Average age of Car/Truck fleet reaches all time high of 11.4 years

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
From a newsletter from my Automotive/Truck Recycling Associaton (link). Since we have had some good discussions in recent past about cars and trucks, I figured some of you might find this interesting.
New Record Age of Motor Vehicles on U.S. Roads

Last week, ARA issued a press release responding to new data from R.L. Polk that showed the average age of light vehicles in the U.S. has reached an all-time high of 11.4 years, representing significant opportunities for ARA member businesses and the increased utilization of recycled, genuine OEM automotive parts.

The data comes from the latest report issued by Polk, a global automotive market intelligence research firm, which compiled information from state vehicle registration databases and reviewed over 247 million car and light truck registrations for the report. According to the report, the average age of the nation's car and lightvehicle fleet has continued to rise since 2002, a trend which has now resulted in a record high of 11.4 years. This represents an increase from 11.3 years last year and
10.8 years in 2010. In 2002, the average age of a vehicle on the road was 9.8 years.

Industry analysts have said for years that Americans are holding onto their cars for longer than ever before -- both for personal economic reasons related to the recession as well as better engineered vehicles that are simply built to last longer. According to Polk analysts, the number of vehicles older than 12 years has increased more than 20 percent and that percentage is expected to continue to rise for at least the next five years.

"We are excited about the growing opportunities illustrated by this new data for automotive recyclers to provide green, recycled parts to consumers looking for economical solutions to their automotive repair needs," said ARA President, Chris Wright, in the August 6 press release. "From do-it-yourselfers to insurance companies and the service repair community, automotive recycling businesses offer quality, recycled OEM parts replacement options."​

How much of an affect do you think the "Cash for clunkers" program had on the used car/salvage business these days? I've seen some ridiculously high prices on high mileage used cars.

How much of an affect do you think the "Cash for clunkers" program had on the used car/salvage business these days? I've seen some ridiculously high prices on high mileage used cars.

It has made it very hard to find a decent used car for under 10k around here.

I always point out that I drive 12 year old cars so I can afford to fly 50 year old airplanes.

That was 4 years ago and the ripple affect on cars and parts is still being felt.

While we did have a tremendous rise in sales and profit because I and many others were more than flush with low cost inventory (we took on nearly 400 cars at an average cost of $400 per unit versus an average of $1600-1800 when I work the auctions), I did take many very good quality and sound vehicles out of the fleet, and put many folks who had paid off their cars right back into automobile debt.

Parts wise, I'm still finding plenty of cars/trucks to fuel my business. But acquisition costs are rising from both the auction houses getting a bit too greedy on their fees (averages 12-15% of hammer price) and the influx of overseas buyers who buy the wrecked/totaled vehicle here and then ship it out of country. Often these are repaired with low cost labor and who knows what quality of parts and then shipped back in to be sold as a used car.

IMO, C4C was not the consumer and average American friendly program it was packaged to be.

We own the oldest vehicles now we have ever had . . . by several years actually -

2002 Porsche Boxster S - 46,000 miles and runs like a top - amazing. 11 years old now - so we qualify on the average age now.
2005 Mercury Mariner - USA built - hard to believe its 8 years old now - and still going strong.
2005 Mercedes ML350 - built in America, runs like a top too - only brakes and other regular maintenance. 8 years old too
2006 Mercedes CLK 500 Convertible - driven only on weekends now by my old lady - but I'm not gonna call her old - and thats 7 years old
1965 Ford Mustang, 289 V8 with factory AC - dark blue, white vinyl top - helps our average fleet age - 'bought it' restored in perfect condition from a client who needed money to pay his legal fees - he actually cried -but I think it was because I cut a deal with the IRS to keep him out of jail . . .

Joe's used car lot . . . does not include the wife's Volt she is leasing to go to work every day - gotta decide which one to sell - can't trust a 19 year old or my MIL with any of them except the Mariner or the ML350, we need a truck . . . so it actually looks like the ML350 may have to go - even thought its depreciated the most of all of them.

I wished my client owned a 1959-1964 F-100 restored - that would have fit the fleet plans better and I could have easily sold the ML-350 then . . .

Last edited:
2003 Avalanche and 1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4. Yep, we like the old ones.

