Back Surgery and Resuming Flying

Dan Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dgplo
Has anyone had lower lumbar fusion surgery on the L5S1? I'm due to undergo this surgery, this is my only bad disc and am expected to make a full recovery. I fly a Piper, which might be a nightmare at first to climb into the cockpit. If you had this procedure, when were you able to start flying again? I'm worried about entering the plane as well as the preflight, bending, twisting, etc.

Until you stop worrying about bending, twisting, and especially getting out of the aircraft. I had L1-L5 fusion and it took me 9 mos till I felt comfortable handling the push, pull, twisting and basic insecurities. I’m sure you will feel comfortable sooner.

My dad had L4 and L5 fused. Was in a fishing boat in Canada 6 weeks later, some pretty solid abuse on that area but just had moderate soreness. Dont ever remember the plane being an issue after that. This was 15 years ago so can't give you an exact timeframe. He also flies a Cherokee, 64 now and it's a non issue getting in and out.

My dad had L4 and L5 fused. Was in a fishing boat in Canada 6 weeks later, some pretty solid abuse on that area but just had moderate soreness. Dont ever remember the plane being an issue after that. This was 15 years ago so can't give you an exact timeframe. He also flies a Cherokee, 64 now and it's a non issue getting in and out.
Thanks for your reply. I will be cautiously optimistic that I can fly after 8-10 weeks post surgery.

Had a micro discectomy down there, so not a perfect analogy… was told if I had to go back, fusion was next…

Doesn’t seem any of the movements are a huge issue, but weight is. Caveat, as long as movement is smart… ie don’t do a sit up in bed, roll on your side and push up with arms, etc.

My doc gave me ZERO limitations on movement, but LOTS of restrictions on weights. Seemed to encourage movement to keep circulation and healing sped along.

All seemed to make sense, and I had ZERO problems. Hope your situation goes as well!!

So there I was… he said no more than 10 lbs the first month. Opened refrigerator and reached for a gallon of milk. Pilot training kicked in and I remembered that should weigh in around 8 lbs, too close for comfort…. “SOMEBODY COME POUR ME A GLASS OF MILK!!”

And bless their hearts they did! Follow doc’s instructions to the letter.

I had a microdiscectomy last year — been battling one bad disc since 2014. I re-herniated the disc 2x this year. Fortunately this is the only bad disc. The first 6 weeks are critical — as you mentioned, I won’t lift a thing heavier than a book…

Just stay away from this book:
13akpt.jpg

Has anyone had lower lumbar fusion surgery on the L5S1? I'm due to undergo this surgery, this is my only bad disc and am expected to make a full recovery. I fly a Piper, which might be a nightmare at first to climb into the cockpit. If you had this procedure, when were you able to start flying again? I'm worried about entering the plane as well as the preflight, bending, twisting, etc.
I'd go by the regulations. You can't be taking any medications that would not be permitted by the FAA. If you're flying under a class 3 or better medical, you'd have to be able to meet those requirements before acting as PIC. If you're flying under LS or Basic Med you have to be able to operate safely. Last, and probably least, is what other people tell you, maybe even including your own doctor. :)

I'd go by the regulations. You can't be taking any medications that would not be permitted by the FAA. If you're flying under a class 3 or better medical, you'd have to be able to meet those requirements before acting as PIC. If you're flying under LS or Basic Med you have to be able to operate safely. Last, and probably least, is what other people tell you, maybe even including your own doctor. :)
Yes…I should be off all meds within 6 weeks, other than Tylenol. Once Dr says “all clear” I will gingerly enter the plane. I’m sure it will be at least 90-120 days… if all goes well.

Had L2-L5 fused two years ago. Total success and was back flying in about a month. And to add to that, I’m 6’7”…you should see my squeeze into my C172 ✈️✈️

There's your answer. This is in large part self limiting. If you are expressing concern about that decision, chances are you will know when you are ready.

I had surgery in that spot but not fusion, so my experience wouldn't be any indication of yours.

Back