Basic Med

Bart4419

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bart
Does anyone have a list of Doctor’s in the Los Angels area that do the Basic Med. I have a class 3 and want to switch. I’m 78 now so I want to get the right Doc. I have an HMO and don’t want to try using them. Thanks

Search the AOPA website, it has a link to a list of Basic Med doctors. Just enter your zipcode and a list close to you will pop up.

I'm sure there will be a ton in LA who can do it, and I'm sure there will be some posters who will address that.

However, I'm curious why you say you dont want to "try" your HMO. With a Class 3, of course, if you fail you're going to have a time getting it back. With BasicMed, though, if you "Fail", you can go to another doctor the same day even and "Pass". Nothing gets reported to the FAA either way, that is why you have to keep track of the paperwork. I would suggest that you try your HMO. A lot of places like this count the BasicMed in with a yearly physical so it would end up costing you nothing extra to do.

Either way, good luck with the exam wherever you take it, there's nothing to it.

I'm sure there will be a ton in LA who can do it, and I'm sure there will be some posters who will address that.

However, I'm curious why you say you dont want to "try" your HMO. With a Class 3, of course, if you fail you're going to have a time getting it back. With BasicMed, though, if you "Fail", you can go to another doctor the same day even and "Pass". Nothing gets reported to the FAA either way, that is why you have to keep track of the paperwork. I would suggest that you try your HMO. A lot of places like this count the BasicMed in with a yearly physical so it would end up costing you nothing extra to do.

Either way, good luck with the exam wherever you take it, there's nothing to it.

If I were to guess, I'd say that going through an HMO leaves a traceable account of the exam. As the FAA has been known to violate HIPAA laws and search for information they're not supposed to search for...

While the law is the law, the regs are the regs, the FAA, along with other federal agencies, have shown repeatedly that they are above all of that. Thus, we cannot trust that they'll follow their own regs, and they'll defend the action with "internal policy". Many pilots have been screwed because of their dirty tactics. Not going through an HMO ensures there is nothing to find in case they do go looking where they're not supposed to look.

Last edited:
If I were to guess, I'd say that going through an HMO leaves a traceable account of the exam. As the FAA has been known to violate HIPPA laws and search for information they're not supposed to search for...
Where can I find more information about this?

Most places that do commercial trucking exams will do it. You may have to send them the form first if they haven’t done one before.

Thank’s I didn’t think about failing and not being able to fly again. At 78 I should go with the basic med, I’m in good condition and want to keep flying unless of course a med condition came up and I should not be flying.

If I were to guess, I'd say that going through an HMO leaves a traceable account of the exam. As the FAA has been known to violate HIPAA laws and search for information they're not supposed to search for...

While the law is the law, the regs are the regs, the FAA, along with other federal agencies, have shown repeatedly that they are above all of that. Thus, we cannot trust that they'll follow their own regs, and they'll defend the action with "internal policy". Many pilots have been screwed because of their dirty tactics. Not going through an HMO ensures there is nothing to find in case they do go looking where they're not supposed to look.

I doubt they code it with BasicMed, just a physical exam.

Like others, my PCP does it (and my SCCA medical) as part of my annual physical.

If I were to guess, I'd say that going through an HMO leaves a traceable account of the exam. As the FAA has been known to violate HIPAA laws and search for information they're not supposed to search for..
What traceable account of the exam? What would it contain?

You either have a prohibited condition or you don’t. There is also no such thing as an annual physical for the Medicare crowd. You are either going to the doc for a problem or your annual wellness visit.

Google DOT doctors.
He said he's looking for someone in the in Los Angeles area. When I have looked up providers in California that do DoT exams, all the ones I found were chiropractors, who are not considered to be state-licensed physicians by the state of California. That rules out their doing BasicMed exams in this state.

This ain't that hard.

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/basicmed/doctor-finder

upload_2023-5-28_16-57-31.png

Maybe with your doc.

What Medicare will pay for. The cognitive tests replace the physical exams. If you read the checklist for the physician on Basic Med, the Medicare wellness does not cover some of the items. Yes, there are docs that will exceed the Medicare standard for annual wellness.

I switched to Basic Med, and had my PCP do the exam. She was unfamiliar with it, so I went into CFI mode and taught a basic lesson on FAA medical, and walked her through it. I knew in advance that I had no disqualifying conditions, and what the standards are thanks in large part to the information exchanged in this forum.

I hadn't seen that search feature before. But it isn't as good as one might hope - for my location it does not list the general practitioner who did my Basic Med exam in his office 2 miles from my home. Instead, it lists physicians located well over an hour away.

Per AOPA, on their site:
To be listed in this directory, a physician must complete a consent form acknowledging that he or she: (1) is a state-licensed physician; (2) is available to perform BasicMed examinations; and (3) is to be included in this directory. AOPA does not collect or pay any fee for a physician to be listed in this directory.

So this is a self reporting listing of doctors. Perhaps mention it to your doctor and maybe it'll help some other pilots in your area.

Right or wrong (and I’d personally contend it’s “right”), the FAA has determined it’s a covered entity under HIPAA, which means no authorization by the patient is needed for them to receive health information. https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2006/02/15/06-1424/public-health-authority-notification

Back