average labor cost to change 2 main tires on 210?

This is really another lesson in requesting quotes and a breakdown of cost. I realize that sometimes it's an emergency and in those instances you don't have a leg to stand on. A lot of maintenance shops have a monopoly on the field and can pretty much charge what ever they want. If you aren't willing to pay, invest in your own tools or find someone else on the field to do it. There usually isn't a shortage of A&P's at most airports among the flying tenants.

But then again, problems sometimes happen, even with name brand tires.

Service Bulletin
April 27, 1998 CQB98-7...
Model

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. Service Bulletin Number: GY SB 98-32-003 which requires an
inspection of specified Part Number 277K06-1 main landing gear tires. According to Goodyear; "Based on a field report and measurement of some remaining tires in our Danville Plant, certain 1997 production tires may be larger than normal." This condition could cause interference with the normal cycling of the landing gear. Non-compliance with this service bulletin may result in the inability to fully retract or extend the main landing gear in or out of the wheelwell.
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=22935

We don't swing for multi million dollar turboprops, tell me again why you swing those gear for that little 210/182rg etc?
Because we must CYA, you get covered by the FBO's insurance, thus could care less if you hang a gear.

The OP said the parts (tires & tubes) were owner supplied. Were they the right parts or did he decide to try a different tire for whatever reason (price, wearability, availability, etc)? In a retractable, as soon as you start changing tire brands, models, using retreads or ply ratings, a gear swing is definitely called for. It is recommended for good reason.
IRC, Cheyennes only like Michelins, which is why they are specified in the IPC. Install the same size of Goodyears on the mains and suddenly the inboard doors don't close properly. Which someone then "fixes" by tweaking the torque links, then the plane doesn't track right and wears the tires faster.
In my book, any aircraft with wheel pants or retractable gear, will get looked at closely if a tire that is not specified in the IPC is requested to be installed.

Because we must CYA, you get covered by the FBO's insurance, thus could care less if you hang a gear.

we don't use fbos

insurance isn't a immediate factor

since when is spending a few bucks on the safety of your own ass and aircraft not money well spent? if a hour of labor on your part or hired out,is a big deal you need a different aircraft or lifestyle. some of the naysayers probably have the most up to date glass panel and never look out the windows! priorities you need them.

Last edited:
since when is spending a few bucks on the safety of your own ass and aircraft not money well spent? if a hour of labor on your part or hired out,is a big deal you need a different aircraft or lifestyle. some of the naysayers probably have the most up to date glass panel and never look out the windows! priorities you need them.
Lets look at this at a different angle. How many A&Ps do you know that have a hydraulic power pack that will work on a Cessna 210?

Because if I made it rain $100s for every half wit who threw the safety flag, I wouldn't even be able to afford top ramen, people don't get into positions where they can have a personal aircraft by always being taken advantage of, just because someone invokes "saftey" "terrorists" "the children" "racism" or whatever other lame money/power grab word, doesn't mean you just bend over and grab your ankles.

Gotta think for yourself, the only type of safety a gear swing after a tire change creates is financial saftey for some sleazy AP.

Ask the AP to show you in the factory, FAA approved, maintenance manual where it calls for the gear swing, hmmm, nothing, well...ok, ask them pull up a NTSB crash involving your aircraft type and a gear up caused by not swinging after a tire change, now ask them to explain their failed attempt to steal your money, finally give them the finger and find a new AP.

they had to swing the gear and might have balanced them and i would have added some profit for the owner supplied tires and tubes
If you buy your own HVAC parts and equipment and expect me to install it, then you will pay me at least 20% MU and $75/hr or you can hire someone else.

If you buy your own HVAC parts and equipment and expect me to install it, then you will pay me at least 20% MU and $75/hr or you can hire someone else.

So if I hired you to do a simple job, supplied you with the correct parts, you'd charge me for other things / Mark ups on my own stuff, or I'd need to fire you and find a honest installer?

If the job is to install my parts, that's the job, where I got parts is your business how? I know the economy is tuff, but come on dude!

So if I hired you to do a simple job, supplied you with the correct parts, you'd charge me for other things / Mark ups on my own stuff, or I'd need to fire you and find a honest installer?

If the job is to install my parts, that's the job, where I got parts is your business how? I know the economy is tuff, but come on dude!

and many FBO and repair station will simply tell you to take a hike.

Try taking groceries to a restaurant and see if they will provide you with a meal.

What kind of warranty will your HVAC installer will give you on customer supplied equipment or parts. The parts and equipment MU is part of my income. If you don't want to pay it, then find someone else or DIY. I have plenty of customers that will and they know I will warranty labor and parts on everything I install.

Because if I made it rain $100s for every half wit who threw the safety flag, I wouldn't even be able to afford top ramen, people don't get into positions where they can have a personal aircraft by always being taken advantage of, just because someone invokes "saftey" "terrorists" "the children" "racism" or whatever other lame money/power grab word, doesn't mean you just bend over and grab your ankles.

Gotta think for yourself, the only type of safety a gear swing after a tire change creates is financial saftey for some sleazy AP.

Ask the AP to show you in the factory, FAA approved, maintenance manual where it calls for the gear swing, hmmm, nothing, well...ok, ask them pull up a NTSB crash involving your aircraft type and a gear up caused by not swinging after a tire change, now ask them to explain their failed attempt to steal your money, finally give them the finger and find a new AP.
If you want my sign off you'll do it my way, that is why I have the certificate, When you find any A&P that does not have your best interest at heart , of course find one that does.