I think my next car will be from the 80s.

IMO, C4C was not the consumer and average American friendly program it was packaged to be.

Cash for Clunkers was a Obama payback to his union buddies,,, The hell with the trickle down effects...:mad2::mad:

My Audi S6 is eighteen years old and has over 272k on the odometer. Still runs like a top, AC works, all four heated seats work, cruise, automatic climate control, auto dim mirrors, Bose 10 speaker stereo.... what more do you want out of a car this old?

I've owned it since 2005 and it's been a daily driver since then.

I'd have to spend atleast $55k to buy a new sedan that is better in all respects.

Any comment I might make regarding the aging fleet would push this into SZ. So I will abstain.

I wished my client owned a 1959-1964 F-100 restored - that would have fit the fleet plans better and I could have easily sold the ML-350 then . . .

I have a liking to that series of F100's too... nice appearance, and fun to do GMG style upgrades to.

Dad had a 1956 F100 "Big Window" for a while that he fully restored and upgraded to IFS, Chev454, Auto Trans, and more. The thing idled at 5 miles an hour and was a fun hot rod truck. Testament to Dad's building skills when an Aussie who only saw photos of it offered $8k over his "I'd sell if I got that number". Dad accepted and now the truck is somewhere in Victoria, AUS. Sucks because I'd like to have that truck now.

2008 Avalanche
2004 Toyota Sequoia
2000 Jeep Wrangler
1999 Jeep Cherokee

Not a surprise, we have been in that demographic for a while:

1971 Triumph Spitfire, 68k miles
1997 F250 Light Duty, 278k miles
2001 Audi A4 for my daughter 170k
2003 Audi A4 for my son 116k

Just this week, traded up to our first "this generation" vehicle since we bought the F250 in 1998: Sold the 2000 Expedition with 113k miles on CL and bought a 2007 Expedition EL with 120k miles (also on CL).

Shoot, almost forgot the 1984 International S1700 Quad Cab Dump truck with an 11' snow plow, only 89k miles! (but about to rust apart due to all it's time on the New York State Thruway).

Yakov Smirnoff: "I LOVE this country!"

After making a deal with the auto workers the buy back didn't produce more new car sales it just eliminated the available used cars available.Driving up the price of used cars not helping either the unions or the working man.Im ready for a used airplane buy back.

Out current fleet...

'97 2500 Suburban
'04 GMC Yukon
'08 Lincoln LT
'01 Mazda Miata Limited Edition w/ hardtop
'81? Ford 1210 Tractor ;)
'01 Subaru Outback

I'm "ready" for a new (or newer-ish) diesel pickup truck to replace the Suburban and Yukon.

Used, they're either beat to hell as work trucks, or already have 150,000+ miles on them towing.

I see no fiscal sense in paying $50K for one. I'm even able to write a freaking check for it, lock, stock, and barrel.

The only reasoning might be that they'll be $70K next year. Not going to chase that silliness.

The dealerships are sitting on a lot of pickup truck inventory around here right now. I counted ten $60K sticker price Ford diesels on one lot, alone. Sales guy says discounts are already at least $9850 off sticker and it's not even time to "make room" (on their balance sheet, that is) for the '14 model yet.

I can buy a lot of insurance and maintenance on the old ones for $50K. Sorry Ford dealer. Enjoy your inventory and those monthly payments on 'em.

I can buy a ton of AvGas for same.

Guess I'll just flog them. I see no reason not to when even a drivetrain failure won't cost more than $4K to replace completely with a rebuild on any of them. Engine, similar.

One of them breaks, call for the roadside assistance on the auto insurance ($7/mo), tow it home and drive one of the other ones. Find a shop who'll fix whatever it was in their slow season/days and take their time as needed. Don't need it back in any specific timeframe.

2007 Colorado
2004 Corvette

I'm below average! Wait, what?

