Barefoot Bandit Gets 7 Years

Exactly, now let's explore why that is and we get at the issue, fear. We fear odds that would have us all regularly winning lottery hits and allow that to restrict the way we live our lives and spend our money. We waste our entire economy on the farce we call security and criminal justice and we have neither security or justice.

Which is exactly why vigilante justice works great out here in the West... The criminal can beat the system in liberal sections of the country/ world... There are some places where the "SSS" concept still exists..:yesnod::yesnod:.

Come on out and steal some cattle or horses or planes and get caught.:yesnod::D:wink2:

It's because heroin is illegal on our market, that's why. Arabs need the Persians to do their smart work ( never mistake an Iranian for an Arab, even in questions of Islam) so dirt cheap pure heroin is readily available in Iran as it is the primary point of distribution for processed heroin overland to Rotterdam and then to the rest of the world. If it was legal, the poppy farmers would make a very good living and we could eliminate the Taliban and other middleman profiteers who make up the criminal aspect. The Swiss give heroin to their junkies for free.

Of all the things you could choose to call Colton, gutless coward is about the least fitting. Most people don't have the guts to check themselves out in a new type solo, much less teach themselves to fly....

Stupid isn't the same thing as courage.

Which is exactly why vigilante justice works great out here in the West... The criminal can beat the system in liberal sections of the country/ world... There are some places where the "SSS" concept still exists..:yesnod::yesnod:.

Come on out and steal some cattle or horses or planes and get caught.:yesnod::D:wink2:

Considering the realities of western vigilante justice, I have no major problem. Heck, I remember how well it worked catching the Unibomber...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have you ever put a lot of time and effort and determination into getting something for yourself that you really want or need for years then once you finally have it some idiot snot comes along and steals it or tears the living crap out of it and leaves you standing there with nothing? I'm guessing you haven't. Try it sometime, it's not as much fun as you think it is. (Yea, BTDT several times and it's not funny in the least)

You know, I seem to recall there being something to cover you in a situation such as this. Oh, why yes, it is called insurance.

I wonder if Leonardo DiCaprio will play him when the movie comes out? :rolleyes:

Let us not forget another thief that went around lying, cheating and stealing and was not only rewarded for his actions but was also the consultant for the movie "Catch Me If You Can".

The quote below comes directly from the IMDB.com website:

"A true story about Frank Abagnale Jr. who, before his 19th birthday, successfully conned millions of dollars worth of checks as a Pan Am pilot, doctor, and legal prosecutor."

It's because heroin is illegal on our market, that's why. Arabs need the Persians to do their smart work ( never mistake an Iranian for an Arab, even in questions of Islam) so dirt cheap pure heroin is readily available in Iran as it is the primary point of distribution for processed heroin overland to Rotterdam and then to the rest of the world. If it was legal, the poppy farmers would make a very good living and we could eliminate the Taliban and other middleman profiteers who make up the criminal aspect. The Swiss give heroin to their junkies for free.

So did the Chinese, until they knew who they were and killed them all, problem solved.

New Chinese proverb " get hi you die"

So did the Chinese, until they knew who they were and killed them all, problem solved.

New Chinese proverb " get hi you die"

Doesn't work there any better than here either; nor Singapore nor Indonesia or anywhere else, same result as every culture trying to control people getting high all through history. It could even be argued we're genetically predisposed to drug use as an evolutionary tool.

You know, I seem to recall there being something to cover you in a situation such as this. Oh, why yes, it is called insurance.

I will never get an insurance company to place a hull value on my plane for what I would truly need cover what I've dumped into it to get it like I want it.

Somebody steals it and crashes it I guesstimate that I'm out about 8 grand from the max any insurance company will give me for a hull value. Mag rebuilds, radios, indicators, new gyros, new pitot static instruments, the pain in the ass of getting it all installed... I'd rather have my plane than what the insurance company would pay.

Not to mention the couple of hundred hours I've worked on it over the past few years.

Doesn't work there any better than here either; nor Singapore nor Indonesia or anywhere else, same result as every culture trying to control people getting high all through history. It could even be argued we're genetically predisposed to drug use as an evolutionary tool.

but it does smooth out the problems of the criminal just system, and the housing the perps.

Ah. AH! I got it now. I finally understand! Thank you for explaining that to me. As long as I insure absolutely every last tiny item I have, it's all good even if it takes a year or more for me to find a replacement that the insurance is willing to foot at least part of the bill for. If I don't insure something against theft, the guy who wants to steal it from me can take it and all is good in the world even though he's just a thieving snot and I put all the effort into getting it for him including footing the bill. Understood.

BTW, can I send the bill to the local prison for all the locks I own? Seriously, why should I have to pay for locks when the people they are taking care of are the reason I have to have the locks in the first place. I don't even want locks because they're so annoying to deal with. They are the crooks, they should be buying the locks for the rest of us. While I'm at it, I should forward my insurance bill to them since they are the reason I need it in the first place. Fair's fair.

