B17 crash at Dallas.

Sooooo…. Pretty probable an air boss issue.

But you have to ask what/why more than once to get to the root cause.

What happened? Fighter flew into a bomber.
Why? Loss of situation awareness.
Why did he lose it? Bad plan on the fly.
Who? Air boss.
WHY? Inexperienced?

Thence… how could he be air boss? Selected by air show organizers.

WHY?

That answer will get us closer to root cause.

Ironically I think TPS (Toyota Production Systems) says you have to ask WHY like seven times before you get the real answer….

Sooooo…. Pretty probable an air boss issue.

Did the airboss design the circuit? I don't know. Lots of links in this accident chain, but I believe it starts with the circuit design and the lack of altitude deconfliction.

Seems like lots of blame to go around.

There were several comments in the docket about the P-51 and Me-262 at Wings Over Houston on Sunday, October 30, 2022... Does anyone here have footage that might enlighten those comments?

Juan Browne and Scott Perdue break down the accident (NTSB docket), recently posted:

Juan Browne and Scott Perdue break down the accident (NTSB docket), recently posted:
Anything we didn’t already beat to death here within a few weeks of it happening?

This post is just me ruminating about flying and its presence over my years.

I was looking through my cloud photos and came across some photos of P-63F 43-11719 taken during the 2021 CAF show at KRBD. I had the pleasure of meeting Craig Hutain, and he took the time to educate me about the aircraft's history and its rarity. He was a very nice man, and we spoke for almost thirty minutes.

Somewhere in my photo collection I also have some shots of B-17 44-83872 Texas Raiders, taken at Ellington in 1984. It was the first of many times we crossed paths. I had my son with me, he had just turned one year old, and dad was already introducing him to aviation.

The link below gives a timeline history of the Kingcobra. The last photo in the sequence was taken by @RyanShort1, as it taxied out for its final flight. Ryan has shared his thoughts about that day, which must have been most difficult.

Back