was signing off my SI paperwork like she's done every year, essentially a statement that I'm fit to fly. I may ask her to do a BasicMed exam next year. I don't need an AME exam this year so extending my SI is the easier path for now.

My AME has indicated that he will sign the Basicmed form. I have an appointment on Monday for the express purpose of the Basicmed exam. He is also my primary care provider.

Jim

My PCP had no problem signing my exam yesterday! :)

My PCP said no problem when I talked to him about it and gave him the details. I have an appointment with him to get it done.

Well I guess this thread should be renamed since the OP asked about BasicMed rejections and not successes.

The real question is , are they actually looking in your rectum or do they kinda just skip that line item ?

I didn't word it the best but I asked him last time I saw him if he does DOT stuff. He said no with the reason that the clinic decided it was easiest (probably cheaper) for only one of them in the clinic to do DOT stuff. My third class is up in May of 2018 so I will probably just make a normal physical appointment and see if he will sign it then. If not I am not out anything and will just get a new third class.

Yep--I'm a military retiree and asked my PCM at the off base Military Treatment Facility. (aka clinic) we use and I was told they have no plans to participate in the BasicMed program. If any of you mil retirees get a different answer from your PCM I'd like to know.

UPDATE -- My MTF reversed themselves after the clinic director reviewed the BasicMed info I sent them, and will now perform BasicMed exams.

I have had 2 doctors who I do not see for medical services, but see socially, and both told me they would sign me off without hesitation.

This is really a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I briefly summarized the BasicMed process at my last annual physical, my doctor asked me to provide him with a copy of the checklist when it was finalized, which I have now done. When he looked at the FAA's recommended reading list for the examining physician, he concluded that he would not have time to learn enough about aeromedical issues to make informed decisions. (He did indicate that he might revisit that decision if a lot of people request it.)

So now I have to look around for someone else to do it.

Well I guess this thread should be renamed since the OP asked about BasicMed rejections and not successes.

Actually this thread is terrific. Everyone is having no problem getting a doctor to do the exam. So far, only one poster reported a physician declining to do the exam, and that was quickly reversed.

I send all the links to my PCP, he said he is leaving the facility in July and I should see him in June so that he can sign off, or find another PCP. I am seeing him in June, even though my current medical is valid till Oct

If PCP's aren't will to sign off on this, then I guess commercial drivers, boat captains, fireman, police officers and few other professions that require a regular physical may be in trouble too...

I was surprised when I got my "Dr.letter" for the CPAP BS that they already had a form letter ready to go and just need to plug in personal info, a quick note, and the stats...

Actually this thread is terrific. Everyone is having no problem getting a doctor to do the exam. So far, only one poster reported a physician declining to do the exam, and that was quickly reversed.

I agree it is a good thread.

A prominent AME in my area has been saying for the last 12 months that basic med would be a failure because no primary care physician would ever sign the form.

I'm kind of glad that he's wrong.

...Everyone is having no problem getting a doctor to do the exam. So far, only one poster reported a physician declining to do the exam, and that was quickly reversed.
My doctor has NOT reversed his position - at leased not yet.

I read in another forum about someone going to a clinic that does DOT physicals and getting a BasicMed sign-off for $60.
I'll probably end up doing something of the sort. I may need cataract surgery first, so I have an appointment with my optometrist to find out how bad off I am.

Walked into a CareNow and they said they would do it once they realized the doctor didn't need some special qualification like for DOT physicals.

Walked into a CareNow and they said they would do it once they realized the doctor didn't need some special qualification like for DOT physicals.

Just an update on this - the doctor had trouble understanding the standard she was signing off on. It's not the same as a third class medical, but she wanted to follow the AME guide to a T. I tried to show her the FAA FAQ where it was clear the standard is whether or not I can safely operate a motor vehicle and that she gets to use her discretion, but she wanted to write a bunch of recommendations on the form. I think the FAA and AOPA have done a good job at explaining that the examining doctor has two choices - sign off or don't sign off. They can't put restrictions on flying and they can't tell a pilot he's not allowed to fly. That's a win in my book.

Either way, I'm signed off and can continue to fly. Now to get night current again.

Just an update on this - the doctor had trouble understanding the standard she was signing off on. It's not the same as a third class medical, but she wanted to follow the AME guide to a T. I tried to show her the FAA FAQ where it was clear the standard is whether or not I can safely operate a motor vehicle and that she gets to use her discretion, but she wanted to write a bunch of recommendations on the form. I think the FAA and AOPA have done a good job at explaining that the examining doctor has two choices - sign off or don't sign off. They can't put restrictions on flying and they can't tell a pilot he's not allowed to fly. That's a win in my book.

Either way, I'm signed off and can continue to fly. Now to get night current again.
I think the FAA went a little overboard on their recommended reading list in the doctor's instructions that they incorporated into the checklist. That appears to be what scared off my doctor. They should have made it clear that the provided sources are issues to consider, not legal requirements.

