Barefoot Bandit Gets 7 Years

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Barefoot Bandit after causing 1.4 million in property damage gets a federal plea deal of 6.5 years. He also got a State prison sentence of 7 years that likely is to run concurrently with the federal deal. I get to vote on the judge who sent him to State prison and I will rember what she did.:confused:

Barefoot Bandit after causing 1.4 million in property damage gets a federal plea deal of 6.5 years. He also got a State prison sentence of 7 years that likely is to run concurrently with the federal deal. I get to vote on the judge who sent him to State prison and I will rember what she did.

I don't know about Washington, but I know that Federal time is less harsh than state time in Massachusetts prisons.

Hopefully, there are other states waiting to prosecute him upon his release.

SEATTLE -- "Barefoot Bandit" Colton Harris-Moore ridiculed police and prosecutors in emails and phone calls from prison recently, undercutting his claims that he's sorry for his two-year crime spree, the U.S. attorney's office said in court documents filed Tuesday.

The 20-year-old, who awaits federal sentencing, referred to Island County Sheriff Mark Brown as the "king swine," called prosecutors who handled his case "fools," and referred to news reporters as "vermin." The self-taught pilot bragged about his two-year crime spree, during which he hopscotched the U.S. in stolen cars, boats and small planes before being captured in the Bahamas in July 2010 a hail of bullets.

"The things I have done as far as flying and airplanes goes, is amazing," he wrote in one email last August. "Nobody on this planet have done what I have, except for the Wright brothers."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25/barefoot-bandit-ridicules-cops_n_1230495.html?ref=crime

Colton, meet my baseball bat.

IOWs he'll be out in 3. looking to go for another free ride.

Shouldn't he have to do the whole thing on the federal time. On the bright side, hopefully he will be spending 6 1/2 years as bubba knob polisher. I'm not imagining that he will be the husband.

He's being quoted on how good his piloting skills are. Didn't he destroy every plane he touched?

The good news is that his life is over. He's guilty of a felony, and will not be eligible for employment in most places. After a few years I imagine his notoriety will have faded quite a bit, except for the people from whom he stole. I imagine there is more than one of those who would happily give some extra work to their baseball bat (or chainsaw, or...).

I am in NO WAY condoning the actions of this kid, But he sure had a pitful and sad upbringing and homelife. Most likely attributed to his actions.

I am in NO WAY condoning the actions of this kid, But he sure had a pitful and sad upbringing and homelife. Most likely attributed to his actions.

Many ghetto street kids that grew up in worse conditions than he did and made their way OK with out stealing and ruining others lives.

I do not feel sorry for this guy, he made his own decisions. and there are public services that would have helped him.

I'm not sure why this kid gets so much hate from this group. He wasn't violent, he's never been accused of hurting anyone, he stole some things. Even then it wasn't like he was using all the cars, boats, and planes to run drugs. He was basically just out joy ridding.

Maybe the pilots get worked up because of the aircraft he stole, but you still have to give him some credit. He read, watched some videos, etc. and went out and started flying. Not only that, he successfully dead sticked a couple in at night and walked away. That notion alone makes a lot of experienced pilots weak in the knees.

Now he'll have to pay the price just like he should, end of story in my mind.

BTW- Those suggesting beating the kid with a bat, if you want to start some vigilante justice why start with him? How about all the real criminals (dope dealers, rapist, murders, etc.) that live right around you. Or if you're a big game hunter, there's always Washington D.C.:)

A guy who stole 110 bucks from me just finished 18 months in county lockup. This kid stole 1.4mil of property and will be out in 5 years. Time for more crooks to move to washington state.

I wish the bahamian authorities had kept him until he served out his time for whatever he did there before extraditing him.

I'm not sure why this kid gets so much hate from this group. He wasn't violent, he's never been accused of hurting anyone, he stole some things. Even then it wasn't like he was using all the cars, boats, and planes to run drugs. He was basically just out joy ridding.

Have you ever put a lot of time and effort and determination into getting something for yourself that you really want or need for years then once you finally have it some idiot snot comes along and steals it or tears the living crap out of it and leaves you standing there with nothing? I'm guessing you haven't. Try it sometime, it's not as much fun as you think it is. (Yea, BTDT several times and it's not funny in the least)

Other people's property do not belong to him and he has, or should not have, any right to other people's stuff. If the kid wants an airplane he can go to work, bust his rear like the rest of us and buy one for himself. If he doesn't want to own one, he can take lessons and rent like most pilots do. If he doesn't want to do that, he can go play flight simulator in his basement all day long or get a toy airplane and make airplane engine noises as he runs around his backyard with it in his hand.

