Barefoot Bandit gets $1 million

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
A Hollywood studio has paid more than $1 million to Colton Harris-Moore, the infamous “Barefoot Bandit.”
The studio, 20th Century Fox, has paid the money in exchange for the rights to Harris-Moore’s story.

IIRC the terms of his plea deal prevent him from actually getting the money until restitution is paid.

I wouldn't pay to watch it as I don't want to enrich someone who got his fame from being a criminal, especially one who stole and crashed airplanes.

I don't even see the mass appeal to the story. They would have to manufacture plot points like the Airplane Repo TV show.

Stand by for much Artistic liberties

Not interested in that movie and he should not be paid for his crimes. But then how many other crime movies out there paid the criminals?

David

You guys are just jealous cause he is a more successful Cirrus pilot then most.:lol: He didn't die or use the parachute he is a hero.:yes:

I can pirate the movie and not feel bad about it.

I bet there will be 15 minutes of airplane stuff, his psychotic mother, that would be the interesting to see how big of a roll she plays. I wonder who they'll have play his love interest that s trying to save him from his mother. :lol:

IIRC the terms of his plea deal prevent him from actually getting the money until restitution is paid.

This.

Plus there was a law passed years ago stating something about a criminal cannot profit from movie or book sales about his crimes.

Like OJ tried to do with his book, all that money went to pay off the survivors of those he didn't murder but was responsible for the death of.

I'll watch it. He wasn't some ordinary thief. What he did, although wrong, was impressive.

This.

Plus there was a law passed years ago stating something about a criminal cannot profit from movie or book sales about his crimes.

Like OJ tried to do with his book, all that money went to pay off the survivors of those he didn't murder but was responsible for the death of.

I think there are some limits that have been imposed on that statute (due to high profile Wall Street felons selling their story) and since I don't recall him killing anyone or similar that he may get around that, once restitution is complete. Thing is the publisher/producer shouldn't get a dime until restition is clear, and restitution comes off the top before it gets divied.

Y'all ever read his life story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colton_Harris-Moore

It is incredible. I actually feel kinda bad for him and hope he can turn things around. The kid is brilliant and ambitious and really overcame a lot.

If he is truly brilliant and ambitious he would have found a better way to turn things around already. There is no excuse for such bad and reckless behavior.

This.

I guess he actually agreed to forfeit any profits from his life story though it seems that his mother sued the author of a book about him for those rights.

If he is truly brilliant and ambitious he would have found a better way to turn things around already. There is no excuse for such bad and reckless behavior.

Tell that to the founding fathers. How dare they disobey the crown. Reckless behavior drives humanity forward, and chicks dig bad behavior(which also drives humanity forward;).)

I guess he actually agreed to forfeit any profits from his life story though it seems that his mother sued the author of a book about him for those rights.

The most recent payment — $900,000 — was processed by the U.S. Marshals Service on Nov. 4, according to documents filed in U.S. District Court in Seattle.
The studio previously paid more than $216,000 on Harris-Moore’s behalf. That’s all in keeping with a January 2013 forfeiture order approved by U.S. District Judge Richard Jones.

If this helps to have the victims made whole, I have no problem with it.

He was convicted in 2012 and has been in jail since 2010. He received 7.5 years state and 6.5 years federal running concurrently. He should be out within a year or so. This kid was really burdened with terrible parents. He seems to be smart, I hope he managed to get some training/education while locked up and can turn a corner.

He was convicted in 2012 and has been in jail since 2010. He received 7.5 years state and 6.5 years federal running concurrently. He should be out within a year or so. This kid was really burdened with terrible parents. He seems to be smart, I hope he managed to get some training/education while locked up and can turn a corner.

Yep... he probably learned how to not get caught.

> "You guys are just jealous cause he is a more successful Cirrus pilot then most . . ."

My memory tells me he stole a Columbia, or whatever they called it before they called it the Columbia.

