Baggage Handling - American Airlines

e339bb45d51a4f605bec6a6ba67a93233dcead8fc30dc6996ac4f8c111e1d0c5.jpg

The older 747s like United has, the business class seats suck. Yes, they stretch out fully, but end up sloping down to the footwell steep enough that you slide down it and it's tough to get good sleep in it.
Were they like these? This was Delta's 747's a few years ago and AFAIK, they have lie flat seat son all of their widebodies now. I had this entire 747 to myself actually. It was weird being the only passenger.

uppdeck_zps2a881fef.jpg

Look similar, hard to remember/recognize, I don't fly United anymore, that trip was my last, if they couldn't make me comfortable in business class, forget em.

Dare I use the "U" word here?

Don't you DARE! :rofl:

American and United are in close competition for no leg room. The other day an AMR flight from Miami to somewhere in Europe had to land at Boston because the Air Marshals had to break up a fight over some 61 year old man getting hostile with the guy in front of him for reclining his seat.

I had a United flight from Sydney to LA on a 747 the had me chewing on my kneecaps the whole way. I'll never fly either again until the rest of the airlines catch up in the race to the bottom of customer service and comfort.

Oh yeah, United and American are competing for second place, Spirit has a significant lead in discomfort with all non reclining seats.

I ride UA a lot. Million miler and Premier 1K. Just got back from Gothenburg, Sweden last night. UA Business First on a 767 is nice. 777 almost as nice. The foot space when the seat is reclined isn't as good. Haven't ridden it in a 747. Henning obviously was riding in coach (and I don't mean E+). I haven't had legroom problems on UA (E+ or above). Don't get me started on ANA, however.

Now, UA's baggage folks at SEA should be shot, fired or otherwise removed from the job. Got in last night on a 757 from ORD and it took 35 minutes from the time the plane stopped at the gate until my bag (with the priority handling tag) showed up on the belt. Sorry, but even for UA at SEA that is a long time. Alaska guarantees 20 minutes or less or they owe you something (miles?). I don't think I've ever seen UA do that well at SEA. Before you say, fly Alaska, remember I was in Europe. They don't go there. Nor Hong Kong. Nor Japan. And I've been to both this year. 35 minutes, especially when you are already about an hour late arriving (weather at ORD, not UA's fault), is just unreasonable. All I wanted to do was get my car and go home. This didn't help.

I haven't ridden AA in a number of years. Doesn't sound like I need to change that from what I'm reading here. I'd avoid riding commercial if I could, but it is unavoidable in my work. Oh well...

Last time I rode UA was Business on a 747, I woke up every 15 minutes scrunched into the footwell as the seats lay down flat at an angle.

Check out the difference on a Cathay Pacific flight next time you go to Hong Kong, you won't want to fly UA there again.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone would fly commercially from CHI to STL when it's only a four hour drive. Sure it was Labor Day weekend but, still...

I just can't imagine that it was quicker to fly even if one adds an hour or two for holiday weekend traffic. And the hassles...why?

After 9/11, and when I was still working for others, if I could get somewhere in 8 hours or less then I gave absolutely no consideration to flying commercially. Check out a company vehicle and go.

This was especially true since our airport wasn't a hub and direct flights were rare.

Tim,

To answer your question....

1. I hate driving (it's 6 hours not including holiday traffic from where I live). OSH was 2.5 hours from me driving and that is about my limit in a car. A plane is different.

2. my wife wouldn't fly in a small plane.

3. I needed to relax and not worry about doing the driving or flying myself.

Last time I rode UA was Business on a 747, I woke up every 15 minutes scrunched into the footwell as the seats lay down flat at an angle.

Check out the difference on a Cathay Pacific flight next time you go to Hong Kong, you won't want to fly UA there again.

I've only ridden Cathay Pacific in cattle car, and they are good there. I can only imagine a premium cabin on them.

Back