Ball Caps - the "Hip-Hop" Look

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So often seen in concert with baggy pants with the crotch hanging down around the knees, ball caps with a giant bill, razor-straight, mostly worn in a carefully-arranged off-kilter style.

I often have the urge to approach the wearer, take the hat and say, "here, let me help you with that," while bending the bill to a nice, well-crafted arc.

In so doing, I guess I'd be crushing the spirit of a home boy from the mean streets of north Dallas.

So often seen in concert with baggy pants with the crotch hanging down around the knees, ball caps with a giant bill, razor-straight, mostly worn in a carefully-arranged off-kilter style.

I often have the urge to approach the wearer, take the hat and say, "here, let me help you with that," while bending the bill to a nice, well-crafted arc.

In so doing, I guess I'd be crushing the spirit of a home boy from the mean streets of north Dallas.

Don't mess with the lidz

:yesnod: Yep, not sure whats worse that crooked hat, pants hanging low, boxers exposed or grabbing their crotch all the time. I think they sell something over the counter to cure that. ( I should add I watched the View, hey I was in the hospital with my Bride, and Bieber walked out on stage)

When I coached baseball hats were straight, facing the right direction. Unless you were catching it best not be on your brain bucket backwards. I guess I'm an old fart.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
While you are at it, bend the bill into shape and remove the sticker on the bill. The bills must be flat and the round stickers must be left on the cap for it to be an approved hip-hop hat.

This week I saw a wannabe maybe 13 years old wearing a pair of jeans normally that had an extra waistband sewed on at groin level, so that the kid would pass his mother's inspection but look hip-hop at the same time! Really....

-Skip

Yeah I don't get that whole look... I feel much more comfortable and well dressed in jeans and a t-shirt or button down.

Me wearing a ball cap inside out with the bill pointing back and up is a signal to my employees that I'm having a stressful day and am trying to inject some levity into my situation.

Or I'm just in a very strange mood.

Yeah I don't get that whole look... I feel much more comfortable and well dressed in jeans and a t-shirt or button down.
And if the gansta needs to be runnin from the po-po, how he gonna do it with his pants around his ankles?

It cracks me up to see guys wearing price tags and official stickers on their hats. Mini Pearl was ahead of her time. ;)

I consider the look to be truth in advertising. If you haven't got a lick of sense, it's only fair to let others know. Otherwise they might rely on you for something. Like being out of bed before 5:00 PM.

It cracks me up to see guys wearing price tags and official stickers on their hats. Mini Pearl was ahead of her time. ;)
Wonder if any of the ganstahs have figured that out?

One of Minnie Pearl's one liners: "The doctor must have put my pacemaker in wrong. Every time my husband kisses me, the garage door goes up."

:rofl:
Reminds me of the old Bill Cosby bit about the "tough kids" from his childhood in Philly: "You know, hat on sideways, pants on backwards... just rebelling against everything..." :D
The weirdest recent fad I have seen along these lines is guys with the pants pulled down below their butt, but the belt tight. :dunno:
I get that no shoelaces or no belt means "I just broke out of jail and I've been too busy ballin' to buy a belt or shoelaces", but what does the "tushy on display" thing mean? :confused:

When I was a kid, there were definitely important fashion things specific to my peer group, and it was kinda silly in retrospect, but at least when you're wearing a wife-beater with an open gauze cowboy shirt over it, ripped jeans, hair covering your face, and beat-up Chuck Taylors, you have some dignity... and you can run if you have to. :D

This thread should be merged with the concealed carry thread.

And if the gansta needs to be runnin from the po-po, how he gonna do it with his pants around his ankles?

He aint. And that's why the cops love the look. They don't have to run fast or anything - the kids will trip up by themselves & the cops can saunter over.

I get that no shoelaces or no belt means "I just broke out of jail and I've been too busy ballin' to buy a belt or shoelaces", but what does the "tushy on display" thing mean? :confused:
It means "I miss my friends from jail". :wink2::eek:

Okay this thread got me thinking. It is apparent that many people on here lack basic urban ghetto knowledge. To that end I've put together a little quiz for you alls to test your urban savvy.

1. A black man approaches you and says in a quiet voice "Check it yo, I've got some phat assed killa." He means:

a) I have an overweight hit man availabe for hire.
b) I have some top grade marijuana for sale.
c) Please call the police, someone is trying to kill me.

