average labor cost to change 2 main tires on 210?

The AC was referring to retread tires, if I remember correctly. Also, just because a tire is listed as a certain size doesn't mean they're the same diameter. I've measured a few before because I was curious how close they were.

I don't care whether you or anyone else does a retraction test or not. Some shops might want to do one however, because there is guidance suggesting doing it.

That would be a really bad retread, or you could just take 30 seconds with a tape measure.

But who am I to stand between a mechanic and his mortage payments.
It's about liability, obviously someone had a landing gear issue due it in the past.

What you would company do if you billed them, or kept a aircraft OOS longer to swing gear after a tire swap?

So there was ONE flat but he changed TWO tires? That price is not bad for changing two tires.

People in aviation just can't be explained. In all my years I have never seen any other hobby,sport or business where someone will pay THOUSANDS of dollars for a "toy", but have a **** fit when you want to charge 25$ to teach (save their life) them how to use it, or charge them a fair price to repair it. If you have the necessary certificates to exercise those services, you have a sizable investment in them, and have every right to get a fair return on that investment. But let someone pay 25K or more for a Harley (don't flame me, I have an Ultra Classic) and they think they got a deal on their oil change @ $250.00. After all they had to change 3 different reservoirs. LOL!! Good thing I never needed to earn a living in this crazy field.

its funny i am seeing the same *******s busting just for fun on a lot of threads . i am calling trolls and pilot or aircraft owner want to Be's

retract= gear swing, ask any tire mfg or seller of said parts.

retract= gear swing, ask any tire mfg or seller of said parts.
Show me. Not in the 210 maintenance manual (though it does suggest applying grease to the bearings on reassembly). It just tells you to make sure you're using the right sized tire. Not in the Goodyear documentation (again they spend a lot of time on making sure the tire is within specs in all environments). AC43 only "recommends" it if you are installing retreads.

i had a t210m for many years and it was not bastardized by the removal of the main gear doors .i went from flight custom tires to condor and it was a tight fit . there is a 210 flying around with a some missing aluminum in the gear bay.

Here is what I would charge you for:

-Jack plane and remove wheel assemblys 1/2 hr
-Clean and pack bearings 1/2 hr
-Install tube and tire 1/2 hr
-Install wheel assys 1/2 hr

2 hours labor at $80/hr...

Another example is finding bundles of old wires behind the panel that are no longer used. Owners don't want to pay for the time to remove them so it gets neglected until it is a serious problem.

Just curious but shouldn't removal of old wiring after an avionics upgrade be part of the install price? If you are in there routing new wiring how hard is it to remove the old stuff that more than likely will travel a similar route. Why not pull it at the same time? Why would it cost more in terms of hours? Also, wouldn't you have to disconnect the old wiring from its power source as part of the upgrade if it is not going to be used? This always bugs me when I hear it.

Just curious but shouldn't removal of old wiring after an avionics upgrade be part of the install price? If you are in there routing new wiring how hard is it to remove the old stuff that more than likely will travel a similar route. Why not pull it at the same time? Why would it cost more in terms of hours? Also, wouldn't you have to disconnect the old wiring from its power source as part of the upgrade if it is not going to be used? This always bugs me when I hear it.

I am not an IA nor an A&P.

It depends on the original harness design. It's not just individual wires or even individual bundles of wires from A to B. Wires route into and out of harness trunks as needed. This makes it difficult if not (practically) impossible to remove.

We don't swing for multi million dollar turboprops, tell me again hi you swing those gear for that little 210/182rg etc?

It's because that PPL pilot/owner doesn't know any better and will pay it.

Try to bill those hours out to a DOM of a 135 lol

That would sound about right if they had to remove and replace a stubborn wheel fairing. Without a fairing it seems to me it shouldn't take more than 3 hours of shop time at $95/hr to do the work (and document it).

See lots of fairings on retracts? :) (He said it was a 210...)

I wish that were so. We had an avionics guy in our shop last week and he said if it isn't a big deal, he will take the wires out but his words were, "people don't want to pay for how long it takes to do that." He does, however, properly terminate wires and remove power from all unused wires.

When I install stuff, I uninstall the old stuff but I see where he is coming from. Some wires are NOT easy or quick to get to. To remove interior panels, separate the unused wires out of the loom, and reinstall all the panels isn't a quick process.

See lots of fairings on retracts? :) (He said it was a 210...)
Thanks for the snark, but as I already mentioned to James331, I'm familiar with 210s. Since the OP said the job was fixed price, the price would make sense if it included removing and replacing a fairing, which obviously this plane does not have. I'm sorry I didn't explain my comment in excruciating detail lest someone think I'm an internet dummy. :)

For all those who do not think a gear swing is necessary on a 210, you fly it for the first flight after a tire change.

