Baron Thomas charged with fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will show you the tail numbers when you arrive on site". What kind of idiot does he think people are anyway?

The kind that would go in the FAA database, cold call the registered owner and circumvent HIM.. the broker..

He may be fishy.. but he's not stupid..

Money talks.. BS walks....

The kind that would go in the FAA database, cold call the registered owner and circumvent HIM.. the broker..

.....which is only a concern if one doesn't actually have a brokering agreement with the registered owner.

Plenty of brokers out there who show the n-number in all it's beauty and provide meaningful and accurate information on the condition of the aircraft, at times including scanned logs etc. They must all be stupid then.

Barron's clientele on the retail side are bottom feeders -- he frequently markets the cheapest example of plane X, and will almost certainly draw the less honorable crowd that way, so I think he has a legitimate reason to defend his N numbers -- I'm certain a good percentage of his tire-kickers reason the phonecall to the owner is worth a bonus 5% to their negotiations. Some people will punch their mama for $50. Those people buy planes from Scottsdale.

(full disclosure: I bought my plane from him, I will not punch my mama for any price :D )

I used to see those ads in TAP for "Earn 12% Guaranteed" on Barron's short-term investments and all I could think was -- impossible. It had to be a scam. I just can't believe it was out in the open and so frickin' obvious.

But it's ok for you to use the word "frickin'" in your post?

Receivables management isn't one of your strong suits, eh?

Trapper John

That's a reasonable comment to make in this case. I worked as an a/c broker in AZ for a few years and had some dealings with Barron when he was in Texas. He and I never did any business together but I certainly talked to him from time to time. I am still involved in the a/c business but now I'm back here in "flyover" country. My a/p manager had no luck getting Barron on the phone so I decided to give it a try when the tie down charges had not been paid for over one year. Sure enough, Barron took the call and gave me his standard song and dance. I was trying to give the guy some slack since we still have some old friends in common. I had always suspected that Barron was a bit on the shady side but I had no proof, just lots and lots of stories. About one year ago I started to get the news that he was more than just a bit shady so we gave the job to our attorney. Not long after that, Barron got his first big visit from "The Men In Black". Our attorney has advised us that we can now "dispose" of the a/c. We can't actually "sell" it but we do "own" it now, more or less. It's all rather complicated due to the Feds being in charge of a/c registratons and the laws of the particular state that I live in. So now between the rent and the legal fees, I'm really upside down in this deal but at least I can now get it off my ramp. I feel sorry for the airplane, it deserves a better fate. I don't have much sympathy for the folks who took the bait on Barron's scam. Seriously, how dumb can you be?

The title for that lonely plane on your ramp probably showed up in the files for 20 different investors.

Have the local sheriff seize the plane, impound it, advertise it in a paper for it to be auctioned off to pay outstanding tie down fees, sell it to the highest bidder, keep the procedes and then wait for the 20 investors to show up to claim ownership... Like they will actually show up. :lol::lol::lol:

But it's ok for you to use the word "frickin'" in your post?

One post contains a mild oath in place of a curse.

One post makes contains comments with obvious antipathy directed towards homosexuals and homosexual activity.

Comparable? I think not.

Okay Gentlemen,
In order to help as much as I can to secure justice in the Barron Thomas situation, I need to contact recent Texas investors in Barron's 12% program. Also, I think it would help if these investors, Texas residents or not, knew about each other because there are a lot of them out there and much effort has been taken to keep them apart. To this end, I am using my email address of ktzmam@yahoo.com to serve as a data collection point. Confidentiality is assured and up to you, and I can return calls for free.

I am not an attorney, just another pilot. Thanks in advance.

Okay Gentlemen,
In order to help as much as I can to secure justice in the Barron Thomas situation, I need to contact recent Texas investors in Barron's 12% program. Also, I think it would help if these investors, Texas residents or not, knew about each other because there are a lot of them out there and much effort has been taken to keep them apart. To this end, I am using my email address of ktzmam@yahoo.com to serve as a data collection point. Confidentiality is assured and up to you, and I can return calls for free.

I am not an attorney, just another pilot. Thanks in advance.

What part do you have to play in all of this? I can't say that I would recommend any of our members give their personal information to somebody that comes along and posts a yahoo e-mail address trying to collect information on their personal investments.

If he is from Zimbobwa and has 5.6 million US dollars with my name on it from a distant relative that was killed in a donkey accident then he is probably legit.:rofl::rofl::rofl::yikes:

My posts that include reference to Ken Z. have been deleted.

Well, I was simply peeved at how Thomas lied to me when I tried to frickin' *buy* a plane; I guess I should count myself lucky, eh?

I hope Mr. Zeiler's crusade is a complete success.

Hear, hear, Spike. It's bad enough to have financial problems as you start your retirement. To be (allegedly) bilked by a fellow aviator, though, that's low.

Does the parenthetical comment above mean I've watched too many "politically correct" newscasts?

Hear, hear, Spike. It's bad enough to have financial problems as you start your retirement. To be (allegedly) bilked by a fellow aviator, though, that's low.

Does the parenthetical comment above mean I've watched too many "politically correct" newscasts?

Yes.

Yes.

So....there should be a bunch of planes available for cheap now right (not to rain on Ken's parade, just asking)?

Where does one find one of these planes?

Oh, and I hope Barron Thomas does serious time.

