B-25 SIC rating

I think the checkride-not-required is a new-ish development, just in the last few years, resulting from the ICAO adopting the requirement for international ops to have both pilots "type rated" or somesuch. No, I don't know the exact wording but that's the gist of it.

It's not a newish development. I took an SIC checkride in the Lear 35 sim in 2000. I think the only difference was that you didn't need to do the single engine missed approach or the circle to land. I also don't think the standards were as high. As long a you didn't crash you passed.

The thing is, you didn't get anything extra added to your certificate like you do now. In fact I think it just counted as a Part 135 SIC checkride, but it's been a long time so I don't remember the details.

Mari,

The only new development I'm talking about is the checkride not being required - If you took a *checkride* in 2000, you're making my point. ;)

As with all things certificate related, the Answer can be found in Part 61 of the FARs. Specifically 61.55(d)(7) "There is no practical test required for the issuance of the “SIC Privileges Only” pilot type rating." End of that discussion.

Now back to the important stuff, Dave's excellent adventure. My guess is that he has a handle from his days in a well known southeast asian conflict. Care to tell us what that was, Dave?

The only new development I'm talking about is the checkride not being required - If you took a *checkride* in 2000, you're making my point. ;)
I didn't see the "not" the first time. Now that I think about it, the checkride was a Part 135 SIC checkride and does not apply to 91.

A good friend, Scott (Gunny) Purdue e-mailed and offered a chance to get an SIC rating in a B-25 rating this weekend <g>. He didn't have to twist my arm too hard! So, I may be incommunicado this weekend as I fill my ears with the roar of Mitchell bomber engines.

I think the entire time I'm out there, I will think of my Dad who would have absolutely loved to have ridden in one. (He had tried to go to Army flight school back in WWII and was kept out because he was a bit short.) Guess I'll bring cushion to sit on.

Best,

Dave

This requires more than the "normal" response.

My Dearest David.

Thou Suckest The Mostest.

Love,
Tim

When I flew way back in Vietnam, I was Saber 30. But the call signs were designed for one's position in the unit. I don't think I ever had an individual handle; that was more AF fighter pilot stuff I think. I was just an expendable snuffy flying where I was told to <g>
Hey Cpt, Sickilerio, take your guys over there and tell us how much fire you draw (when air cav). YES SIR!

Best,

Dave

Hey Cpt, Sickilerio, take your guys over there and tell us how much fire you draw (when air cav). YES SIR!

This makes sense. Flying the P is easy now - you just have to fly the plane, not worry about getting shot at. :)

Hey, Saber 30 has a nice ring to it.

OK, driving into work today on the north service road for DFW, a long string of WWII planes came in and landed on 13R, including... a B-25. I wonder if it's the one Dave will be flying this weekend?

Oh, and THAT WAS FREAKIN' COOL TO WATCH! Way more fun than ATR's, MD-8x's, 73x's...

Oh, and THAT WAS FREAKIN' COOL TO WATCH! Way more fun than ATR's, MD-8x's, 73x's...

There is nothing so cool as a bunch of big ol' WWII aircraft flying low overhead. Those are real airplanes, and the people who flew them in the war are/were true pilots.

Those who fly them today aren't half bad, either. ;)

Well, shoot; it weren't me! I'll be in ground stuff tomorrow; flying the 25 on Sunday and Monday. Sure would have liked to have seen it though!

Best,

Dave

While I didn't fly the B-25 in WWII, I did fly rotary wing in RVN. The guy in the left seat with me was AF and flew 15s or 16s ( I always mix them up) in Iraq.

Best,

Dave

We got to watch a 1944 Army Air Corps movie tonight showing how to fly the B-25---what a hoot! Did a pre-flight and went over initial cockpit procedures and just found out where things were in the cockpit.

We'll be flying in the A.M.

Best,

Dave

Was it the army training film I starred in? I was the guy with the rash.

We got to watch a 1944 Army Air Corps movie tonight showing how to fly the B-25---what a hoot! Did a pre-flight and went over initial cockpit procedures and just found out where things were in the cockpit.

We'll be flying in the A.M.

Best,

Dave

OK, driving into work today on the north service road for DFW, a long string of WWII planes came in and landed on 13R, including... a B-25. I wonder if it's the one Dave will be flying this weekend?

Troy: Talking to the guys last night, they said it was this plane that went into D/FW. Not me in it.