In fact, he told Miss Vaughnique Toote of ZNS Broadcasting in Nassau that he had considered a Cirrus but felt they were far too "ordinary." "Might as well steal a ****in' Cessna 172." he is reported as saying.

The victims were made whole by their insurance companies, this it to pay back the insurance.

Jeez it isn't like he shot up a Christmas party for some unmentionable reason. Stealing little planes is not much of a crime against society.

Maybe you wouldn't feel that way if it was your plane he stole and wrecked.

Maybe you wouldn't feel that way if it was your plane he stole and wrecked.

Compared to 14 dead? He stole nice airplanes(insured) and burglarized vacation homes. Big deal.

The victims were made whole by their insurance companies, this it to pay back the insurance.

I know for a fact if someone steals my plane I built.... and crashes it for fun.. No insurance company can pay me enough to compensate my personal loss...
There are some things money CANNOT buy...:no::no:

Compared to 14 dead? He stole nice airplanes(insured) and burglarized vacation homes. Big deal.

Yes some terrorist or thug killing 14 people is much worse, no one will argue that but that does not lessen what this little ******** did. You can't excuse criminal behavior by saying "well at least he didn't kill anybody" or "his daddy was a POS". You should know better.

Yes some terrorist or thug killing 14 people is much worse, no one will argue that but that does not lessen what this little ******** did. You can't excuse criminal behavior by saying "well at least he didn't kill anybody" or "his daddy was a POS". You should know better.

Not excusing the behavior, just pointing out that it isn't a big deal. Airplane theft rape.

I'll watch it. He wasn't some ordinary thief. What he did, although wrong, was impressive.

Thinking a little deeper into this: yes, it is impressive that he learned to fly airplanes from watching a DVD. And that affects us (pilots) greatly.
Can you imagine the ramifications should this be one of the key points of the movie? "We don't need pilots, anybody can fly a plane after reading a book or watching some YouTube videos", the Hollywood hacks would tell us.

Some where not made whole.

Gardiner noted that the insurance payoff for his wrecked Cessna, an airplane he relies on for his cattle business, did not cover taxes, insurance deductibles, and other costs, leaving him out thousands.

Some where not made whole.

Gardiner noted that the insurance payoff for his wrecked Cessna, an airplane he relies on for his cattle business, did not cover taxes, insurance deductibles, and other costs, leaving him out thousands.

Which is the same fate people suffer everyday in motor vehicle accidents involving unlicensed and uninsured youths. Actually the Bandit victims got off easier as there is often physical injury or pain from a MVA.

Thinking a little deeper into this: yes, it is impressive that he learned to fly airplanes from watching a DVD. And that affects us (pilots) greatly.
Can you imagine the ramifications should this be one of the key points of the movie? "We don't need pilots, anybody can fly a plane after reading a book or watching some YouTube videos", the Hollywood hacks would tell us.

So? Not that far from the truth.

Which is the same fate people suffer everyday in motor vehicle accidents involving unlicensed and uninsured youths. Actually the Bandit victims got off easier as there is often physical injury or pain from a MVA.

Still, just because insurance picked up some of the damage, it does not make it a victimless crime.

But yes, he didn't injure anyone and now his victims will be compensated. In 'crimes of the century' stats, he is probably one of the smaller players.

I just want to point out two things.

1) "You should know better". How? If you were raised by dirtbags how on earth would you know better.

2) "You can't excuse criminal behavior" And yet we do this *every* day. This is why judges are given latitude in sentencing. They hear not just the crime that was committed, but what led up to it. Someone who has been convicted multiple times gets a harsher sentence. Someone who has never before been convicted and came from a ****ty background gets a lesser sentence. This seems right.

As for this kid. Serving his jail sentence and making everyone whole before he gets a nickel seems fair, and that seems to be what's happening.

I know for a fact if someone steals my plane I built.... and crashes it for fun.. No insurance company can pay me enough to compensate my personal loss...
There are some things money CANNOT buy...:no::no:

Yep, too bad, sometimes life sucks. If you didn't get shot in the face or the balls, you didn't lose much of value.

Back