2. You approach Jamaal the pimp in front of his customized metallic chartreus Mercedes. He says to you "First up, check the blades on the benz." You proceed to:

a) Place all of your knives on the hood of his car.
b) Investigate an automotive cooling system issue.
c) Express admiration for his rims.

3. Yolanda, Jonesha and Latifa walk by. You say to your home boy:

a) "Them stank hoes gots ass for days!"
b) "Those poor girls really need to get more exercise."
c) "I wonder if they have boyfriends."

4. Match the following East Bay rappers with the symbolic messages below: E40, Spice 1 and Too $hort

a) Killing g's with a gat__________
b) Denegrating women__________
c) Dealing dope________________

5. You are walking down a street in North Oakland (I know you wouldn't, but let's say you are) and a man tells you he'll sell you a grill. The significance is:

a) George Foreman, like many aging athletes with an underprivileged upbringing, became destitute and is desparate for money.
b) The local Wal Mart got knocked off last week.
c) A local enterpraneur discovered a way to unload outdated niche jewelry items with limited value - sell it to the white folks driving through this part of town to get their "cultural experience."

I am afraid I score a zero, as I have not the faintest clue where to start.

I am afraid I score a zero, as I have not the faintest clue where to start.

Neither do I:mad:..... I never did well on ghetto stereotype quizzes. I was too busy studying aviation and electronics as I was growing up, and I kept my pants up at all times:rofl:

Last edited:
Okay this thread got me thinking. It is apparent that many people on here lack basic urban ghetto knowledge. To that end I've put together a little quiz for you alls to test your urban savvy.

1. A black man approaches you and says in a quiet voice "Check it yo, I've got some phat assed killa." He means:

2. You approach Jamaal the pimp in front of his customized metallic chartreus Mercedes. He says to you "First up, check the blades on the benz." You proceed to:

4. Match the following East Bay rappers with the symbolic messages below: E40, Spice 1 and Too $hort

5. You are walking down a street in North Oakland (I know you wouldn't, but let's say you are) and a man tells you he'll sell you a grill. The significance is:

a) George Foreman, like many aging athletes with an underprivileged upbringing, became destitute and is desparate for money.
c) A local enterpraneur discovered a way to unload outdated niche jewelry items with limited value - sell it to the white folks driving through this part of town to get their "cultural experience."

1. b
2. c
3. a
4. I have no idea.
5. c

I'm just guessing, so I'm hoping for at least 50%. I believe that is a passing grade in some inner-city schools. :D

Racist, tasteless drivel is best saved for private conversations.

One man's opinion. :dunno:

Racist, tasteless drivel is best saved for private conversations.

One man's opinion. :dunno:

FWIW, the motivation for my post was a teenaged, red-headed white guy. Ridiculous clothing choices are not the exclusive province of any race, gender or national origin.

Speaking of stupid looking headwear, whazzup wit' the ball cap being so big that they pull it down over their ears? Really? If your ears are cold, pull on a Red Green bomber hat or something with ear flaps, eh?

Last edited:
Low, baggy pants and crooked caps. Sure a lot sillier than the extreme bell-bottoms, crepe shirts, beads and long hair we all wore in the '60s and '70s, right?:wink2:

I had a huge mop of red hair that reached my shoulders and took a long time to clean and comb and was hotter than blazes in the summer, but fashion demanded it. Older folks thought it was all really stupid and ugly.

Now we are the older folks.

Dan

Not all of us were Hippie freaks. Speak for yourself.

:D

Not all of us were Hippie freaks. Speak for yourself.

:D

I wasn't a hippie freak, either. Not many of us were, but the fashions trickled down throughout the whole generation.

Dan

Low, baggy pants and crooked caps. Sure a lot sillier than the extreme bell-bottoms, crepe shirts, beads and long hair we all wore in the '60s and '70s, right?:wink2:

I had a huge mop of red hair that reached my shoulders and took a long time to clean and comb and was hotter than blazes in the summer, but fashion demanded it. Older folks thought it was all really stupid and ugly.

Now we are the older folks.

Dan

I wore bell-bottoms, and had hair so long I needed a headband to keep it out of my face. I looked ridiculous.

But, I did not show my backside, and I could run if needed without the pats falling off!

Very, very few people I knew in High School or college dressed anywhere, remotely near that. Maybe flared pants here or there, but no beads, no shoulder length hair (very rare) or other styles that were most definitely associated with the fringe.

FWIW, the motivation for my post was a teenaged, red-headed white guy. Ridiculous clothing choices are not the exclusive province of any race, gender or national origin.