Owners with James 331's attitude is why the A&P population is getting smaller and smaller. The time when you'll not find any A&P willing to come to your hangar and work is not far away.

tom when i bought my 210 i fashioned 2 large /long hydraloc rams {ones with threaded collar locks} after the ones i had seen in the shops.the tail-weight was easy ,a cut up oil drum on wheels filled with cement and a eye hook.yes you need a few friends to help slowly jack. .it paid for itself many times over .

most auto dealers are charging $95 per hour. most fbos charge way less .what is the problem?

tom when i bought my 210 i fashioned 2 large /long hydraloc rams {ones with threaded collar locks} after the ones i had seen in the shops.the tail-weight was easy ,a cut up oil drum on wheels filled with cement and a eye hook.yes you need a few friends to help slowly jack. .it paid for itself many times over .
Did you also make a hydraulic pack

and many FBO and repair station will simply tell you to take a hike.

As I said on this topic, and I so hate repeating myself, I don't use FBOs, I hire talent.

And anyone doing un needed work, not called for in the MM or the FAR, or me, they ether won't be paid for that work, or can show them self the door.

Try taking groceries to a restaurant and see if they will provide you with a meal. ...

I see the miscommunication, you're thinking you're the restaurant, brother you ain't the restaurant, you're the cook.

What is needed is the A&P's decision.

Well, if that opinion is based on the manufactures manual and the FARs, or something special I agreed to, sure.

Otherwise, you're going to look like a fool trying to tell me how you know better than the Feds or the people who made the damn plane.

Said like you believe we should not make a fare wage.

If you can't make enough money, that's on you, I wish I had my AP, there have been quite a few opertunities I've seen to make a good living/side living with one of those cards in your wallet, well if you have any business sense and work well with folks.

Yup, tape measure and a few minutes.

If you want my sign off you'll do it my way, that is why I have the certificate, When you find any A&P that does not have your best interest at heart , of course find one that does.

I would say any mechanic who is doing un nesscary work, not called for by MMs or FARs, and can't even site one instance in the vast NTSB database where it would have prevented damage or injury, I'd say most would agree that mechanic isn't working in the pilots best interest, they are working in their own best interest.

Last edited:
Did you also make a hydraulic pack
no one guy on each jack pumping. and one guy with strap on crank flange to floor eye bolt and someone with good eyes and knowledge calling the shots.o and real good jackpads for the wing.

So what happens when the aircraft slips off of your home made jack setup, puncturing a wing, all whilst accomplishing a task not required by the Mx Manual?

So what happens when the aircraft slips off of your home made jack setup, puncturing a wing, all whilst accomplishing a task not required by the Mx Manual?

My guess
giphy.gif

Last edited:

borrowing trouble ?

Wasn't trying to start an argument. I believe in paying a fair wage. It just seemed the bill was a little excessive. We supplied Michelin tubes and Goodyear tires because we were specific about what we wanted. At The airport, they won't let you do your own maintenance. In fact they won't let you wash your own plane. You have to pay an employee. The bill said flat rate so I assume it was the same as if they bought the tires and charged us for parts.

Wasn't trying to start an argument. I believe in paying a fair wage. It just seemed the bill was a little excessive. We supplied Michelin tubes and Goodyear tires because we were specific about what we wanted. At The airport, they won't let you do your own maintenance. In fact they won't let you wash your own plane. You have to pay an employee. The bill said flat rate so I assume it was the same as if they bought the tires and charged us for parts.

Huh?!

Is it a public funded airport? I thought they couldn't pull that crap at public fields, recall seeing a FAA letter about it, I'm sure others here know more on that.

Man....that ****es me off, my tax dollars don't go into those fields so sleeze bag FBOs can get rich and take advantage of GA owners, they go to build and maintain PUBLIC fields, which are there to serve THE PUBLIC

If it were me, I'd ether ignore that BS and notify the Feds, or find a new field.

You should post the name of the airport and the FBO, little public shaming would be a good thing

my aircraft and i think back then non motion deductible was $50 so call my insurance co there is nothing in your contract saying you cant ruin your aircraft. many a ia or ap borrowed my setup instead of using theirs ,go figure.
James per your last post, after a period of time of you doing the above you would after the call to the feds loose your hangar lease by some mystery ,next no-one would work for you or sign off any of your work.and you would be the subject of airport shaming for many miles around.and would be castigated to flying drones in your back yard .the airport community is very small and can hurt you if you don't play nice.
i am guessing you dont own a aircraft anymore.

Last edited:
Lolz, so you're saying my fellow pilots would shame me for washing my own plane and changing a tire or plug one in a while? Really??

I own my amphib, got zero problems finding folks to wrench on it, they all come from recommendations so I don't run into scammers and incompetence really.

As for the airport, I've never signed a lease where I couldn't wash my plane or change a tire, but I've also not seen that on any lease or rental agreement I've seen.

Folks in my aviation community (past to present) seem to like me just fine, folks ask me to grab a beer with them often, and I never have a problem finding folks to fly with, don't know what to tell ya' :dunno:

james ma by you are only a tough guy on the interwebs

james ma by you are only a tough guy on the interwebs

Thinking I should be free to wash my own plane and change a tire without being forced to pay some 3rd party inflated rates makes me a tuff guy??

What's a james ma?

Back