I find it amazing that a cabal of people with $700,000 under their couch cushions to invest in pipe dreams cannot discover a solution to this problem.

If you lose 700 grand, why not find another 50 or 100, and put this joker into a hurtlock?

I'm sure in the wealthy burbs of Arizona, 50 grand would buy a lot of [lawyer power].

Last edited:

The writer of the article, J. D. Miles, needs to review the proper use of the apostrophe. The plural of Zeiler would be Zeilers, not Zeiler's(as written).
And "one investors' money" is incorrect whereas it should be "one investor's money." Where are the proof readers in these days of technology?

I hope that Mr. Zeiler's efforts become fruitful and that the Zeilers' and other investors' funds get resolved in an appropriate manner.

HR

The writer of the article, J. D. Miles, needs to review the proper use of the apostrophe. The plural of Zeiler would be Zeilers, not Zeiler's(as written).
And "one investors' money" is incorrect whereas it should be "one investor's money." Where are the proof readers in these days of technology?

I hope that Mr. Zeiler's efforts become fruitful and that the Zeilers' and other investors' funds get resolved in an appropriate manner.

HR

I think you mean "proof reader's"

:lol:

Well, I was simply peeved at how Thomas lied to me when I tried to frickin' *buy* a plane; I guess I should count myself lucky, eh?

I hope Mr. Zeiler's crusade is a complete success.
Me too. To both statements. I only had a single email exchange about a BT airplane and that was enough to make decide that I was not comfortable about a possible purchase.

You go Ken!!!

Well, I would partially agree with your assessment. Ken Zeiler is a real person and has some skin in this game. That said, using the name Ken Zeiler as your title on PoA isn't exactly an iron clad verification of one's identity. My statement still holds true. I wouldn't recommend to my friends that they send investment details to a guy that shows up to make one post on an internet and asks people to send info to a yahoo e-mail address...at least not without some due diligence.

Ken, I'm sure you're a nice enough guy. This isn't aimed at you...I've found a healthy dose of skepticism has kept me from falling prey to internet scams. I hope you stick around and become a part of this great community of aviators.

And you are in error. There is no possession indicated, only plurality of proof reader in my question, "Where are the proof readers in these days of technology?"

If I had written, "A proof reader's responsibility is to correct the errors of other writers," your point would be correct. However, you're not. Re your written example I suppose I should have written error's and writer's, at which I'd have looked pretty uninformed of proper expression.

:eek:)

HR

Well, I would partially agree with your assessment. Ken Zeiler is a real person and has some skin in this game. That said, using the name Ken Zeiler as your title on PoA isn't exactly an iron clad verification of one's identity. My statement still holds true. I wouldn't recommend to my friends that they send investment details to a guy that shows up to make one post on an internet and asks people to send info to a yahoo e-mail address...at least not without some due diligence.

Ken, I'm sure you're a nice enough guy. This isn't aimed at you...I've found a healthy dose of skepticism has kept me from falling prey to internet scams. I hope you stick around and become a part of this great community of aviators.

Yahoo.. it looks like I really do have 5.6 million US dollars coming to me.:lol::lol::rofl:. Now I can buy a Beechcraft from Baron Thomas too.

Agreed.

You see a big risk in sending somebody an email that says you invested with BT? They've already lost a ton of dough, what's the additional exposure to checking out the possibility of recovery?

You see a big risk in sending somebody an email that says you invested with BT? They've already lost a ton of dough, what's the additional exposure to checking out the possibility of recovery?

I would simply express that because somebody listed their name in a website registration that isn't a confirmation of their identity. A name that was listed in a news article about a swindler. Social engineering experts would argue that being taken like this, and the desire for retribution would cause some to lower their guard.

My hope would be that those on this board (or googling for information on the Thomas case) would employ some level of due diligence before divulging personal information to a guy that comes along and posts to an internet forum. Unless you or somebody else that they know and trust is willing to vouch that this is indeed Mr. Zeiler and that he exists at the other end of that yahoo e-mail address.

HR

In support of Harley: From Dr. Mark Perryman's blog: http://mjperry.blogspot.com/

Best,

Dave
=================================================

National Grammar Day: March 4 (March Forth)

Yesterday was National Grammar Day: "Language is something to be celebrated, and March 4 is the perfect day to do it. It's not only a date, it's an imperative: March forth on March 4 to speak well, write well, and help others do the same!"

To celebrate National Grammar Day, the Grammar Girl has prepared these Top Ten Grammar Myths.

In honor of National Grammar Day, here's my personal choice for the most abused grammar/spelling rule in the English language: the frequent misuse of "it's" (contraction for "it is") when it should be "its" (possessive).

Exhibit A: A Google search shows 72,600 results for the incorrect phrase "meet it's obligations."

Exhibit B: A Google search shows more than 9 million results for the incorrect phrase "at it's best."

What's so hard about such a simple rule and why do so many people get this wrong so frequently - I see it almost daily, and frequently in the comments on CD?

It's pretty basic: "It's" is always a contraction for "it is" and if you can't substitute "it is" for "it's" in a sentence, you know it's wrong, e.g. "the company couldn't meet it's obligation," and "boxing at it's best" are both wrong because you can't substitute "it is" in those sentences for "it's."

Well, it would be an easy way to get a list of suckers...

"Send $10,000 for legal fees to..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back