Aviation Goals for 2022

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
It's just a little over two weeks until 2022. Hopefully it's even better than 2021.

What goals does everyone have for 2022? Aviation goals, and more.

Flying

Lots more flying. Traveling, Angel Flights, Young Eagles. The first half of the year may be mostly short trips and volunteer flights. We have two major work events and then a European trip (if COVID doesn't muck it up yet again). Family and friends to visit in FL, which we would do early in the year. Then visit our daughter and her boyfriend in the spring in Oklahoma City, so that will probably be the biggest flight in the first half of the year.

After I retire we'll probably do a big trip to see family and friends in the northeast and tennis in Cincinnati. Once I'm retired I can also do Angel Flight missions on weekdays.

Work
Get through the last of our merger work. Then retire at the end of July.
rockon.gif

There are a couple of jobs that popped up that I'm talking to people about as they are for quite a bit of money, and sound like more fun than what I'm doing now. I don't think either will pan out. After that, I'm not entertaining any work offers as the retirement payout will be too big.

More Flying

After I retire we'll have lots of flexibility for more travel; my wife retired this past August.

I also plan to spend a lot more time working out for triathlons too. Although travel may make a mess of those plans. :oops:

I'm hoping to make several $100 hamburger / weekend trip meet-ups with other pilots.

Cross 500 hours, and have a normal annual...

Maintain the status que until late spring, then I hope to pick up on flying and other things starting early summer.

Cross 500 hours, and have a normal annual...
Hey! Those are my goals!

Ones that will require a little effort:
-visit the remaining 27 airports in IL
-add 5 states to my map

Ones that I really don't expect will happen, but are theoretically possible:
-commercial certificate
-600 hours total

Commercial. Then Multi commercial with instrument. Then seaplane single & multi commercial. Glider commercial?

Do some more traveling. We already have a few vacations planned. Fly less at work. Although it’s hard to fly less than ~30 hours per month.:D

2022 goals:
1) Lock in the new job
1b) grow the opex budget (and therefore maintain or fly more)
2) Commercial (single, then multi add on)

Stretch goals:
Fly GA to Bahamas
Buy (/partner in) a plane
High altitude endorsement in a PC12 (includes 1 hr and 1-2 log-able landings)

-Fly more
-Figure out new home/hangar/airplane plan for our property
-Be present with my family as much as possible

you should add "landing in a state that starts with 'i'"

Haha. It is an interesting map I have. WI and MN were from when I got my PPL and lived up there. The others were from when I lived in Memphis and flew a friends 172RG. Ohio I just picked up this year. I probably do have to fill in the ones between current home and original home! Part of the plan for buying an airplane will be to fly back to see my family more often in NW WI, so I may get a reason to land in Indiana or Illinois.

I'd like to get more flying in and possibly find a good non-equity partnership, as getting rental time locally is an absolute hurculean effort. I'd really like to get my instrument rating.

Work-wise, I'm fairly burnt out with my career of the past 22 years (independent oil & gas land professional) and currently learning Python and checking out various courses to make a pivot into a tech career somehow, with the help & encouragement of a good friend. Hopefully those efforts bear some fruit and I can maintain a similar (if not better) overall quality of life!

Oh - and I'd also like to change a few diet and exercise habits of mine. :)

Finish up my last transition (B787).
Fly much less at work.
Full panel upgrade for my airplane.
Go more places flying my airplane.
Adopt a baby sister kitten for my cat.

Normal Goals
- 100+ hours this year
- Oshkosh trip
- High Performance Endorsement

Stretch goals
- Tailwheel endorsement
- 150+ hours
- Complex endorsement
- Commercial (if not 2022, then this will be a 2023 goal)

Last edited:
I think I write the same thing every year - fly more GA! I only fly around 20 hours per year. I keep saying I'll do more but for whatever reason can't make it happen. One of these days I'll start flying gliders too.

Others have talked about working less - that's a good one. The reduced schedules from covid have spoiled me, and if I can reliably work fewer than 100 days per year (without bidding reserve - that's cheating!) I'd be happy.

I think I write the same thing every year - fly more GA! I only fly around 20 hours per year. I keep saying I'll do more but for whatever reason can't make it happen….

25 hours for me. We’ve got to do better. Should we set a goal together? Say, 30 to start?

- I've been slacking a little, need to get back up to 100+ hours in 2022.
- Don't screw the pooch with some of the big upgrades I'm considering; don't make a financial or headache mistake that I'll regret.
- Get the wife back in the front seat, not in the back managing little kids
- Father-son(s) camping trip without mom
- Officially transition to Basic Med
- Continue to manage my upgrade-itis and avoid buying a new plane again this year!!

I'm still finishing up my goal for 2021: cross 1000 hours. I currently have 999.7...it may be hard to complete 1000 in the air, and I'll probably cross the threshold while still taxiing.

CFII
Commerical rotary add-on
Hit 500 hours
Apply for USCG Direct Commission Aviator

I'm still finishing up my goal for 2021: cross 1000 hours. I currently have 999.7...it may be hard to complete 1000 in the air, and I'll probably cross the threshold while still taxiing.

Just round down and claim it happened while in the air :D

My 2022 aviation goal is to only have 1 goal. Not to set any goals.

Do some more traveling. We already have a few vacations planned. Fly less at work. Although it’s hard to fly less than ~30 hours per month.:D

:eek: wow. Man I'm just looking forward to having more than 12 days off a month

Last edited:
Back