Bad and well some good news

Good news is, my friend who is the other applicant, passed. By the time he flew the jumpers had gone home and OSH traffic had subsided for some reason.

KOSH closed every day from 1430 to 1800 for the air show. No need to fly north to Ripon during that window.

KOSH closed every day from 1430 to 1800 for the air show. No need to fly north to Ripon during that window.

My ride was in the morning. The guy that did his ride in the afternoon got everything they wanted.

Well got back in the saddle last night. Practiced holds and hand flown ILS approaches with a friend who is a CFII since I didn't have a chance to do an ILS on ride and know I'll have to do one. Decided to change DPE for the reride as the gentleman I selected is only available at 7 am and the plane has to be back for another club member. I'm generally not too sharp at 7 am and can't really function until 9 am. Using IMSAFE and PAVE, decided it wouldn't be a good idea to go at 7 am. Felt good to fly again. Going again tonight. Saturday will be spending all day with my instructor. As an aside, my instructor has been extremely encouraging and keeping my spirits up. I am blessed to have this guy in my corner. Looks like the ride will be Monday.

Well got back in the saddle last night. Practiced holds and hand flown ILS approaches with a friend who is a CFII since I didn't have a chance to do an ILS on ride and know I'll have to do one. Decided to change DPE for the reride as the gentleman I selected is only available at 7 am and the plane has to be back for another club member. I'm generally not too sharp at 7 am and can't really function until 9 am. Using IMSAFE and PAVE, decided it wouldn't be a good idea to go at 7 am. Felt good to fly again. Going again tonight. Saturday will be spending all day with my instructor. As an aside, my instructor has been extremely encouraging and keeping my spirits up. I am blessed to have this guy in my corner. Looks like the ride will be Monday.
Good luck!

My dream check ride would be at 7 am. Little to no wind or turbulence!

Four hour oral? :eek: No wonder you were so tired you flubbed the hold.

Anyway, get back on your horse and finish it.

My examiner didn't say a word about the way I flew the checkride, and I had a 530w in the plane. The only time I loaded an approach was for the RNAV. I have to imagine that if you were to say, "The GPS isn't giving me what I want, I'm just going to hand fly the hold," it would show good judgement on your part. The automation features of the aircraft are supposed to reduce your workload, not increase it.

That shouldn't be a problem. When I took my IR ride (first attempt) I was doing an ILS and messed up on the button pushing on the 430W. I had tuned in the localizer and IDed it. Was on the approach with the needles centered, but the 430W was trying to tell me to turn back to a waypoint. I pointed out to the DPE that I must have messed up the settings on the 430, but that we were established on the approach with centered needles. He was fine with that. I got busted for getting too low on a non-precision approach. Oops.

I feel your pain, brother. I busted my first ride recently - I just about did everything wrong. It's very demoralising and you really feel like quitting. Don't! You'll get it next time, walk in the park (Kasansky).

But it's a tough ride and your at the mercy of the DPE's level of willingness to test with automation etc. If it's in the plane and is current, it's fair game. I busted the main part due to crappy 430 knowledge, so mine wanted to see that on re-ride. He also likes to see you use the autopilot. Some other DPE's are more old school and don't care about that.

Good luck!

I feel your pain, brother. I busted my first ride recently - I just about did everything wrong. It's very demoralising and you really feel like quitting. Don't! You'll get it next time, walk in the park (Kasansky).

But it's a tough ride and your at the mercy of the DPE's level of willingness to test with automation etc. If it's in the plane and is current, it's fair game. I busted the main part due to crappy 430 knowledge, so mine wanted to see that on re-ride. He also likes to see you use the autopilot. Some other DPE's are more old school and don't care about that.

Good luck!

This whole thing at the end has been a cluster f. Still haven't gone for ride. Not telling anyone when, where or with who I'm doing it. Was supposed to be Sunday but I cancelled last week. Did not want to fly at 7 am which means I would have had to be up at 5. DPE I was going to go with and who is member of club was busy for other times. Found new DPE. Rescheduled, but then first DPE that busted me found out (he's buddies with DPE I cancelled on) that I was using this DPE that he dislikes ( actually it's a mutual dislike society when I first net DPE 2 she said I should consider training with her), he called her and bitched her out for taking the appointment. She backed down saying she didn't want to get involved in flying club politics and didn't want to further her reputation of "stealing customers". So DPE 1 meddled in my affairs and screwed me over, because the other DPE had told me that we would go the Kenosha, do a hold back to exec for an ILS and call it a day. Found a new DPE and not telling anyone who it is other than my CFII. But it seems it will be a full new ride at more $$. So DPE 1 besides causing stress also cost me more $$. In the interim, even though I'm ready, been doing a lot of sim procedures work. This drama is worse than Peyton Place. I tried to do the right thing by going to AMA member if the club and I got f-d.