1. Cash for Clunkers pulled a few people forward in their purchase decision, but most of the cars were sleds. Stuff that would typically wholesale for $300-1500.00. So these weren't typically cars that anyone wanted, and since it was 4+ years ago, a lot of those cars would be gone by now anyway.;)
2. Two major reasons it's hard to find good used cars right now: people have been keeping them longer and the volume of new cars produced and sold from late 2007-2009 was much less than "normal" production and sales. Just not a lot of 2008-2009 cars built, so not many on the used market. :dunno:

Interesting spin on it, John. For multiple reasons I hated the program. There were a number of "older" cars that got videoed as being destroyed that were exactly the sort of thing I'd buy. 15-20 year old European imports, etc. But those were probably the minority. Of course my cousin also turned in his "old" Explorer (with 125k or so on it) because it was "old and junky." I made some less than kind comment to him on several fronts and got back in my Excursion with 150k on it. ;)

I've heard anecdotal comments about how sad it is that folks are holding on to "old" cars because they have to. I'm sure some people are doing it out of necessity. We keep our "old" cars because we like them.

Part of me has a real hankering for an 80s Cadillac Fleetwood. I've always wanted to put a 454 in one or alternately a turbo diesel. 6.5 would probably be the easiest although a Duramax would be better. Or maybe an old box Town Car, turn the 302 into a 347 and add a blower. Or a PowerStroke 7.3. :D

I guess I feel in good company driving an old car, a 2002 Impala with over 215k miles. I take the back seat out and use it like a pickup.

Our newest car is a 2006. We're currently looking for a good MB 300CD turbo. The newest model is already 28 years old.

Our newest car is a 2006. We're currently looking for a good MB 300CD turbo. The newest model is already 28 years old.

Had the sedan with that motor, loved it. Those cars have become hippy grease machines now.

We have a 98 Buick that has 93,000 on her. She gets around 25 MPG average highway town driving.
We were going to replace it but decided why. Runs good, maint. kept up, decent gas mileage.
Everything we looked at got around the same MPG as the 98 buick so why replace her.
I paid 3000 for her in 2007, she had 53,000 on her. Since then she has been side swiped 3 times when parked with the insurance paying us a grand total of 3600 bucks.

I bought a newer car in january... 5 year old pathfinder.

Now in the market for a beater. I'm on track for a 25,000 mile year

Just image all the airport courtesy cars we could have had if they hadn't crunched the C4C cars. They'd probably be an upgrade over the existing fleet of airport courtesy cars.

2008 Chevy Impala - 83k miles
1999 VW Passat - 242k miles
2003 Jeep Wrangler - 110k-ish miles

I keep threatening to get rid of the Jeep and Passat and get either a truck or more roomy SUV, but when both of them are paid off, it's hard to justify another car payment.

Being able to do the majority of mechanical work yourself makes it an easier decision to own older vehicles. I could see how some 'city folk' would be wary of lumping around in a vehicle with 240k miles on it. I'm one of the few Application Developers that sometimes comes to work with grease under his fingernails. ;)

That was my all-time favorite car. Put 240k on it and would have kept it except for the rust.

My newest is 12 years old.

'02 Chrysler 300M
'98 Jeep Wranger
'97 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
'95 Jeep Wrangler
'95 Saturn

Average age of my fleet is 15.6 years ...

still making casual small talk about buying one of the '42 Willys CJ2A jeeps I grew up with ... that will skew my stats down a bit! :)

We have a 98 Buick that has 93,000 on her. She gets around 25 MPG average highway town driving.
We were going to replace it but decided why. Runs good, maint. kept up, decent gas mileage.
Everything we looked at got around the same MPG as the 98 buick so why replace her.
I paid 3000 for her in 2007, she had 53,000 on her. Since then she has been side swiped 3 times when parked with the insurance paying us a grand total of 3600 bucks.

The 98 LeSabre's and Park Avenue's still have some nice looks, even with today's modern stuff rolling around.

If it has the 3.8L non-turbo in it, there is an affordable and easy to install improved intake manifold that addresses some of the original design problems and wear/tear issues.

Do that, plus a good tune-up (check timing, belts, hoses, plugs, etc) and you're gonna be good for a very long time.