Maybe the pilots get worked up because of the aircraft he stole, but you still have to give him some credit.

No we don't. What's next? Give the terrorists credit and respect for knocking a few buildings down in the city? The kid is a punk thief. He deserves no respect at all.

Exactly how is he going to pay back those owners for the $1.4M in stolen/destroyed properly? He's not going to walk up to their door and hand them a bag full of money or the keys to a new replacement vehicle. His little time in the slammer exempts him from having to actually pay it back.
Even if he paid up or even doubled the payment and gave them all a new airplane/car/whatever, this isn't really about the money.

There are no ethical issues about using a bat on him. He's damned lucky someone didn't shoot him at some point during his little self centered happy world thieving nonsense. It won't phase me in the least if someone brains him with something at some point.

No respect, no sympathy.

Maybe the pilots get worked up because of the aircraft he stole, but you still have to give him some credit. He read, watched some videos, etc. and went out and started flying. Not only that, he successfully dead sticked a couple in at night and walked away. That notion alone makes a lot of experienced pilots weak in the knees.

The "poor kid" did $1,400,000 in property damage and thinks he's still cool and clever and above even really feeling sorry about it.

How much would he have to steal to be a big time criminal?

Oh. Don't worry. He'll work on that when he gets out.

There are prisoners with drug possession convictions and for robbery of $500 that are doing more time.

Barefoot Bandit has done far less damage to people than Congress or Bankers. Don't like the kid or his attitude, but he's small potatoes.

Barefoot Bandit has done far less damage to people than Congress or Bankers. Don't like the kid or his attitude, but he's small potatoes.

One bigger wrong doesn't make a relatively smaller wrong less wrong.

The good news is that his life is over. He's guilty of a felony, and will not be eligible for employment in most places. After a few years I imagine his notoriety will have faded quite a bit, except for the people from whom he stole. I imagine there is more than one of those who would happily give some extra work to their baseball bat (or chainsaw, or...).

His life was over before it began with a mother like that...

BTW, What more than 7 years was anyone expecting? Are you all insane? A non violent offender? Sorry, don't have the money to waste on him since we do so well keeping the prisons full of gangbangers by perpetuating 'the war on drugs'.

Have you ever put a lot of time and effort and determination into getting something for yourself that you really want or need for years then once you finally have it some idiot snot comes along and steals it or tears the living crap out of it and leaves you standing there with nothing? I'm guessing you haven't. Try it sometime, it's not as much fun as you think it is. (Yea, BTDT several times and it's not funny in the least)

Other people's property do not belong to him and he has, or should not have, any right to other people's stuff. If the kid wants an airplane he can go to work, bust his rear like the rest of us and buy one for himself. If he doesn't want to own one, he can take lessons and rent like most pilots do. If he doesn't want to do that, he can go play flight simulator in his basement all day long or get a toy airplane and make airplane engine noises as he runs around his backyard with it in his hand.

No we don't. What's next? Give the terrorists credit and respect for knocking a few buildings down in the city? The kid is a punk thief. He deserves no respect at all.

Exactly how is he going to pay back those owners for the $1.4M in stolen/destroyed properly? He's not going to walk up to their door and hand them a bag full of money or the keys to a new replacement vehicle. His little time in the slammer exempts him from having to actually pay it back.
Even if he paid up or even doubled the payment and gave them all a new airplane/car/whatever, this isn't really about the money.

There are no ethical issues about using a bat on him. He's damned lucky someone didn't shoot him at some point during his little self centered happy world thieving nonsense. It won't phase me in the least if someone brains him with something at some point.

No respect, no sympathy.

He actually has a chance to pay it back with all the movie and book rights. If you want to get worked up here are some statistics:

Average time served sexual assault: 35 months
Average time served homicide: 71 months
Average time served rape: 65 months
Average time served kidnapping: 52 months

Any one of those crimes does irreparable damage to the victims and their families. I would never compare that to losing an insured airplane, boat, or car.

