Basic med after review notice?

MegatronFlies81

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MegatronFlies81
If I apply for my initial first class medical and the AME issues, but then months later the FAA mails the note saying "we can not determine your eligibility...blah blah" and requests more information - can I apply for basic med while my certificate is under review? Does leaving the AME office with a certificate count as actually "having a medical" therefore enabling access to Basic Med?

I am far from an expert but I think it depends on what happens to your current medical certificate which is currently under review.

If it ends up getting denied than pretty sure that makes you ineligible for BasicMed.

… the FAA mails the note saying "we can not determine your eligibility...
To be qualified for BasicMed, you must have been found eligible on your last application. The FAA is now officially notifying you that, upon review, your eligibility is indeterminate. So while you theoretically (and practically) could jump to BasicMed, if the FAA denies your medical, you’d be SOL for BasicMed.

Wait for the letter, jump through the hoops, then go to BasicMed.

You're not eligible for Basic Med if this is your initial medical certification application , but if your AME initially certified you that's a good sign. Often these letters simply need more documentation, some or all of which just hasn't been included in the application but is readily available.

Just curious - if you are now considering Basic Med what was the reason for applying for a First Class rather than a Third Class medical certification?

You're not eligible for Basic Med if this is your initial medical certification application , but if your AME initially certified you that's a good sign. Often these letters simply need more documentation, some or all of which just hasn't been included in the application but is readily available.

Just curious - if you are now considering Basic Med what was the reason for applying for a First Class rather than a Third Class medical certification?
I do want to fly professionally but I don't want FAA hiccups to stop my training. I figured I could use basic med to continue training while my application is under review. I haven't actually been issued a medical yet, but my AME said he was confident he could - provided I get him what he needs.

You have to win this certification and fill the agency's squares. NOBODY @ FAA thinks you have a useable BASIC MED until you win the certificate. Besides, you have to have a medical first, before a Basic is any good. That's part of the original leigslation from July 14, 2016.

So it would be more useful for you to FILL THE REQURIEMENTS set forth in the letter that you quote as "blah blah blah".....because if you don't in time, it's becomes a denial. And that's the END of any Basic Med.

Last edited:
You have to win this certification and fill the agency's squares. NOBODY @ FAA thinks you have a useable BASIC MED until you win the certificate. Besides, you have to have a medical first, before a Basic is any good. That's part of the original leigslation from July 14, 2016.

So it would be more useful for you to FILL THE REQURIEMENTS se for tin the letter that you quote as "blah blah blah".....because if you don't in time, it's becomes a denial. And that's the END of any Basic Med.
After AME issues the medical. How long does it take to receive the FAA's confirmation in the mail?

As pointed out, technically you currently meet the requirements for basic med, it is however somewhat moot. If you don't respond to the FAA's inquiry now they will send you a letter saying you are not qualified and demand you surrender the issued certificate or face legal action. At that point, you're out of luck for basic med.

After AME issues the medical. How long does it take to receive the FAA's confirmation in the mail?
Doesn't work that way. Either you get issued by the AME or deferred. If deferred, the certificate gets sent from Joklahoma city. If you get issued and the FAA decides they need to review, then you'll get a letter. If they don't decide to review, there's no 'confirmation' that they agree with the AME.

Doesn't work that way. Either you get issued by the AME or deferred. If deferred, the certificate gets sent from Joklahoma city. If you get issued and the FAA decides they need to review, then you'll get a letter. If they don't decide to review, there's no 'confirmation' that they agree with the AME.
I'm afraid of getting issued my medical, starting training, and then months later receiving a letter requesting more information. Anyways, thanks for the reply and opinion! Much appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm afraid of getting issued my medical, starting training, and then months later receiving a letter requesting more information. Anyways, thanks for the reply and opinion! Much appreciated!
Somebody may have mentioned that the FAA has a period within which they must raise any concerns about a medical certificate that has been issued, but I'm not 100% sure of that, and I don't remember what the length of time was.

Somebody may have mentioned that the FAA has a period within which they must raise any concerns about a medical certificate that has been issued, but I'm not 100% sure of that, and I don't remember what the length of time was.

A certificate issued by an aviation medical examiner is considered to be affirmed as issued unless an FAA official named in this paragraph (authorized official) reverses that issuance within 60 days after the date of issuance.

67.407 Delegation of authority.

If I apply for my initial first class medical and the AME issues, but then months later the FAA mails the note saying "we can not determine your eligibility...blah blah" and requests more information - can I apply for basic med while my certificate is under review? Does leaving the AME office with a certificate count as actually "having a medical" therefore enabling access to Basic Med?

As soon as the AME types your number into the system at the start of your medical, your medical is live. Your only choices are to quit the medical / quit flying or go through with what they say.