I think the FAA went a little overboard on their recommended reading list in the doctor's instructions that they incorporated into the checklist. That appears to be what scared off my doctor. They should have made it clear that the provided sources are issues to consider, not legal requirements.
It's FAA. It's their job to go overboard.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Doctors expose themselves to way more liability in their normal activities everyday vs. signing Basicmed.

Most know that and have no problem signing it. Several local owners and CAP members have already confirmed their doctors will sign it when the time comes, assuming they pass.

The fear being spread was unfounded.

Doctors expose themselves to way more liability in their normal activities everyday vs. signing Basicmed.

Most know that and have no problem signing it. Several local owners and CAP members have already confirmed their doctors will sign it when the time comes, assuming they pass.

The fear being spread was unfounded.
Speaking of CAP, they have recently stated that they will honor BasicMed signoffs, although, being a bureaucracy, it will take them some time to work out the details. ETA currently is sometime this summer.

But isn't those places just staffed by Physician's Assistants and not doctors ?

My AME has let his customers know that he will be doing Basicmed signoffs as well... I'm sticking with 3'rd class for now because I fly to Canada a bit, but I'd probably stick with him even if I went basic.

The Veterans Affairs VA need to be able to give BasicMed physicals. I went to an AME to do BasicMed physical and went through the complete process of the physical at the end he said I need a letter from my doctor saying I'm fit to fly. This is why I went to the AME in the first place because I don't have a regular doctor just the VA AOPA or some Aviation organization needs to educate the VA on the BasicMed program

The Veterans Affairs VA need to be able to give BasicMed physicals. I went to an AME to do BasicMed physical and went through the complete process of the physical at the end he said I need a letter from my doctor saying I'm fit to fly. This is why I went to the AME in the first place because I don't have a regular doctor just the VA AOPA or some Aviation organization needs to educate the VA on the BasicMed program
I'm having a little trouble parsing your second sentence. Are you saying that you went to an AME, had the physical, then at the end he said you needed your regular doctor to do this? Did he know going in that you wanted a BasicMed physical and not a 3rd class? If so then he should not have done the physical. If not, assuming he's a state licensed physician (and I believe he has to be in order to be an AME, though I could be wrong about that), he's misinformed. Again, if he's a state licensed physician he can sign the BasicMed documentation. Maybe he has issues with the added liability of doing BasicMed and refused for that reason, but then he should not have agreed to do the physical... again, assuming he knew going in that you wanted BasicMed.

I didn't have the form when I last saw my internist, but he said he would do it as long as he doesn't have to check my vision. Those of you going to a PCP, what are they doing for the vision check? Do they have eye charts?

I wanted to get my 3rd Class Medical renewed, called my AME (the only one in town), and he said he was taking the summer off and to do Basic Med with my PCP. Printed out the checklist, filled in my part of the checklist, took the physical and she signed me off. As far as the vision test, they used a chart I stood back 20ft and read the chart. Color test book. I did want my 3rd class so I could fly into Canada so maybe this fall I'll see the AME when he goes back to work. I did have to educate my PCP on Basic Med and she was happy to sign me off...:)

Every PCP I've been to has an eye chart somewhere on the wall to test distance vision. Many probably can do near vision testing, but I'm less sure about that. Color vision is the one required test I'd be seriously concerned about. They might have an old set of Ishihara plates or they might have to improvise. Or they'll say they would need to know what is acceptable and then they might be able to procure it.

I would definitely show the checklist to the PCP in advance and make sure they feel equipped to do all the testing. Lack of an opportunity to do that led me to do my BasicMed exam with an AME, just to avoid surprises.

I'm having a little trouble parsing your second sentence. Are you saying that you went to an AME, had the physical, then at the end he said you needed your regular doctor to do this? Did he know going in that you wanted a BasicMed physical and not a 3rd class? If so then he should not have done the physical. If not, assuming he's a state licensed physician (and I believe he has to be in order to be an AME, though I could be wrong about that), he's misinformed. Again, if he's a state licensed physician he can sign the BasicMed documentation. Maybe he has issues with the added liability of doing BasicMed and refused for that reason, but then he should not have agreed to do the physical... again, assuming he knew going in that you wanted BasicMed.

Yes I called ahead of time to make sure he did the Basicmed physicals, actually I called twice to make sure. Also I took all my lab results in to him, I was up front with him on everything. Had my old special issuance 3rd class with me and showed him, it expired in 2014. Passed the eye, blood pressure the complete physical. He didn't follow the check list for the Basic Med because it was like a 3rd class physical. All my lab work was good my blood sugar was 7.8 A1c The FAA cutoff is 9.0 A1c I was way under. I gave him a list of all the meds that I take everyone of them are ok by the FAA. Maybe the Type 2 diabetic scared him off. I am in good shape I work out three times a week, I'm an aircraft mechanic doing yoga in aircraft, Some of these aircraft its a work out in itself to get into tight plaices.

Last edited:
The Veterans Affairs VA need to be able to give BasicMed physicals

I thought the thread title was about phencyclidine rather than primary care physician.

Back