Aviation License Plates

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I've seen a few over the years, and a friend of mine has a lot of them hanging in his hangar that he's collected.

I just ordered this one. What have you seen?
53585497008_2573b18e29_c.jpg

One of my employees had 0 AGL on his plates.
My wife had "Dulles Annex" plates with our N number on it. She asked me why I put the N number on her plate. I asked her what her plate number was before (she had no idea).

My wife had "Dulles Annex" plates with our N number on it. She asked me why I put the N number on her plate. I asked her what her plate number was before (she had no idea).
My car is gray and black and I didn't want the standard white license plate, so I ordered a black one. I didn't customize it, just black.

People, including my girlfriend, wanted to know why I put GTO on a Corvette! I didn't, it's just what they sent me. Now I'll just have to explain what air-to-air means.
53585352321_8889ebf2d0_c.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about doing that, but there's so much personal info attached to a N#, and tracking info that I try to limit its exposure as much as possible.
Amusingly, she also had a "I'd rather be flying my Navion" license plate frame. Someone who was interested in Navions contacted me after seeing the car in the area.

My plates read N1RN. This is my ham radio callsign. I had it on reserve as an N number for a while but I realized I'd never get around to using it. It's on some glider now.

I saw a plate pulling into an airport: UNABLE. I didn’t get a chance to ask if it referred to her flying or to her driving.

No vanity plates, but by sheer coincidence, I've had "BFR" as the 1st three characters. My current plate starts with "FHT," which of course stands for "Fly Higher Today."

My Great-Grandfather had W5ASH as his ham radio callsign. It stuck in my mind, he's been gone a long time.
I had WN3SBS, N3AGV, KE2LG, and WO2L before N1RN. I probably should have kept WO2L. The prefix hunters used to pile up on me when I called on that one.

A few years ago a United pilot friend invited me out on his boat. Turns out his lift was stuck so he borrowed a friend's (another United pilot) boat. When I got to the Marina I had a pretty good idea which boat was the right one. I found one with "Mist Approach" on the transom.

My motorcycle plate is "GIL."

My car plate is "GOMBEY," which is the name of my T-38 training flight as a student pilot in the Air Force. It's a Chinese word that translates to "Bottoms Up." Our patch shows an inverted T-38 in the jaws of a tiger, with two upside down cocktail glasses. The tiger symbolizes Air Training Command turning pussycats into tigers.

I don't usually go for personalized plates or N numbers, but back when I learned to fly at Van Nuys airport there what a guy with a plate that read 'FLY2VNY'. I thought that was cool.

C.

Mine is WNGSOVT from when I registered Wings Over Vermont as a business in Vermont, planning to use the Cub for aerial photography in retirement. That was right around the time that drones became cheap and readily available. A realtor could buy a drone for the price of one or two photography sessions in an airplane, and probably end up with better pictures for less effort. So I kept the license plate but not the business. :cool:

Ironically, I once parked next to another similar plate at Sugarbush.

WNGSOVT.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about doing that, but there's so much personal info attached to a N#, and tracking info that I try to limit its exposure as much as possible.
Suppose your tail number was N123E, and you chose 123ECHO as your car’s plate. I did that with mine, and I’ve found that it’s obscure enough that very few people can guess the meaning of my plate. So it makes me happy without losing any real privacy.

Ha, nice! OK has aviation-themed plates and I decided to go vanity with ZROAGL on mine. I tried for 0 AGL, but it was either taken or perhaps OK doesn't allow for plate numbers to begin with 0.

20220804_121757.jpg

Last edited:
I have a WA state aviation plate but it doesn't have a custom number.
1710436352665.png

I havve two favorite hobbies, Flying and Skiing. IMG_1065.jpeg
Skiing won the Plate but the Frame and Stickers reveal the other.

Before the ask, I flew back seat in a Tomcat a couple of times (including out to the Boat) but my day job was an engineer for the USAF for 32.5 years

IMG_6215.jpegMany years ago, in a state far away, this was on my Camaro.

In a parking garage at CLT, I saw a tag that said:
IFLYVNE

* thought I took a pic of it, but it seems I did not.

I spent a year learning to fly in Arizona. Never saw IMC until they sent me to Kansas.
The last time I called for a pop-up clearance was in Arizona, east of Flagstaff in January. There is some luck involved.

One of mine and one I’ve seen out in town.

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    695.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2550.jpeg
    IMG_2550.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3
Back