Bad attitudes

lol I'm just a kid making $14 an hour at a grocery store, you've got no idea man. The things people say and do everyday make this look like nothing worth noting at all.
You make 14/hr at a grocery store?! WTF how'd you swing that? When I worked at a jet center I only made 10/hr. The line manager didn't even make 14/hr.

No chance that the owner was just goofing on you a bit. No chance at all.
I tried to justify his attitude with that thought but his tone, lack of wanting to hear anything else I had to say, and word about him from others at the airport suggests that's not the case.
Well, I could be way off base (and usually am) but I detect just a bit of dual bad attitudes in this transaction.

Jim
How is that?

You make 14/hr at a grocery store?! WTF how'd you swing that? When I worked at a jet center I only made 10/hr. The line manager didn't even make 14/hr.
4 years of working there, full time plus .50 cent premium for working in a freezer. I actually make $13.60 but I rounded up. There is a union debated 10.10 an hour where I work, so it's not as crazy As it sounds. Extra dollar something for full time plus my raises plus the premium. $20.00 an hour on overtime holiday/ overtime isn't bad, but I still have a hard time paying for flying on my wage. I had to get another job, and my dad helps me too, but it's so expensive now.

Damn, I haven't made that much since the 1980's...
It's not as good now as it was back then. I still hardly afford my flying and that's with two jobs and my dads help

Man, this young man didn't say anything to deserve the insults from you. Did the grocery help upset you recently?
Is this directed at me or the other guy? I can't see his posts anymore...

The other guy. You said nothing wrong and I'm perplexed why he attcked you multiple times.
Thank you, first of all. But some people have a hard time at work, in their personal lives and take that out on people on the net. That's all we're seeing here. I don't hold it against him, but I'm not gonna deal with it, I've been going through my flight Instrument training. On top of a full time and another part time job. I'm stressed enough, so I hit ignore and let it slide.

Back to the OP's point.

Yeah, that's hard to explain. Assuming this is "the full story", it sounds like a customer you don't need.

Back to the OP's point.

Yeah, that's hard to explain. Assuming this is "the full story", it sounds like a customer you don't need.
Discovered today the previous A&P IA, Director of Maintenance here left a wrench in the guy's wing that screwed up his fluxgate.

The owner took the plane to an avionics shop a couple hours away; they found the wrench by the fluxgate and had to "degause" the whole airplane. How a wrench causes airframe magnetism and how aluminum get magnetized still puzzles me. Also, how do you degause an entire airplane? Stick welding leads at opposite ends and slowly reduce current?

Maybe this owner thinks we are a bunch of putz mechanics like he has dealt with in the past. That would be a logic reason for his inappropriate outburst.

lol I'm just a kid making $14 an hour at a grocery store, you've got no idea man. The things people say and do everyday make this look like nothing worth noting at all.

Sonny, when I broke into this biz at 13 I was making 35 cents (that's 35 CENTS) an hour working for the local TV shop, sweeping out floors and learning everything I could from the "old" folks working there ... sophomore in high school 1959 ... paying my dues ... taking $#+ from the boss and the customers and letting it run off my shoulders.

By the time I got to college 1961 I had "graduated" to $2.75 an hour with the airlines, paying my dues for four years working the graveyard shift on the weekends in the radio shop learning everything I could about this business.

And when I graduated from college 1967 I was the highest paid graduate in my major -- $720 a month. Working on the space program for $4 an hour as a graduate engineer.

Now I"m doing $80 an hour teaching college and $200 an hour consulting (and turning down business left and right).

Pay your dues, take the $#1+ people give you along the way and figure that it is your way of getting your chops into the system.

JIm

Maybe this owner thinks we are a bunch of putz mechanics like he has dealt with in the past. That would be a logic reason for his inappropriate outburst.

Sounds like it.

If he doesn't trust the shop you are working for, maybe he should take his plane and his attitude somewhere else.

Sounds like it.

If he doesn't trust the shop you are working for, maybe he should take his plane and his attitude somewhere else.
He probably will whenever possible. Yet he bases his plane here. Flies it two states away for annual.

He probably will whenever possible. Yet he bases his plane here. Flies it two states away for annual.

Does your shop have any obligation to work on his plane (e.g. through terms of the lease with the airport) ?

Does your shop have any obligation to work on his plane (e.g. through terms of the lease with the airport) ?
I don't think so. If he really needs something, we will still do it but he won't be on the top of the list.

Simply, we won't seek out his business.

Discovered today the previous A&P IA, Director of Maintenance here left a wrench in the guy's wing that screwed up his fluxgate.