Nevermind. On second thought, where's that steel bar I have laying around here? This whole bad guys are the respected hero's and the good guys deserve to be treated like garbage thing is way out of hand and far beyond completely intolerable.

Last edited:
I can't believe what I'm reading here. Actually, I can. I'd venture to guess that a vast majority of those advocating vigilante justice are the same ones who are sitting around collecting social security.

They simply don't understand the world has changed, or refused to accept it. Then they live in the 1950's world they think is so perfect. That is a part of our country's problem.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Actually, I can. I'd venture to guess that a vast majority of those advocating vigilante justice are the same ones who are sitting around collecting social security.

They simply don't understand the world has changed, or refused to accept it. Then they live in the 1950's world they think is so perfect. That is a part of our country's problem.

What ????:dunno::dunno::dunno:.

Ok, Here's the deal. Post your address here, sign a paper saying you are unarmed and leave the doors to your house and vehicles unlocked and all your valuables on the kitchen table and I will be over tomorrow to clean you out of all your possessions. Of course you won't mind and calling the police on me would not be your style.

Ps. I have paid into Social Security for 41 years now and still have 9 to go before I can collect..... Do you really think there will be any money left by then ?:dunno::no::no::no::mad:.

jus sayin.

1950- My family could leave the keys in our car anywhere, any time, and the house was never locked, didn't matter if any one was home or not.

Yes the world has changed, but it isn't better.

We never heard of a gay senator marrying his dope growing / smoking butt buddy.

Last edited:
1950- My family could leave the keys in our car anywhere, any time, and the house was never locked, didn't matter if any one was home or not.

Yes the world has changed, but it isn't better.

We never heard of a gay senator marrying his dope growing / smoking butt buddy.

So basically you're saying that if someone isn't 100 like you and your ideals, they are a 3rd world citizen? Ah, makes sense now why some of you all want blood for this.

One thing that strikes me as ironic is Colton aka "The Barefoot Bandit" is a household name. Despite all the dis-approval (and vigilante justice) everyone here knew exactly who the thread was referring to. Reality is that most of us will die anonymous to all but a few friends and family. This guy had 60,000 Facebook fans alone while on the run. If he gets out and continues a life of crime (that's my money), he will only become even more famous. Bottom line, something in our culture just loves an outlaw, despite all the talk here.

Don't believe me?

Walk up to anyone on the street and say who is:

Al Capone
John Dillinger
Bonnie and Clyde
Etc.

Now ask them who William Howard Taft is?

They were all prominent in the early 20th Century, so nobody current.

So why can your average Wal-Mart worker recognize all the outlaws?

Making it legal and taxed is so much socially less destructive than making it criminal.

making it legal places it behind the wheel that more often, Would you like to share the freeway with it?

Making it legal and taxed is so much socially less destructive than making it criminal.

Didn't I just hear in the State of the Union that we all needed to do our "fair" share. Put a "user fee" on the drug users, we don't say tax anymore BTW.

Hey punk, that dime bag is going to cost you an extra buck for Uncle Sam.

I like it.

So much simpler, make it free, make it pure, allow the stupid ones to OD.

making it legal places it behind the wheel that more often, Would you like to share the freeway with it?

Not true as the reduction in drunk driving through social training has shown, besides, junkies aren't looking to drive around, they just want to get high and nod to dreams of the Queen Opium. Making it legal in a designated setting helps guide the actions of junkies to that setting. Check out the Swiss program....

Not true as the reduction in drunk driving through social training has shown, besides, junkies aren't looking to drive around, they just want to get high and nod to dreams of the Queen Opium. Making it legal in a designated setting helps guide the actions of junkies to that setting. Check out the Swiss program....
Doesn't sound as if they want any more drug either.

Switzerland
The national drug policy of Switzerland was developed in the early 1990s and comprises the four elements of prevention, therapy, harm reduction and prohibition.[17] In 1994 Switzerland was one of the first countries to try heroin-assisted treatment and other harm reduction measures like supervised injection rooms. In 2008 a popular initiative by the right wing Swiss People's Party aimed at ending the heroin program was rejected by more than two thirds of the voters. A simultaneous initiative aimed at legalizing marijuana was rejected at the same ballot.
[edit]

True, but you gotta have priorities. The airplane's insured. The stuff the big boys are messing with, are not.

Ever heard of a bailout? We pay...

Wrecking 1.4 mil dollars of planes has at least a small effect on our aviation insurance rates. Again, all of us pay.

And i wouldn't give him any credit for his aviation feats, he used 8/9 lives. He's not the damn wright brothers, he flew (and wrecked) certificated equipment and had all the time in the world to study modern instructional materials.

I dont care if his mommy was a POS

Last edited:
I will never get an insurance company to place a hull value on my plane for what I would truly need cover what I've dumped into it to get it like I want it.