That car also has a well designed transmission. Keep doing a service on it on a routine basis, and you'll discover why I currently have so many of them in stock and the price is so low (demand for them = nada)

Last edited:
05 Tundra.. 140 K Daily driver

88 F-150 turbo'ed... 400K+ ... work truck

78 E-150.. work van... 300K +.

My current fleet:

'04 BMW 330i ZHP Sedan, 120k (bought cheap-ish in '11 with 104k)
'98 Chevy K1500 Z71, 176k (bought new in Jan '98)
'88 BMW M6, 192k (bought in '05) FOR SALE SOON
'99 BMW K1200RS motorcycle, 38k (bought in '03) likely for sale too
'77 Mooney, 3950 hrs (bought in '07)

Fiance has an '06 Explorer with ~85k, bought new. Hopefully it lasts

Aside from the very high new prices these days, I abhor the big, integrated screens and nav systems. The audio quality is usually terrible and hard to upgrade, the nav systems SUCK and are expensive to update, and operating radio or climate control requires menus and head-down time. I wish I had a big enough hangar and enough cash to buy a few more 2004-5 BMWs and store them for future use as I don't want the new ones. I hope the pendulum swings back towards what I value in the future so I'll have more to choose from...

2006 Range Rover HSE–70,000 miles
2004 Chevy suburban–140,000 miles
2000 Toyota land cruiser–200,000 miles

The only one that I want to sell/get rid of is the suburban. The other 2 I bought new/1-year-old and have taken very good care of them, so they still look/feel new.

The suburban had a lot wear and tear on it when we bought it, but we bought it to haul around my power wheelchair and did at a time when the doctors here told me I was a short termer and I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a car that was going to outlive me:D

I'm going to replace it with a Toyota Sequoia (post 2008 model)

05 Mercedes E320 - 95k
04 Highlander - 187k
05 Pontiac G6 - 90k

too bad Joe lives in So Cal, I'd buy that ML he's got....

My new is an '05 Tahoe I bought a year ago. I have a '96 Suburban "Tahoe". The old guy is a '93 Corvette. So my average is 15 years. Add in the '84 Warrior and....

My newest is 12 years old.

'02 Chrysler 300M
'98 Jeep Wranger
'97 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
'95 Jeep Wrangler
'95 Saturn

Average age of my fleet is 15.6 years ...

still making casual small talk about buying one of the '42 Willys CJ2A jeeps I grew up with ... that will skew my stats down a bit! :)

Do it. I want a ride. I'll even help push when it breaks down. ;)

Why two Wranglers? His and hers? Or do you have one set up for rock crawling?

2007 Dodge Charger ~150K
2006 Ford Escape ~120K
2002 VW Jetta TDI ~220K

So what is the average car mileage on the 11.4 year old cars.

Charger, Going to sell soon.
Escape, Hate it but wife likes it and will not drive Charger in winter and can not drive a stick (Jetta)
Jetta, 49MPG for the last 35K miles I have been keeping track.

59 VW fiberglass dune buggy
63 Studebaker Avanti R2
70 Lamborghini Espada
74 Matra Bagheera
83 Ferrari Mondial Cab QV
90 Porsche 928GT
92 Porsche 968
00 Dodge Ram 1500
01 VW GTI
02 Dodge Durango
02 Ford Focus
04 Mini Cooper

Definitely more than 11 years on average. I bought my kids a pair of 13 Toyota Prius(Pri-i?). Sure like driving it at 50MPG.

Definitely more than 11 years on average. I bought my kids a pair of 13 Toyota Prius(Pri-i?). Sure like driving it at 50MPG.

At least the Prii can do highway speeds.

I was stuck behind the new Ford electric on the highway a few days ago and was ****ed. Remember, I rarely exceed the speed limit and usually am over in the right lane or the next because of it.

Whatever he was feeding the squirrel it wasn't working. Fancy LED taillights I wanted to just bump a little from behind and give him a push with the Subaru. It needed help.

At least the Prii can do highway speeds.

I was stuck behind the new Ford electric on the highway a few days ago and was ****ed. Remember, I rarely exceed the speed limit and usually am over in the right lane or the next because of it.

Whatever he was feeding the squirrel it wasn't working. Fancy LED taillights I wanted to just bump a little from behind and give him a push with the Subaru. It needed help.

Yeah, the total electrics are MUCH different from the hybrids, you have a little display that tells you how much power you're using. When you need to be plugged in to refuel, you REALLY pay attention to you're driving habits!:yikes:

Back