B-25 SIC rating

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
A good friend, Scott (Gunny) Purdue e-mailed and offered a chance to get an SIC rating in a B-25 rating this weekend <g>. He didn't have to twist my arm too hard! So, I may be incommunicado this weekend as I fill my ears with the roar of Mitchell bomber engines.

I think the entire time I'm out there, I will think of my Dad who would have absolutely loved to have ridden in one. (He had tried to go to Army flight school back in WWII and was kept out because he was a bit short.) Guess I'll bring cushion to sit on.

Best,

Dave

Good for you, Dave.

Might see you on the ramp someday.

I was working an airshow last month that had one of the scheduled -25s cancel because the flight crew all had the flu and they couldn't find suitable replacements on short notice. The show organizers scrambled all day to locate a substitute -25 that was available for the weekend.

Dave, great opportunity. I'm anxious to hear your report!

Holy ****. That's about the coolest thing posted on this board in a long time. I share Lance and Tony's sentiments. TOO COOL!

So, what does something like that actually cost?

attaboy, Dave! Keep us posted so we can ride along with you, vicariously.

IIRC, it works best if you start with some molded rubber plugs, then some folded hankies. Some sound-deadening foam on top of that, then three sets of Bose X worn concentrically, all with extra battery packs. If that assortment is worn properly, you should be able to hear again (with the volume turned full up) in about 3 weeks.

That's what I remember from flying the B-26, but that was only for a couple of hours and long before ANR headsets.

IIRC, it works best if you start with some molded rubber plugs, then some folded hankies. Some sound-deadening foam on top of that, then three sets of Bose X worn concentrically, all with extra battery packs. If that assortment is worn properly, you should be able to hear again (with the volume turned full up) in about 3 weeks.

That's what I remember from flying the B-26, but that was only for a couple of hours and long before ANR headsets.

Huh? whatwasthat? Hey? (Working on my best experienced WWII bomber pilot responses.)
Working on my swagger a bit before the weekend <g>
Been practicin my baritone voice.
Pretty soon, I'll read about how to fly the plane!

Best,

Dave

Congratulations Dave. Let us know how it is.

What price do you anticipate asking for the signed (reproduction) leather helmet and goggle sets?

Huh? whatwasthat? Hey? (Working on my best experienced WWII bomber pilot responses.)

Best,

Dave

Hey Dave. I know for a fact that if you show up at SimCom or Simuflite asking for an SIC, they promptly try to talk you into the PIC program. Maybe this could be the same :D

I think the only difference is a single-engine miss and a couple of maneuvers. You'd think a guy with Dave's background (and alleged equipment dimensions) would be able to handle that without breaking a sweat.

Hey Dave. I know for a fact that if you show up at SimCom or Simuflite asking for an SIC, they promptly try to talk you into the PIC program. Maybe this could be the same :D

Nah, the big difference is a checkride. Wonder how much an hour that bird costs to run???

Nah, the big difference is a checkride. Wonder how much an hour that bird costs to run???

See above. If you have to ask... ;)

That said, if given the opportunity, I'd jump at it. How cool would it be to be able to check that off the bucket list?

That's what I meant. Both ratings require checkrides. One includes a single engine miss and a couple of maneuvers the other one doesn't.

Thanks folks, I'll certainly ask. I'm happy just to get a rating in it. Of course, being able to fly it as PIC would raise all the usual owner and insurance issues.

Best,

Dave

Piece of cake for any stud pilot who can handle a 58.

Thanks folks, I'll certainly ask. I'm happy just to get a rating in it. Of course, being able to fly it as PIC would raise all the usual owner and insurance issues.

Best,

Dave

Best,

Dave
Yes, but what's your call sign? After the ride, you gonna share that with us? :yesnod:

Having visions of Richard Todd in the cockpit (maybe a shorter version) <g>

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• richardtodd.jpg
    richardtodd.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 17
B-25 Flight Procedures!

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• PP B-25 Flight Procedures v1.4.pdf
    150.9 KB · Views: 28
A few final questions before you leave for training:

Will your existing sunglasses and leather jacket be sufficient, or will you need to replace them before the weekend?

Can you modify your Stetson to accomodate the Bose?

Can you get all that flying done and perfect your John Wayne side-shuffle stride during one weekend, or will you need some extra time?

How many different ways can you pronounce "pilgrim"?

Can you wear a 50-mission-crush bomber hat in a Baron?

Will learning fly the B-25 have any impact on your flying habits in the 58? or your flaring habits?

Should we expect to see you "pulling each blade through" before future starts of the 58?

Have they told you yet whether you're supposed to call the bad guys "bogies" or "bandits?"

