Avionics and Rentals

NoBShere

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NoBShere
So I'm a renter at an outfit that has several 172s and a couple 172RGs that I am checked out in. Most have some model of a garmin gps but, all vary. For the most part, I have been sticking with just two of the planes as I am familiar with the avionics. Just curious, do others in this boat take the time to learn all of the various models or do you just stick with the ones you know? I suppose for some it will depend on plane availability. And no, i don't have to use the gps and sometimes use a paper chart when the only plane available doesn't have any gps.

I think most stick to one or two airplanes when they can. You will tend to develop a favorite. Especially useful if you are student so you can get proficient enough with the avionics for you upcoming checkride. But also not bad to occasionally use and start learning other equipment.

Brian
CFIIGI/ASEL

I wouldn't let avionics stop me from renting a plane I wanted to fly. too many free resources available now to get familiar with stuff. should be able to sit in the plane and get familiar with it before flying, with or without an instructor.

The only planes I actively stay away from are leasebacks owned by this one guy. Has more to do with him than the planes though.

I think a lot depends on you. People have very different levels of technology flexibility (I hereby coin the term "TechFlex"). Some of us can see a different system and reach a competent level of performance quickly; others can't. I seem to have always known that about computers but it was brought home to me about aviation some years ago. I was having a conversation with a very experienced pilot and instructor and mentioned that all the Garmin units were easy to transition among because they all, from the old 196-496 handhleds to the G1000 (the GTN wasn't around or I would have included it) followed the same logic and flow. He looked at me like I was crazy for thinking they were in any way similar.

stick with the ones you know
I stick with the ones I know. Proficiency is important, especially if you fly IMC. A lot of "dumb" accidents happen because panel layout is different, etc.. there was some accident that was blamed on the 172 crashing because the pilot was flying mostly Cirrus and the had the wrong flap settings for takeoff, etc.

You can always get a portable gps unit and take it from plane to plane.

So I'm a renter at an outfit that has several 172s and a couple 172RGs that I am checked out in. Most have some model of a garmin gps but, all vary. For the most part, I have been sticking with just two of the planes as I am familiar with the avionics. Just curious, do others in this boat take the time to learn all of the various models or do you just stick with the ones you know? I suppose for some it will depend on plane availability. And no, i don't have to use the gps and sometimes use a paper chart when the only plane available doesn't have any gps.
IFR in IMC, I stick with what I know.

VFR, I just shut everything off and look out the window.

Thanks for the responses. I’m vfr so not as big of deal as ifr as some have mentioned. Just good to know that it’s not odd that I’m not at the same level of comfort in similar planes that are differently equipped.

for VFR flying, I-d get an iPad with Foreflight and a Stratus or other ADS-B receiver and a simple yoke-mount.

Yes, an IPad mini, Garmin Pilot & a GDL-50, you can bring nav & weather with you, plane to plane. It doesn’t have to be Garmin Pilot, but you get the idea.

Thanks for the responses. I’m vfr so not as big of deal as ifr as some have mentioned. Just good to know that it’s not odd that I’m not at the same level of comfort in similar planes that are differently equipped.
Not any more odd than dealing with differences in just about anything.

To a great extent, it's like driving a rental car. They're all different to your personal car, unless your personal car is a Camry. But even then, the equipment package won't always be the same.

Main difference? Everyone will rent you a car based on your DL and valid method of payment. Not so renting a plane. You'll be expected to show off (er check out) in the exact plane. That's usually an hour or more of dual. You should know the setup by the time you're checked out.

^^^^ Old school. Love it! But constant standardization is sure nice. The more technical your flying is the more standard you panel needs to be. But looks like I will be renting for a while. So i have the same issue.

Back