BTW- 84 months is no light sentence even if he served half.

We have 2.3 Million adults incarcerated in the U.S. do you have any idea what that cost? It has to be a matter of priorities and attempting to turn around those that can be vs. turning some mis-guided, poorly raised kid, into a no hope hardened criminal so we can all pay to lock him up for the rest of his life.

By your logic why don't we just line up anyone convicted of a felony and get it over with. We could create an export market for their organs. There are countries that do this, but what would that say about us?

True, but you gotta have priorities. The airplane's insured. The stuff the big boys are messing with, are not.

'It's all insured, we aren't really stealing from anyone' is what the tort lawyers claim as excuse for their doings as well.

Because I choose to insure the risk still doesn't give anyone else the right to to take my stuff.

Average time served sexual assault: 35 months
Average time served homicide: 71 months
Average time served rape: 65 months
Average time served kidnapping: 52 months

Any one of those crimes does irreparable damage to the victims and their families. I would never compare that to losing an insured airplane, boat, or car.

Not sure where that mentality comes from that if it's an insured risk it is not really someones stuff and free for the taking.

If those numbers above are correct (do you have a citation?), they simply illustrate that we dont put people away long enough who committ violent acts.

We have 2.3 Million adults incarcerated in the U.S. do you have any idea what that cost?
On one hand we have too many of the wrong people and not enough of the right people in prison.

It has to be a matter of priorities and attempting to turn around those that can be vs. turning some mis-guided, poorly raised kid, into a no hope hardened criminal so we can all pay to lock him up for the rest of his life.

That kid was turned into a hardenend criminal by his idiot mother, never had a chance in life.

On one hand we have too many of the wrong people and not enough of the right people in prison.

Well, that gutless coward in prison is certainly one of the right people to have in there.

Well, that gutless coward in prison is certainly one of the right people to have in there.

Of all the things you could choose to call Colton, gutless coward is about the least fitting. Most people don't have the guts to check themselves out in a new type solo, much less teach themselves to fly....

'It's all insured, we aren't really stealing from anyone' is what the tort lawyers claim as excuse for their doings as well.

Because I choose to insure the risk still doesn't give anyone else the right to to take my stuff.

I agree.... I can assure you that if he stole my plane his smallest problem would be jail time.... Once he got out I would make his life HELL, for a few hours anyway... Then we will get to see how he goes through life with no hands and eyes burned out by acid...:mad::mad::mad::wink2:...

Not sure where that mentality comes from that if it's an insured risk it is not really someones stuff and free for the taking.

Of course not, I never said or implied that, be reasonable. What I did say is that his crimes didn't compare to violent crimes against others.

If those numbers above are correct (do you have a citation?), they simply illustrate that we dont put people away long enough who committ violent acts.

I was doing some research on something else last night and happened across this: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dope/etc/match.html

Take the survey yourself, it's shocking.

That kid was turned into a hardenend criminal by his idiot mother, never had a chance in life.

That's the attitude we have to change IMO. You can't pick your parents and you don't need a license to breed. We have to find a way to change the course of these kids lives into something productive. Branding him a felon in this country, is throwing him away in a long very costly way. Have you ever considered that there are powerful big business interests in propagating this tough on crime, lock-em up and throw away the key mentality? Research private prisons in America. Why not have the equivalent of the foreign legion or some other way for this kid to come back. Putting him in gladiator academy is just going to have predictable results.

I agree with both those statements. In light of that, as a Stoic who agrees with Christ's ethic, I believe that prison is the incorrect placement for this instance. The God of Abraham at least under the Christian ethos would find this as evil.

I agree.... I can assure you that if he stole my plane his smallest problem would be jail time.... Once he got out I would make his life HELL, for a few hours anyway... Then we will get to see how he goes through life with no hands and eyes burned out by acid...:mad::mad::mad::wink2:...

I believe Iran has an opening for a minister of justice. Don't be surprised if you get a call.:)

I think the thing that bothers most people is that he stole to thumb his nose at everyone and he doesn't appear to show any remorse or inclination to reform.

I think the thing that bothers most people is that he stole to thumb his nose at everyone and he doesn't appear to show any remorse or inclination to reform.

Agreed. It may be just an attempt to build up his street cred. as a bad ass. He's in the booty house now, and that means a hell of a lot more than whatever we might think.