Should we consider it "just a coincidence" when the B-25 PILOT manual is lying conspiciuously visible on the dashboard of your car every day for the next year or so?

Do they provide the necessary stories to tell about "flying the bomber" while you're there, or do you have to make up your own?

Can you tell if your voice is getting deeper already?

Since Dave is about to become a hotshot warbird pilot he's gonna need a handle. I think we should work up a list here and then vote via poll for his new callsign.

I'll start, my first two suggestions are:

Snicker
and
Smirk

A few final questions before you leave for training:

Will your existing sunglasses and leather jacket be sufficient, or will you need to replace them before the weekend?

Can you modify your Stetson to accomodate the Bose?

Can you get all that flying done and perfect your John Wayne side-shuffle stride during one weekend, or will you need some extra time?

How many different ways can you pronounce "pilgrim"?

Can you wear a 50-mission-crush bomber hat in a Baron?

Will learning fly the B-25 have any impact on your flying habits in the 58? or your flaring habits?

Should we expect to see you "pulling each blade through" before future starts of the 58?

Have they told you yet whether you're supposed to call the bad guys "bogies" or "bandits?"

Should we consider it "just a coincidence" when the B-25 PILOT manual is lying conspiciuously visible on the dashboard of your car every day for the next year or so?

Do they provide the necessary stories to tell about "flying the bomber" while you're there, or do you have to make up your own?

Can you tell if your voice is getting deeper already?

So much to think about; SO MUCH TO DO! The pressure is getting to me already (sound of bomber raidal engines in a spiral in the background).

Best,

Dave

Since Dave is about to become a hotshot warbird pilot he's gonna need a handle. I think we should work up a list here and then vote via poll for his new callsign.

I'll start, my first two suggestions are:

Snicker
and
Smirk

Wow! you really know how to bring a guy back down to earth quickly! Jack Elam had better handles than that!

Best,

Dave

That's what I meant. Both ratings require checkrides. One includes a single engine miss and a couple of maneuvers the other one doesn't.

As I understand it, the SIC-only ratings are a "train to standard" with NO checkride. :yes:

Enjoy your warbird time... Wish I was there..

Just be careful about pushing up the throttles doing one engine out while low and slow. Theres a LOT of torque there that can ruin your day if you push the throttles past the safety wire before your speed is up.

A friend of mine spent a few months recovering from someone elses learning experience with regards to that..

In that case why the sales pitch to go ahead and do the PIC course because "it's only takes a little bit more?"

We gave SIC checkrides for those who came for the SIC course. There's no doubt in my mind about it, because I did the training. Whether a ride had to be done if they trained somewhere other than the Part 142 school where I taught (Simuflite) is certainly a possibility and like most of the fine-print in the regs, beyond my area of interest.
As I understand it, the SIC-only ratings are a "train to standard" with NO checkride. :yes:

In that case why the sales pitch to go ahead and do the PIC course because "it's only takes a little bit more?"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Follow it. ;)

We gave SIC checkrides for those who came for the SIC course. There's no doubt in my mind about it, because I did the training. Whether a ride had to be done if they trained somewhere other than the Part 142 school where I taught (Simuflite) is certainly a possibility and like most of the fine-print in the regs, beyond my area of interest.

I think the checkride-not-required is a new-ish development, just in the last few years, resulting from the ICAO adopting the requirement for international ops to have both pilots "type rated" or somesuch. No, I don't know the exact wording but that's the gist of it.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Follow it. ;)

I think the checkride-not-required is a new-ish development, just in the last few years, resulting from the ICAO adopting the requirement for international ops to have both pilots "type rated" or somesuch. No, I don't know the exact wording but that's the gist of it.

Could be. Seems strange that the requirements would be lowered, but good for them. I'm happy that I don't have to care now.

It's not a newish development. I took an SIC checkride in the Lear 35 sim in 2000. I think the only difference was that you didn't need to do the single engine missed approach or the circle to land. I also don't think the standards were as high. As long a you didn't crash you passed.

The thing is, you didn't get anything extra added to your certificate like you do now. In fact I think it just counted as a Part 135 SIC checkride, but it's been a long time so I don't remember the details.

Last edited:
That is consistent with my recollection as well. The checkride was required for either course, just less extensive for the SIC.

It's not a newish development. I took an SIC checkride in the Lear 35 sim in 2000. I think the only difference was that you didn't need to do the single engine missed approach or the circle to land. I also don't think the standards were as high. As long a you didn't crash you passed.

The thing is, you didn't get anything extra added to your certificate like you do now. In fact I think it just counted as a Part 135 SIC checkride, but it's been a long time so I don't remember the details.

Back