Baseball... The best game!!

My wife has given me a hard time since the cricket channel "Willow" has shown up on our cable. Now there's a game missing a clock. After five days if the game might still not be decided and they just give up.

Frankly the inter-inning and the pitching change times don't bother me so much. Get up, go get a beer, use the toilet, whatever...

It's the idiot batters taking time and leaving the box after every pitch that is what makes the game a snoozer. Of course, any attempt to limit this gets a lot of cry babies that say the pitchers get to take as long as they want to deliver. Neglecting that the parity applies to the batters for both teams.

We don't have athletes to watch anymore, but just a bunch of self-entitled cry babies who've priced the average fan out of the market.

This is one reason that I prefer minor league baseball. Low cost, no metal detectors or invasive bag searches, and reasonable food. Some stadiums are better than MLB facilities (the Round Rock stadium comes to mind).

And yeah, you're right, the prices are pretty high. Though I note that a night at a Broadway theater or the Kennedy center for a good performance can run as much as a night at the ballpark.

Yep, I like minor league ball too. I have several teams to chose from in my area (Bowie Baysox, Frederick Keys, and the Prince William Nationals). Frankly I think the Price William park is an armpit. Bowie and Frederick have very nice facilities. Costs hardly anything to get in, they give you your score card for free, cheap food and beer, you sit close to the action. It's not taken so seriously, you can talk to the batters in the on deck circle, etc...

Yep, I like minor league ball too. I have several teams to chose from in my area (Bowie Baysox, Frederick Keys, and the Prince William Nationals). Frankly I think the Price William park is an armpit. Bowie and Frederick have very nice facilities. Costs hardly anything to get in, they give you your score card for free, cheap food and beer, you sit close to the action. It's not taken so seriously, you can talk to the batters in the on deck circle, etc...

Agree completely. We have a build your own season pass to the Keys, go once or twice a month.

I hate the stadium at Potomac, but we go occasionally. Hagerstown is even worse. Haven't been to Bowie in a while, but it's also nice. We also run down to Richmond on occasion.

Agree completely. We have a build your own season pass to the Keys, go once or twice a month.

I hate the stadium at Potomac, but we go occasionally. Hagerstown is even worse. Haven't been to Bowie in a while, but it's also nice. We also run down to Richmond on occasion.

I like the minors, as well. When I still lived in The City, I considered the Brooklyn Cyclones my home team. Cheap tickets, reasonably-priced food, and good baseball. They also had the "Beach Bums" (cheerleaders, basically) who weren't too hard to look at.

I think the Cyclones games and the ocean are the only things I miss about living downstate. (Maybe all-night delis and Chinese restaurants that are open on Sundays, as well; but I've learned to work around those.)

Rich

The Brooklyn Cyclones trivia - Manager Tom Gamboa used to be first-base coach for the KC Royals.

He was the guy attacked on the field by the drunk father-son combination in Comiskey Park. I think he ended up with some permanent hearing damage because of a punch to the ear.

Skip to the 1:00 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG8nYtDkkqE

I haven't watched a game of baseball. I'm more of a basketball fan. :)

I stopped contributing to the salaries of millionaire athletes years ago by not going to the stadium/arena/venue of play and watching it on tv. To me if you pay someone five million dollars a year to throw a ball into a hoop and he misses, he should be fined $1,000 for each occurrence. And one more thing, no blood - no foul.

To those who may counter with the "Even if you watch it on TV, you pay for the products in the commercials." I say, I buy what I want and when I want. If a commercial for the product I buy happens to be aired during a professional game, it is strictly a coincidence. However, I can live with the .004% of the cost of the product I buy which may go into an athlete's pocket.

Well, now I'm down in the Carolinas and we've got AAA at Winston-Salem. Premium Beer was $2. Nice game. We've also got the Kannapolis Intimidators and the Hickory Crawdads in the Single A league.

I haven't watched a game of baseball. I'm more of a basketball fan. :)
NBA is hardly basketball either. I'll watch a college game from time to time, but pro basketball is pretty awful these days.

Got free tickets to the Rockies game Friday night. Watched their bullpen throw away another game. Totally normal.

Football baby, football. Give me my Packers and Bama any day. I watch some NASCAR, Indy Cars, and F1. Maybe a little college baseball too. But I do take my grandson to minor league baseball games because he loves baseball.

And then there's the Irish sport of Hurling. Imagine hockey plaid on grass with a baseball and shorter clubs rather than sticks.

Beginner level:

When they curl, you drink.

I could get into more advanced levels but this is a good starting point.

Man I thought there was going to be some great interesting with rules about the silly people with the brooms and stuff. Hahaha.

Every time I watch curling I want to show the guys and gals that they can just pick up the weight thingy, toss it on the back of the snow machine, drive over there, and put it wherever they like. ;)

And then there's the Irish sport of Hurling. Imagine hockey plaid on grass with a baseball and shorter clubs rather than sticks.

You mean that hurling isn't a game played in college that involves drinking pitchers of warm ale? ;) :O

(Yes, I know what there Irish sport of Hurling is, just making sport myself).

Back