Awful American(ized) food

atbroome

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ATB
I wanted to post this in the thread on Olive Garden relating to the americanization of various quinines, but I figured it deserved its own awful thread.

My question: how did food culture make it through the 60-70s? One of my favorite twitter accounts to disgust friends and family with:

https://twitter.com/70s_party

A prime example from today:

C_TgswEXoAA6che.jpg

or even

C-l_ri-UMAAdSW9.jpg

I mean, don't knock it until you've tried it but yeah there are some interesting recipes out there from the era I think between the 50s and 80s in general. There are some really unappetizing looking jello recipes with all kinds of meats and other things in them.

You mean this is not what all salads look like?

0a2876af-02e8-4664-8a27-fc9376436e2c--2015-1215_beet-herb-jello-salad_mark-weinberg_471.jpg

Last edited:
Being in general not a fan of: beets, mayonnaise, gelatin, or savory/sweet mixtures I likely would have starved if I was any older than the kid that I was in the 70s.

Mama Steingar used to make jello molds. Haven't been able to touch the stuff since childhood. Probably be improved by lots and lots of inexpensive vodka.

I liked Jello as a kid.

Until I found out what it's made of.

Remember, these recipes came from the same people who liked plaid polyester, belts pulled up to their armpits and polka music.

Mmmmm. Pickled ox tongue in Jello!

Fun recipe for 10-18 of your dearest guests!

https://vintagerecipecards.com/2013/11/19/pressed-ox-tongue/
pressed_ox_tongue.jpg

For 10-18 people you need:
1 pickled tongue*
water
1 large onion
1 large carrot
bay leaf
1 teaspoon powdered gelatin

* The size varies considerably. Salted meat shrinks, so allow a good 1/2 lb. per person

1. Soak tongue overnight in cold water.

2. Put into fresh cold water, bring to a boil, add onion, carrot, bay leaf.

3. Simmer very gently in covered pan, allowing 40 minutes per lb.

4. Lift tongue out of stock, cool.

5. Boil stock in open pan until there is just under 1 1/4 cups.

6. Remove skin of tongue and any tine bones at root of tongue

7. Place in spring form pan or saucepan, curling it round to give good shape. It needs to be a fairly tight fit.

8. Dissolve gelatin in stock, strain over tongue, put plate and a weight on top to press into shape, leave until cold.

9. Remove weight etc. dip base of tin into hot water for 1/2 minute to loosen jelly round meat, and turn out.

TO SERVE: Sliced thinly with salad.

TO VARY: Cook fresh beef tongue (the color will not be as good) with salt to taste.

TO STORE: In the refrigerator. Tongue deteriorates very quickly

I wanted to post this in the thread on Olive Garden relating to the americanization of various quinines, but I figured it deserved its own awful thread.

My question: how did food culture make it through the 60-70s? One of my favorite twitter accounts to disgust friends and family with:

https://twitter.com/70s_party

A prime example from today:

C_TgswEXoAA6che.jpg

or even

C-l_ri-UMAAdSW9.jpg

Apparently the carnival cream is well reviewed...

http://www.midcenturymenu.com/2014/...-ketchup-ice-cream-a-mid-century-recipe-test/

I grew up in the 70s, graduated high school in 1976 and I don't remember any of those.

Don't forget recipes using Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup.

6a00d83451ccbc69e201901e58448f970b-pi

Tuna casserole is a family favorite, though mom's recipe skips the chips and adds about a cup of grated cheddar cheese. I switch between cream of mushroom and cream of celery (whatever I find first). No peas, we just pour it over egg noodles, though toast will work in a pinch. We don't bake it either, just simmer it in a pot.

I could eat tuna salad all day, but I really don't care for it baked in a casserole. I mean I'll eat it when it gets made, but I wouldn't eat it on my own accord.

whenever i hear the word casserole,i run the other way.

I vaguely recall my fourth grade teacher using disgusting descriptions of things some people will eat. bird embryos, etc. When all was said and done she'd just described a sausage and egg breakfast. I guess it's all what you're used to. Just don't tell me how hotdogs are made and I'll still slather mine with mustard.

I had hot dogs for lunch. On ... not kidding... potato bread hot dog buns. :)

Excellent! I like the Martin's potato bread and usually buy the hot dog or hamburger buns when we're doing that...

Excellent! I like the Martin's potato bread and usually buy the hot dog or hamburger buns when we're doing that...

Yay! Another potato bread fan!

(You may have missed the ration of crap I took in the PBJ thread for liking my PBJ on potato bread. LOL! I was making an inside joke towards that.)

Yay! Another potato bread fan!

(You may have missed the ration of crap I took in the PBJ thread for liking my PBJ on potato bread. LOL! I was making an inside joke towards that.)
I saw it and (to my shame) I didn't step in to defend your honor. :frown:

All these old recipes remind me of the Operating manuals (yes OM not POH) to some of the planes I have flown

Don't forget recipes using Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup.

6a00d83451ccbc69e201901e58448f970b-pi

Interesting how this recipe has peas that are cooked, and then they are cooked again. Now I know why so many people in a certain age range cook vegetables to death...they were told to :mad:

@Matthew I think that redefines "gourmet" and heck, if its endorsed by Weight Watchers...what could go wrong???

American pizza. Pizza is definitely better in Italy. Bread, too. European bread is soooo much better than the crap we buy in the supermarkets.

Back