A certificate issued by an aviation medical examiner is considered to be affirmed as issued unless an FAA official named in this paragraph (authorized official) reverses that issuance within 60 days after the date of issuance.

67.407 Delegation of authority.
Maybe. But I got a "request for more information" letter this year only a few weeks before my 3rd class was going to expire. Was planning to switch to Basic Med when my 3rd Class expired anyway, and wondered if I could just ignore the letter, but Dr. Bruce informed me that I needed to satisfy the FAA request. Ended up sending the requested data in several days before the 3rd Class expired, and didn't get the "OK, we're satisfied" letter back from FAA for another ~6 weeks. In the meantime, I'd completed the Basic Med process and continued flying, with my fingers crossed that I wouldn't get a denial letter.

So just because it's been 60 days since your AME signed your card, it doesn't mean you're 100% free-and-clear.

BTW, the condition they wanted more info on was one that I'd consistently reported since my first medical application as a student almost 15 years ago. Dunno why they suddenly got all excited about it.

I have heard that they have come back beyond the 60 day thing. There have been a couple of examples in these forums as well where they came back and denied/revoked 4 months later after issuance. So they obviously dont adhere to that 60 day it becomes permanent thing. . .

As to the OP - either you come out with a medical from the office, or its essentially deferred. I think reading between the lines of what you have posted and what Dr Chien has posted - it appears that your AME /may/ feel like he can issue on the spot. And perhaps he can by finding the right examiner. Perhaps he may issue regardless, but from what it sounds like - OKC will perhaps want more information or may require you to go through the battery of tests since you are on the 5 year borderline threshold.

Maybe. But I got a "request for more information" letter this year only a few weeks before my 3rd class was going to expire. Was planning to switch to Basic Med when my 3rd Class expired anyway, and wondered if I could just ignore the letter, but Dr. Bruce informed me that I needed to satisfy the FAA request. Ended up sending the requested data in several days before the 3rd Class expired, and didn't get the "OK, we're satisfied" letter back from FAA for another ~6 weeks. In the meantime, I'd completed the Basic Med process and continued flying, with my fingers crossed that I wouldn't get a denial letter.

So just because it's been 60 days since your AME signed your card, it doesn't mean you're 100% free-and-clear.

BTW, the condition they wanted more info on was one that I'd consistently reported since my first medical application as a student almost 15 years ago. Dunno why they suddenly got all excited about it.
That's the life. You just never know! Was your condition physical or mental?

I have heard that they have come back beyond the 60 day thing. There have been a couple of examples in these forums as well where they came back and denied/revoked 4 months later after issuance. So they obviously dont adhere to that 60 day it becomes permanent thing. . .

As to the OP - either you come out with a medical from the office, or its essentially deferred. I think reading between the lines of what you have posted and what Dr Chien has posted - it appears that your AME /may/ feel like he can issue on the spot. And perhaps he can by finding the right examiner. Perhaps he may issue regardless, but from what it sounds like - OKC will perhaps want more information or may require you to go through the battery of tests since you are on the 5 year borderline threshold.
From the specific dates on my records, I was on the meds for technically less than 4 years (3.95 years). So, is this still considered "borderline"? I've heard of people listing a condition and not hearing from the FAA until years later. Do they review 1st class more closely/frequently than 3rd?

"18(m). Have you ever in your life been diangosed with a mental disorder?"
3.95 years is hard to make the case that you didn't have a diagnosis to support $x,xxx's of $s of psychoactive meds......or perjury if you mark the box "no".

You need a psychiatrist's testimony for exposure beyond 2 years. "blah blah blah....". Why? the DSM sez that a "reactive disorder is limited to 24 months". And PCPs have no education as to pointing out the features that predispose to relapse, whcih is EXACTLY WHAT THE FAA's demand for infomration is about: future risk!

"18(m). Have you ever in your life been diangosed with a mental disorder?"
3.95 years is hard to make the case that you didn't have a diagnosis to support $x,xxx's of $s of psychoactive meds......or perjury if you mark the box "no".

You need a psychiatrist's testimony for exposure beyond 2 years. "blah blah blah....". Why? the DSM sez that a "reactive disorder is limited to 24 months". And PCPs have no education as to pointing out the features that predispose to relapse, whcih is EXACTLY WHAT THE FAA's demand for infomration is about: future risk!
The one who prescribed me and writing the letter is a psychiatrist. Does that help my case? I haven’t had the actual exam yet. Haven’t even filled out Medexpress. I’m just trying to prepare for potential outcomes and to ensure that I send all information they need with my packet. Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated!

Getting a current note from a psychiatrist will be a requirement for you. Having that report ready to go before your AME appointment will be helpful as long as it contains the necessary level of detail and specific content AMCD requires.

Back