For me? it is easier to do the swing and know you are good, than the post accident NTSB BS.

Thanks for the snark, but as I already mentioned to James331, I'm familiar with 210s. Since the OP said the job was fixed price, the price would make sense if it included removing and replacing a fairing, which obviously this plane does not have. I'm sorry I didn't explain my comment in excruciating detail lest someone think I'm an internet dummy. :)

Wasn't meant as snark, it had a smiley. Was meant as : Irrelevant to the question posed.

No big deal, but he probably doesn't care why the flat rate is higher for people with more complex aircraft.

Mostly because that's dumb. Let them pay for their complex stuff they bought. Flat rate? No.

If he said it was an old 210 with gear doors... different story then. Since he didn't say...

Plus, again, who flat rates crap like that? "Oh that's our flat rate and it's the same as the guy who just has his G-V tires replaced." LOL.

Sounds more like taking advantage of someone passing through that they'll never see again, to me.

For all those who do not think a gear swing is necessary on a 210, you fly it for the first flight after a tire change.

For me? it is easier to do the swing and know you are good, than the post accident NTSB BS.

Change the tire IAW the MM, and sure, I'll make the first flight.

I've made the first flight on lots of new tires without swings

Change the tire IAW the MM, and sure, I'll make the first flight.

I've made the first flight on lots of new tires without swings
on 210s??? " yeah right!

When you are signing the return to service on your own aircraft, that is one case, but when you place your signature on others aircraft that is a different story altogether, you are liable. So the only method is to do the extra mile.

or the rest of you folks, know all of our tires are now made in south east Asia, they vary in size, and they vary in stretch, The only way you can tell if they will go into and out of the wheel is to try it.
James 331 is willing to do that on a test flight, me?? not so much.

Again, the 210 manual doesn't say SQUAT about swinging gear after tire changes. It does mention greasing the bearings after disassembly of the wheel.

, but when you place your signature on others aircraft that is a different story altogether, you are liable.

I'll just leave this like that, and not go there.

or the rest of you folks, know all of our tires are now made in south east Asia, they vary in size, and they vary in stretch, The only way you can tell if they will go into and out of the wheel is to try it.
How many of them were problems caught with the retract inspection?

Again, the 210 manual doesn't say SQUAT about swinging gear after tire changes. It does mention greasing the bearings after disassembly of the wheel.

So we should be swiging gear on the PC12s and KAs when ever we change a tire? How about jets?

So we should be swiging gear on the PC12s and KAs when ever we change a tire? How about jets?
The OP's question was about the Cessna 210. Now you try to spin it to PC-12's NOPE not going there with ya.

cessna retracts as well as Comanches have tight wells as well as sharp edges for tires to catch on. also if changing 2 mains its jacked anyway just add tail weight and off you go it. is well worth the $
eta wtf ha-pend to tom i cant believe he is in agreement. so if you are going to bust on someone make it me i started the swing thing:)

I'm in the no swing camp. You should know if the tire is right by comparison or tape measure. No need to spend the extra time. You are probably talking an hour labor to do a gear swing on a 210. They have to be jacked up really high for the gear to move freely.

Don't think there really is a camp to be in. If a task such as a gear swing is required by the AMM, then the gear gets swung. If it's not required, it's customer option. If the A&P refuses to RTS the aircraft without completing a task not required, then it's time to either find a new mech, or encourage him or her to donate their time to accomplish the task.

Again, the 210 manual doesn't say SQUAT about swinging gear after tire changes.
That's exactly right.. think why? When that manual was written tires were a lot better quality and not nearly as many brand names or re-treads on the market.[/QUOTE] I'd wager the cost of a gear swing is cheaper than the deductible on your insurance policy. Do the home work, which Cessna single engine aircraft has the highest insurance cost due to gear up landings?

Don't think there really is a camp to be in. If a task such as a gear swing is required by the AMM, then the gear gets swung. If it's not required, it's customer option. If the A&P refuses to RTS the aircraft without completing a task not required, then it's time to either find a new mech, or encourage him or her to donate their time to accomplish the task.
You'd have to ask which ass the A&P is saving his or the pilots? and price accordingly.

That's exactly right.. think why? When that manual was written tires were a lot better quality and not nearly as many brand names or re-treads on the market.
ok...lets be real. I've never heard of a gear up due to the tires binding. :confused:

Back