Aztec issues?

Tommar98

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tommar98
I’m considering moving up to a twin from the Comanche 250. I like the Aztec for load hauling and what appears to be a relatively simple twin platform. What are the gotcha’s that I need to be concerned with? My Comanche is 1962 bird so I am familiar with issues on maintaining an aging aircraft - curious if Aztec is better-worse-same? Any resources you can point me to would be great as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like any aircraft, they have their quirks and AD's, so you need to get some guidance from someone who is an expert in the airframe. From 1976-1980, the F model experimented with a different stabilator which was abandoned for the last couple of years of production. I would avoid those as they seem to have more problems. They were trying to calm the aircraft's propensity to pitch up dramatically when the flaps were first extended. Better to just get used to that quirk.

Like any aircraft, they have their quirks and AD's, so you need to get some guidance from someone who is an expert in the airframe. From 1976-1980, the F model experimented with a different stabilator which was abandoned for the last couple of years of production. I would avoid those as they seem to have more problems. They were trying to calm the aircraft's propensity to pitch up dramatically when the flaps were first extended. Better to just get used to that quirk.
Yeah that certainly caught me the first two times I put the flaps down. It seems to be worse in the first third of the flap range. Aztec C 1965. Eventually you learn to just trim down simultaneously with flaps.. aggressively

Thanks. That’s what I was looking for. I’ll read those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a couple of threads with some operating cost info for piston twins that may be useful:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/first-year-costs-to-run-a-310r.85587/

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/light-twin-owning-and-operating-costs.89350/

If you have any specific questions regarding Aztec systems @Ted, @Kristin and I have ownership history and experience, and @Kristin (who currently owns and flies a Twin Comanche) has a lot of commercial experience with keeping Aztecs and Navajos flying.

Last edited:
There is nothing about Aztecs to say that I haven’t already said in the past 12 years. :)

There is nothing about Aztecs to say that I haven’t already said in the past 12 years. :)

s7jAri.jpg

Reactions: Ted
Back