The owner took the plane to an avionics shop a couple hours away; they found the wrench by the fluxgate and had to "degause" the whole airplane. How a wrench causes airframe magnetism and how aluminum get magnetized still puzzles me. Also, how do you degause an entire airplane? Stick welding leads at opposite ends and slowly reduce current?

That's stupid. Demagnetizing was unnecessary. Remove the wrench and carry on. The wrench didn't screw up the fluxgate, it screwed up the Earth's magnetic lines of force (flux lines) and it was close enough to the fluxgate that it sensed it.

Last edited:

There's yer prrroobblem, right there!

Everyone makes mistakes, but that's a bad one. Nothing you can do but apologize, do everything you can to make it right, and look at your shop's tool tracking procedures - might be time to upgrade those.

Found a shop rag in the tail of my Pitts Special once after an annual. I was extremely unhappy.

Sonny, when I broke into this biz at 13 I was making 35 cents (that's 35 CENTS) an hour working for the local TV shop, sweeping out floors and learning everything I could from the "old" folks working there ... sophomore in high school 1959 ... paying my dues ... taking $#+ from the boss and the customers and letting it run off my shoulders.

By the time I got to college 1961 I had "graduated" to $2.75 an hour with the airlines, paying my dues for four years working the graveyard shift on the weekends in the radio shop learning everything I could about this business.

And when I graduated from college 1967 I was the highest paid graduate in my major -- $720 a month. Working on the space program for $4 an hour as a graduate engineer.

Now I"m doing $80 an hour teaching college and $200 an hour consulting (and turning down business left and right).

Pay your dues, take the $#1+ people give you along the way and figure that it is your way of getting your chops into the system.

JIm
When had i ever suggested otherwise?

It isn't a matter of trust, I don't mind if he doesn't completely trust me yet. Being a jerk about me fixing his airplane seems ridiculous.

If I took an airplane in to a maintenance shop and they said, "Hey, I fixed this issue that could have caused a gear up and prop strike," I would respond with, "thank you for finding that." Just puzzles me how he wanted us to fix something then says something completely uncalled for like that.

Instead of getting ****ed, charge an a**hole tax. I used to do it all the time for PITA customers. Don't tell them, just charge more. Mainly did it for slow payers, but had a couple guys I didn't want to deal with, rather than turn them away I just charged what I felt I needed to to put up with the BS. Worked great for me. Either they payed, or they went away. Win/win.

Instead of getting ****ed, charge an a**hole tax. I used to do it all the time for PITA customers. Don't tell them, just charge more. Mainly did it for slow payers, but had a couple guys I didn't want to deal with, rather than turn them away I just charged what I felt I needed to to put up with the BS. Worked great for me. Either they payed, or they went away. Win/win.
That sounds marginally illegal. At the very least Immoral.

Reverse the situation and I'm you're customer, except you're the NEW guy and your now the "go to" A&P for everything. The previous shop I use changed mechanics and ownership and in that time I've had parts broken getting to other parts (avionics), tools left on-board (one was a black hex driver that I didn't see near the rudder peddles - found it after take off when it moved), spent 2 months chasing a problem caused by the incorrect replacement part being installed, instruments not reconnected after repair (multiple times). Just fix it right the first time, and he'll be back. I have to fly to another field for the new mechanic and it's a real PITA.

That sounds marginally illegal. At the very least Immoral.
What laws say you have to charge the same amount for service to different individuals?

Not illegal nor immoral and nothing wrong at all with it unless you are upset because you don't like someone else getting a better deal.

JIm
Isn't what he's doing, working a menial job at a grocery store to pay for flying, the 2017 version of what you did?

Isn't what he's doing, working a menial job at a grocery store to pay for flying, the 2017 version of what you did?
You nailed it, that's exactly what Jim is doing. People like to remember the "good old days" but don't bother to translate/convert that to today. We should laud the kid for actually working so that he contributes to covering his expenses, not lecture him about the way it was 30/40/50 years ago.

That's stupid. Demagnetizing was unnecessary. Remove the wrench and carry on. The wrench didn't screw up the fluxgate, it screwed up the Earth's magnetic lines of force (flux lines) and it was close enough to the fluxgate that it sensed it.

Well, I'm thinking there is more to the story, like the compass system was screwed up to begin with but the wrench messed it up so bad that it actually brought attention to it, even after pulling the wrench it would still be messed up as it was before and so the journey begins.

Its not uncommon to find steel hardware in an access panel that calls for non-magnetic within inches of a flux valve. I've caught that several times on Cessna 650s.

The aircraft I've worked on usually had stencils near the flux valve stating not to use magnetic hardware within X inches of flux valve, so, finding some there was really uncommon.

Back