Best,

Dave

Was it the army training film I starred in? I was the guy with the rash.
Well, you have been a bit rash at Gaston's once or twice, Wayne! Different topic--could you have been thinking of the '69, not the '25 :D

Best,

Dave

Well, shoot; it weren't me! I'll be in ground stuff tomorrow; flying the 25 on Sunday and Monday. Sure would have liked to have seen it though!

Best,

Dave

I'm thinking Dave's having way more fun doing what he's doing in his "office" today than I'm having doing what I'm doing in my office...

Finished the actual flying late yesterday: have a temporary cert with the new B-25 SIC rating on it. Pics coming.

Best,

Dave

You had a nice day for flying, too! Can't wait to see the pics, then later buy you a drink and hear the stories!

Awesome, Dave! Can't wait for the write-up and pics!

Does this mean you'll get to fly it more often now?

Here's a pic of me and another fella getting the SIC rating with me. I have more but will have to find some time to post.
It's really hard to communicate the feelings I had. Both from the huge plane with the history it has and from the thoughts of Dad back in WWII wanting to fly and not getting the chance.
Differential brakes to steer that were real grabby and difficult to feel.
Loud, powerful take off with one R2600 on each side; 12 foot plus props just out the window. Just a monster as far as feeling flying and rolling down the runway. Much higher rotation (round out) point on landing on tires higher than my waist.
Engine out was a challenge. Can't imagine what it'd be like at gross.
I think we were near 24,000 pounds when flying. .50 calibers at each crew station.
What a hoot!

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
I think this is totally cool. I hope you have time to send us more details and pics. Good work!

Looks like a lot of fun, but reading between the lines makes me think there may have been quite a bit of work involved as well. Congratulations!

Here's a pic of me and another fella getting the SIC rating with me. I have more but will have to find some time to post.
It's really hard to communicate the feelings I had. Both from the huge plane with the history it has and from the thoughts of Dad back in WWII wanting to fly and not getting the chance.
Differential brakes to steer that were real grabby and difficult to feel.
Loud, powerful take off with one R2600 on each side; 12 foot plus props just out the window. Just a monster as far as feeling flying and rolling down the runway. Much higher rotation (round out) point on landing on tires higher than my waist.
Engine out was a challenge. Can't imagine what it'd be like at gross.
I think we were near 24,000 pounds when flying. .50 calibers at each crew station.
What a hoot!

Best,

Dave

Congrats Dave! One question though. How Many phonebooks did ya have to sit on to see out? :D

For those of us of average stature, crawling up to the nose gunner's position was no problemo!

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    846 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    979.1 KB · Views: 26
Congrats Dave! One question though. How Many phonebooks did ya have to sit on to see out? :D

I was surprised! Standard Army Air Corps seating fit me! We could have used a load of phone books to drop from the bomb bay--let's see, where should we have dropped them :D. Have to keep this out of the Spin Zone and that's at a pretty high airspeed in this critter.

Best,

Dave

I'm eagerly awaiting the full write-up when you get the chance, Dave. :)

Just the size of this monster was something to me. I've just never flown anything this large. It's a bit deceptive because the nose sticks out well forward of the cockpit: where the nose gunner sits. Not really viewable from the cockpit, but sticking out there.

When checking controls free and working, one uses a rear view mirror just above the canopy to the front left and right. One can see the rudder movement and horizontal stab back there. Ailerons popped up a bit above the wing when moved full travel.

One can see the mains down and the nose wheel reflection in the spinner on either side. One climbs in from under the plane on a ladder that comes in just behind the cockpit. Lots of stuff one shouldn't grab. Where one can grab is always apparent right after one really needed it!

Lots of controls and lots of fingers needed at the same time to do some things like starting the engines. Definitely a two person AC.

It's really cool to sit in the nose on an approach; and in the tail in flight. One just feels like they are out there on their own, and, it wouldn't take much to make that true!

Can't imagine sitting in either of those places and trying to fight off enemy fighters, or to watch the flack come up and hope it's not the day one gets hit.

Best,

Dave

Decisions decisions. Should we go-around or.....................?

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Can't imagine sitting in either of those places and trying to fight off enemy fighters, or to watch the flack come up and hope it's not the day one gets hit.

I suspect it's a whole lot more fun when you're not getting shot at.

Back