Wow sounds like you are going through the wringer right now with this. Hope it all works out.

I must say that I understand the original DPE being miffed that you scheduled with another one to finish up. That is money out of their pocket. It's kind of like using one realtor to find the house and writing the offer, but using another one to close. On top of that I was curious why the second DPE would be willing to only check what you failed on the first ride instead of doing a whole new check ride.

But it does sound like you are on the right track by finding someone totally new and doing the whole thing over again. It sounds like the first DPE is pretty ****ed at you and might make things hard on you. Good luck on the third one!

I must say that I understand the original DPE being miffed that you scheduled with another one to finish up. That is money out of their pocket. It's kind of like using one realtor to find the house and writing the offer, but using another one to close. On top of that I was curious why the second DPE would be willing to only check what you failed on the first ride instead of doing a whole new check ride.

But it does sound like you are on the right track by finding someone totally new and doing the whole thing over again. It sounds like the first DPE is pretty ****ed at you and might make things hard on you. Good luck on the third one!

Original DPE lost his certification temporarily on August 1 because he missed a mandatory FAA meeting so he couldn't do the re ride. Another reason for the cluster and why I am so ****ed at him. I should have said I wasn't going with him and be done with it.

Getting your Instrument Rating is hard enough without having to mess with all that personal drama.

Hang in there. Good Luck on the next check ride.

So whats the name of this new DPE?? :) Your problems are not getting me excited about doing my IR check ride. I hope things go better for you this time.

This whole thing at the end has been a cluster f. Still haven't gone for ride. Not telling anyone when, where or with who I'm doing it. Was supposed to be Sunday but I cancelled last week. Did not want to fly at 7 am which means I would have had to be up at 5. DPE I was going to go with and who is member of club was busy for other times. Found new DPE. Rescheduled, but then first DPE that busted me found out (he's buddies with DPE I cancelled on) that I was using this DPE that he dislikes ( actually it's a mutual dislike society when I first net DPE 2 she said I should consider training with her), he called her and bitched her out for taking the appointment. She backed down saying she didn't want to get involved in flying club politics and didn't want to further her reputation of "stealing customers". So DPE 1 meddled in my affairs and screwed me over, because the other DPE had told me that we would go the Kenosha, do a hold back to exec for an ILS and call it a day. Found a new DPE and not telling anyone who it is other than my CFII. But it seems it will be a full new ride at more $$. So DPE 1 besides causing stress also cost me more $$. In the interim, even though I'm ready, been doing a lot of sim procedures work. This drama is worse than Peyton Place. I tried to do the right thing by going to AMA member if the club and I got f-d.

Boy, sounds like a lot of other people are "causing" and "costing" you stuff... Probably more hassle than a 5am wakeup call. :rolleyes:

You didn't want to take the ride at 7 because you didn't want to wake up early? You could have knocked it out of the park at that time!

You didn't want to take the ride at 7 because you didn't want to wake up early? You could have knocked it out of the park at that time!

Uhmmmmm....ever hear of I'm Safe? I am not coherent at 7 am.

Any good news?

Not yet. Postponed it due to work deadlines. Have my Peer Review coming up, then corporate, partnership and fiduciary tax deadlines. Just swamped at work. I was afraid I would run out of time. Thanks for asking though.

Last edited:
Best of luck finding a better DPE and finishing up this next time. I went through a similar drama filled issue dealing with this sort of issue for my private pilot checkride. Don't give up and you will soon be an instrument rated pilot.

Well passed my CPA licensing peer review with flying colors on Thursday. Don't have to go through that again for 3 years. Slept well Thursday and Friday. Flew last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. It was flawless. Guess the work stress was compounding issues. Looking forward to finishing up soon.

Well passed my CPA licensing peer review with flying colors on Thursday. Don't have to go through that again for 3 years. Slept well Thursday and Friday. Flew last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. It was flawless. Guess the work stress was compounding issues. Looking forward to finishing up soon.

Ah, peer review. Gotta love it. I'm kind of glad I'm a tax guy when the review team comes in.

You'll kick the IR too. Good luck, Arthur.

Ah, peer review. Gotta love it. I'm kind of glad I'm a tax guy when the review team comes in.

You'll kick the IR too. Good luck, Arthur.

Know the feeling. Also do tons of taxes do I have 9/15 and 10/15 coming up. But besides being a Peer Reviewer myself, I also serve on the state's Peer Feview Acceptance Board. It would have been embarrassing if I blew it..

CONGRATS!

On vacation in STL for the long weekend. Going to fly in a 172 that was the plane that my son took his first flight in 2 years ago.

Great job Arthur. With that out of the way, you'll nail the ride.

Back