AWE SCAT

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Watch that decent rate,

The way that engine broke away though...:eek:

I think that was staged just to get on You-Tube.

WOW, it didn't look like a hard enough landing to knock the engine off............

The front fell off !

I swear I just saw this somewhere else this morning. Something about a heavier-than-spec’d engine being mounted without adding any extra support for it.

Full Lotus floats? They popped.

No flaps? Pretty steep final. Oops!

I’ve had harder landings than that. At least they felt harder. My Cessnas survived.

Showing off often leads to bad stuff.

That's in Canada near where I grew up and learned to fly. Canadian law has this to say:

• (2) Except where conducting a take-off, approach or landing or where permitted under section 602.15, no person shall operate an aircraft
    • (a) over a built-up area or over an open-air assembly of persons unless the aircraft is operated at an altitude from which, in the event of an emergency necessitating an immediate landing, it would be possible to land the aircraft without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface, and, in any case, at an altitude that is not lower than
      • (i) for aeroplanes, 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 2,000 feet from the aeroplane,

• (ii) for balloons, 500 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 500 feet from the balloon, or

• (iii) for an aircraft other than an aeroplane or a balloon, 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 500 feet from the aircraft; and
    • (b) in circumstances other than those referred to in paragraph (a), at a distance less than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.

Multiple violations there. There are exceptions to that regulation, but none of them apply here. It's the sort of behavior that gives GA a bad name sometimes.

The way that engine broke away though...:eek:
The whole firewall pulled off. Slow the video to see it, and stop/start as the thing descends after the engine departs. You see the pilot's bare legs.

Not a "behind the power curve" accident. Had almost no power on. Just got way too slow and started a massive sink rate.

Full Lotus floats? They popped.

No flaps? Pretty steep final. Oops!

I’ve had harder landings than that. At least they felt harder. My Cessnas survived.

I think the prop chopped the floats. And yes, that didn't look like a 9G landing, which is what engine mountings are supposed to take, at least for certified airplanes.

Guessing that was a Murphy E-AB? Maybe the firewall was pop riveted. :eek:
Glad the pilot made it out okay.
I remember reading in Sport Aviation years ago about someone in Blind Bay with an RV-6 on floats.
Crazy bunch there it would seem. :D

Does this pilot have any legal recourse to the builder? assuming he wasn't the builder.

Bucket list item? Imagine seeing the engine disappear milliseconds before getting spring boarded head of heels.

Does this pilot have any legal recourse to the builder? assuming he wasn't the builder.

Did the builder claim it was factory built? We’re the experimental stickers removed? Did he not have a skilled eye go over the plane before he bought it?

Did the builder claim it was factory built? We’re the experimental stickers removed? Did he not have a skilled eye go over the plane before he bought it?
aren't you always responsible for what you do?

The airplane version of a crumple zone? The engine breaking loose changed the way the airplane reacted to the impact. It may have saved the airframe.

The structural failure there was better than when hitting turbulence in flight. All in all I’d say the guy got off pretty easy.

Showing off often leads to bad stuff.

It's the sort of behavior that gives GA a bad name sometimes.

Yeah, I bet somebody in the crowd was watching the show and thinking that they might like to become a pilot.

"That looks like fun! Yeah, that's what I want to do fly like a bird and...

nope, never mind."

It is important that we have fun as pilots and that we extend our personal envelopes and grow. However, not only for our own safety but for the image of GA, we need to not be idiots. This pilot might have walked away from his accident but he might have caused a potential pilot to walk away from aviation. Not good.

Reminds me of flying for Rivers Inlet Resort.. We had brand new Cessna Turbo 206's, on PK floats.

Some days the airplanes would be almost underwater on takeoff if the ocean waves came in. And, we were always very heavy. Too much to type, but those Cessnas took a terrible beating!!

Just imagine 3 ft waves here and wind at 25 knots, and the dock boys have just filled your floats with 400+ pounds of fish, and you have 3 fat fishermen inside and that it is a 206!!.

Last edited:
It would appear based on the YouTube text that the owner/builder/pilot is the same person, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Experimental aircraft are an experiment. He disproved the thesis that you can hang a heavier engine without beefing up the mounts.

Back