Somebody steals it and crashes it I guesstimate that I'm out about 8 grand from the max any insurance company will give me for a hull value. Mag rebuilds, radios, indicators, new gyros, new pitot static instruments, the pain in the ass of getting it all installed... I'd rather have my plane than what the insurance company would pay.

Not to mention the couple of hundred hours I've worked on it over the past few years.

Let me get this right. You won't insure your aircraft because they won't give you a sufficiently large hull value, so if it get crashed or damaged, you don't get the full value. So instead, you don't insure it so when it is crashed or damaged you get nothing.

Ever heard of a bailout? We pay...

Wrecking 1.4 mil dollars of planes has at least a small effect on our aviation insurance rates. Again, all of us pay.

When you pass a car wreck on the freeway do you scream out the window, "Thanks a lot for increasing my insurance a-hole"?

When you pass a car wreck on the freeway do you scream out the window, "Thanks a lot for increasing my insurance a-hole"?

I do whenever I see stunting motorcyclists. Because of them my bike is halfway to uninsurable.

Why on Earth are you condoning theft and property destruction?

Just because an item is insured doesn't mean it's okay to steal or destroy that item. I insure things to protect myself from mother nature and my own follies. If someone else's folly damages me then they should make me whole again.

I think the idea is when we think about the barefoot miscreant and compare him to other felons, we do take into account that those aircraft were largely insured such that the real victims were insurance companies, which most of us dislike anyway.

That is in no way condoning the activity, just putting into comparison with a felon who assaults an innocent, for example. That said, I would have a hard time locking the fellow up and throwing away the key because he wasn't particularly violent. I am however quite gratified to know not only will he have terrible time in prison (show me someone who liked being imprisoned) but when he gets out, his employment prospects will be non existent. Not only does he not have any marketable skills to speak of, he'll have the felony record obviating any substantial career path. He may be able to do something with his notoriety but I doubt it. The American public is fickle and has a short memory for this sort of thing. By the time he's done with prison he'll be long forgotten.

Not unless that person stole and wrecked 1.4 million dollars worth of cars.

I think the idea is when we think about the barefoot miscreant and compare him to other felons, we do take into account that those aircraft were largely insured such that the real victims were insurance companies, which most of us dislike anyway.

That is in no way condoning the activity, just putting into comparison with a felon who assaults an innocent, for example. That said, I would have a hard time locking the fellow up and throwing away the key because he wasn't particularly violent. I am however quite gratified to know not only will he have terrible time in prison (show me someone who liked being imprisoned) but when he gets out, his employment prospects will be non existent. Not only does he not have any marketable skills to speak of, he'll have the felony record obviating any substantial career path. He may be able to do something with his notoriety but I doubt it. The American public is fickle and has a short memory for this sort of thing. By the time he's done with prison he'll be long forgotten.

In todays world anything is possible....

Suppose the bandit gets transferred to Mississippi, serves his time there, and if Haley Barbour gets reelected to Governor, and if he pardons the bandit... Then the friggin thief is out scott free and his felony conviction is wiped off the books and the BS continues...:mad2::mad2:

Stranger things have happened.:yesnod::yesnod::mad:

Ben.

In todays world anything is possible....

Suppose the bandit gets transferred to Mississippi, serves his time there, and if Haley Barbour gets reelected to Governor, and if he pardons the bandit... Then the friggin thief is out scott free and his felony conviction is wiped off the books and the BS continues...:mad2::mad2:

Stranger things have happened.:yesnod::yesnod::mad:

Ben.

America imprisons more than any other nation. The number freed in that incident was small. The odds of any prisoner receiving such treatment are vanishingly small.

That said, California would be the place to be imprisoned. Their prison system is so hopelessly overcrowded that the State Supreme Court has ordered them to rectify the situation. The only solution (since building new prisons takes both time and money, both of which are in short supply in the Golden State) is to release lots of inmates early.

I'm hurt. :cryin: Here I am in my 7th decade and living on a small pension and Social Security (and Medicare which you didn't mention). I gather that in your mind I should have died at some earlier age, before Social Security age? I gather that you believe that society should mandate that all persons beyond a certain age should be killed? Or maybe just those that are not financially independent and not needing Social Security or Medicare? Except of course if their financial fortunes diminish then they get zapped? That certainly would eliminate the problems with Social Security and Medicare.

BTW, I do not advocate vigilante justice and yes, I believe the 50's were better than the 2000's because I was a teenager then and I knew everything. Now I'm old enough to know that I don't know as much as you.

What ????:dunno::dunno::dunno:.

<snip>
Ps. I have paid into Social Security for 41 years now and still have 9 to go before I can collect..... Do you really think there will be any money left by then ?:dunno::no::no::no::mad:.

jus sayin.

I believe that if you do a little research you will find that Social Security will be there for you in 9 years. Social Security, although needing reform for the long haul, is not in bad shape. Now Medicare is a different story.
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/trsum/index.html

Back