Of course not, I never said or implied that, be reasonable. What I did say is that his crimes didn't compare to violent crimes against others.

You used the fact that at least some of the risks were insured as a factor to downplay the severity of his actions.

Stealing a plane is the same as rustling cattle. In a different time with different economic priorities this was treated similar to a violent crime in the severity of punishment.

I was doing some research on something else last night and happened across this: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dope/etc/match.html

Take the survey yourself, it's shocking.

Shocking is how the 'war on addicts' and the need to stamp out prostitution has twisted the priorities of law enforcement and the courts.

That's the attitude we have to change IMO. You can't pick your parents and you don't need a license to breed. We have to find a way to change the course of these kids lives into something productive.

This kid had been in and out of juvi a couple of times. If you have parents like him, you dont need enemies. There is only so much the educational and juvenile justice system can do to fix someone who was on the wrong path since age 10.

Branding him a felon in this country, is throwing him away in a long very costly way.

If he is out his cost to society is higher than when he is in. Who knows, maybe a couple of years in the pen is going to give the wiring in his brain time to mature.

Have you ever considered that there are powerful big business interests in propagating this tough on crime, lock-em up and throw away the key mentality?

Sure, the prison industrial complex.

But for the most part, criminals get locked up because the good people who work for a living want it that way.

Agreed. It may be just an attempt to build up his street cred. as a bad ass. He's in the booty house now, and that means a hell of a lot more than whatever we might think.

He's 6'5 and wrestles grizzly bears over dinner, me thinks his time in prison will not have too many interpersonal difficulties especially since his exploits would have him an inside hero with no natural predators.

The kid thought he had nothing to lose. Or more accurately, more to gain than to lose by stealing and having a "life" than living his own.

How many years did the AIG executives get in prison, again?

They also utilized the same logic.

They just had a lot more people involved in their scam.

Enough that when push came to shove, the powerful ones in Washington decreed that AIG and friends were "too big to fail" and announced that we all get to pay for their tactics.

One goes to prison, the others keep their million dollar bonuses, as long as they keep the money flowing toward their friends and out of everyone else's pockets.

You used the fact that at least some of the risks were insured as a factor to downplay the severity of his actions.

Stealing a plane is the same as rustling cattle. In a different time with different economic priorities this was treated similar to a violent crime in the severity of punishment.

Fair point, I'll have to take that one. Insurance is a good thing and in this case didn't mean the financial ruin of any individual. Otherwise we'd have gun fights in the street over a dented 79' Corolla.

I like to think we've progressed (a little) from the 1800's, but I am still in no way condoning his actions or suggesting he gets a walk.

This kid had been in and out of juvi a couple of times. If you have parents like him, you dont need enemies. There is only so much the educational and juvenile justice system can do to fix someone who was on the wrong path since age 10.

If he is out his cost to society is higher than when he is in. Who knows, maybe a couple of years in the pen is going to give the wiring in his brain time to mature.

61% of Felons are repeat offenders. The term rehabilitation is a joke as is the juvenile justice system. Just on the percentages they are getting an F- despite the amounts of money being thrown at them. I still believe we need better answers.

Assuming he serves full term, he has 2,555 nights as a young, relatively small, good looking, non-violent, kid with his dance card full. I'm not sure that's going to produce a mature, rational, ready to contribute to society brain.

Sure, the prison industrial complex.

But for the most part, criminals get locked up because the good people who work for a living want it that way.

Agreed. One hell of a business. Why didn't I think of that?

Theft in Iran is almost non existent.........

Care to guess why ???:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::)

They have nothing to steal for the most part. Heroin addiction is Higher in Iran than anywhere else on earth, care to guess why? (hint, it's not because it is legally tolerated).

Exactly, now let's explore why that is and we get at the issue, fear. We fear odds that would have us all regularly winning lottery hits and allow that to restrict the way we live our lives and spend our money. We waste our entire economy on the farce we call security and criminal justice and we have neither security or justice.

Assuming he serves full term, he has 2,555 nights as a young, relatively small, good looking, non-violent, kid with his dance card full. I'm not sure that's going to produce a mature, rational, ready to contribute to society brain.

The 'kid' is 6'5'' and was armed with a handgun when he got arrested, he'll do fine.

Back