Aztec engine-out procedures

In 1,000 hours I never checked the hand pump on the Aztec. I probably should have, though. The hand pump is just a hand hydraulic pump so put the flap handle down, pump by hand, watch flaps go down some. If so, it works.

In 1,000 hours I never checked the hand pump on the Aztec. I probably should have, though. The hand pump is just a hand hydraulic pump so put the flap handle down, pump by hand, watch flaps go down some. If so, it works.

It is part of my expanded pre-flight. That is the only way to lower the flaps on the ground. As I have seen some cracked flap spars that can be seen from the slot in the flap for the actuator arm, I check that periodically. It should be checked on every annual/100 hour.

It is part of my expanded pre-flight. That is the only way to lower the flaps on the ground. As I have seen some cracked flap spars that can be seen from the slot in the flap for the actuator arm, I check that periodically. It should be checked on every annual/100 hour.

That was part of why I never checked it - at every 100 hour (which for me came up every couple of months, sometimes quicker) the mechanics checked it, or at least they told me they did. So I left that be.

We found a very fine hairline crack on the RH flap actuator attach bracket during the annual a few years ago. It was a 5000 hour airframe at that time. I suspect that might be aggravated by pilots starting to extend the flaps above the 141 kt initial Vfe, and the buffeting from the props. Regardless, like you, I manually extend the flaps for the walk around and check them carefully.

That was part of why I never checked it - at every 100 hour (which for me came up every couple of months, sometimes quicker) the mechanics checked it, or at least they told me they did. So I left that be.

I wish I could log 100 hours every few months. :goofy:

I wish I could log 100 hours every few months. :goofy:

I owned that plane for 4 years, 900 hours the first three and 100 the fourth.

Back