Or age. Some kid somewhere is making fun of your PING cap as we speak. ;)

Q: How do we get more young people into aviation?

A: Dress them like they are 75 years old.:goofy:

My boyz and me we luz skymachines but them old folkz alwayz running and hidin' from uz when we at the airport. Howz we gonna learn to aviate?

true, but yours wasn't the only post in this thread, and some of the others... :eek:

The answer is b). The leading question, while on the surface sounds racist, is not. Hispanic, Asian and caucasion drug dealers would each have a different tag line. I would have bothered to put in appropriate questions for each in an equal share basis, except that I do not happen to be overly bothered with the concept of political correctness.

The answer is c). Blades are synonymous with rims. For whatever reason, pimps, even to this day, are enamored with large, oversized car rims and hydraulics much akin to heyday back in the mid '70's.

The answer is a). Here's the thing - in the ghetto, you NEVER give a woman any credit, certainly not in front of your enemies, and even not in front of your homies. You might beg for a little forgiveness and understanding in private with no one watching, but that's how it goes.

b) Too $hort is the rapper from Oakland notorious for his songs about temporary and non-serious relationships. His world view on marriage and family differs from the traditional Western model.

a) Spice 1 was "discovered" by Too $hort, also a product of the Oakland rap scene. His thing is the enforcement end of ghetto thug life. Has he actually committed homicide with a nine millimeter? Probably not, his parents were probably middle class State workers and he probably attended Sunday school.

c) E40 is from right across the bay from Oakland, from V-Town (Vallejo). His thing is the business end of ghetto life style, as in dealing dope. Has he ever dealt dope? Probably. Has he ever smoked it? Look at him, he weighs over 300 lbs. Damn right.

c). Grills were a big thing back in the mid 80's and early 90's. They are a mettalic grid, typically studded with diamonds and constructed of gold or silver, that covers the front teeth. This form of jewelry is now considered passe, and holders of such are left with the value of the low karat gold and semi precious stones that comprise these behemoths.

(Hand to forehead, shaking head...)

ROFL. That was great, Sac. I knew all but the rapper list.

Hang out in any online forum about the GMC Yukon and you'll see 40 or 50 white guys all working their butts off to lower them so they can't get over a speed bump, and putting oversized wheels and tires about an inch thick on them. About $2000 in wheels and tires seems typical.

The rest of the threads will be about giant stereo systems with enough subwoofers to shake a stadium, and replacing interior lights with colored LEDs.

(The LED threads are fun when some idiot doesn't understand why he needs a resistor inline with his LEDs to make them work. You should see these geniuses discuss Ohm's Law.)

Me, I mostly read for a chuckle at the photos of yet another good 4x4 ruined and the few people who *really* utilize the vehicle off-road and what gear they're using. We're completely outnumbered by the Suburban Gangsta's. Ha. (No pun intended... The Chevy/GMC Suburban aren't as popular for this as the Tahoe and Yukon.)

I'm also still looking for the perfect HID light set and then I'll do the "high-beam mod" which leaves the low-beams active (via a simple diode in the fusebox) when the highs are on... I like a lot of light when I need it. ;)

And no offense Spike and Jay but Texas is full of 2WD Yukons and Tahoes. WTF!? That's not a real truck! Something wrong with you people! :D :D :D

By the way, the Tahoe is far more likely to fall prey to this lowered truck retardedness than the Yukon, since Tahoe is shortened to 'Hoe' by the wanna-be gangsta white boys and 'Yuk' or 'Kon' just isn't the image they're looking for.

The Chevy versions also seem to get "debadged" or "blacked out" and messed with more than the GMC branded identical trucks.

"They see me mowin', my front lawn, I know that in their hearts they think I'm just too White and Nerdy..." - Weird Al Yankovik

;) ;) ;)

Guess I'll just stick with my nerdy white molded fenders, pinstripes, and factory 17" wheels. Sigh. No gangsta truck for me. Maybe it's finally time to drill some holes in it, install some real antennas, and buy that cop-shop radio console so I have room to mount all the 2-way radio gear in the console too. Haha.

At least the subwoofer fanboys have put up some decent photos of where to run 8-gauge through the firewall. Voltage drop when the 100W HF rig is keyed on CW?! Hell no.

Gotta get the Instrument done first. Then time to work on the truck again. Plus it's too cold out at night right now.

Texas is also full of people who like to put a lift on their trucks and destroy any utility that it has. Those people are compensating for something.

Back