Autonomous car is here today

I think it will enhance GA. I'd love to be able to land in a new town and just hop in a car and have it take me where I need to go. Uber is close but I have to wait for the driver and crew cars have to be returned so I can't spend the night.
When you realize that you have a car you pay for 24 hours a day but use only two to three hours a day, all of a sudden hailing a surface drone is a good idea.

Here is the killer scenario for me - it's not so much autonomous (though that's necessary), as driver-less.

Let's say going from Seattle to San Francisco:
  • Put all my luggage in the car
  • Send car off to San Francisco by itself the night before
  • Fly down to San Francisco
  • Meet car (with luggage) in San Francisco
No more struggling with luggage in the airplane, AND you have a car waiting for you at the destination.

Extend this to RV's and you can have a trip that's BOTH RV and GA. Today it's kind'a one or the other.

So here's the question - when you're on a long road trip today, would you rather be the passenger or the driver?

I'd rather be the driver.

I'd give that up if it comes with other benefits - e.g. if an autonomous car is allowed to drive at 100mph for example. But for a 1-to-1 exchange in experience, ehh.

Entirely dependent on the length of trip, and what the route is. Running out west through the panhandle of OK/TX on the straightest stretch of US412 which has zero scenery for hours? Yeah, I'll let Otto take that one. Running through the twisties in the foothills of (insert your favorite mountain range here)? I'd absolutely like to be PIC rowing through the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the killer scenario for me - it's not so much autonomous (though that's necessary), as driver-less.

Let's say going from Seattle to San Francisco:
  • Put all my luggage in the car
  • Send car off to San Francisco by itself the night before
  • Fly down to San Francisco
  • Meet car (with luggage) in San Francisco
No more struggling with luggage in the airplane, AND you have a car waiting for you at the destination.

Extend this to RV's and you can have a trip that's BOTH RV and GA. Today it's kind'a one or the other.
Already been invented. Called fedex and a rental car.

Already been invented. Called fedex and a rental car.

How does FedEx do with 6 bottles of opened spirits, tent, blow up mattresses, blankets, propane tank, gas BBQ, and fold up chairs?

The company I am working for is getting really close to autonomy in cars. We can pull up to a curb, have the driver exit and the car will find itself a parking spot and self park. www.ff.com
Maybe you can answer a question that I've had about these cars and didn't know who to ask.

How do these cars handle heavy rain, fog, snow, snow covered roads which obscure the lane markings, icy roads, etc.?

Can they handle the complex freeway interchanges which require multiple lane changes in a very short distance in heavy traffic?

Is the technology to handle these extreme conditions close?

Eventually, we don't own cars. It makes no sense for cars to spend 22 hours a day parked. The autonomous cars will stay on the roads going from one user to another as needed. What will we do with all the space freed up from the no longer needed parking lots?

I think the bigger question is, have we become that lazy where we need our car to park itself?

Last edited:
It makes no sense for cars to spend 22 hours a day parked. The autonomous cars will stay on the roads going from one user to another as needed. What will we do with all the space freed up from the no longer needed parking lots?

Yes, my car spends 22 hours parked. But the times I drive are the times everyone drives: morning rush hour, maybe lunch, then 4pm to 10pm (midnight on weekends) - those 5-8 hours are probably 90% of car use.

How will commodity cars meet demand? Massive surge pricing ? Will employers have staggered work hours or more work from home? Will I get groceries auto-delivered and not visit the store? Amazon-type delivery takes over for everything? How does this continue to change commerce?

How does this affect an increasing lack of personal interaction in our society?

When we don't own cars, we're not willing to pay for their parking spaces. Where will all the cars go when unused? How will this change architecture and urban design? When will cars be repaired? Who will own the commodity cars?

As asked earlier, what happens with vintage and historic cars? Collector cars, or just the person who won't sell the human-driven car. The average car on the road is 11.7 years old.

When autonomous gets good enough, I expect they'll discourage human-driven cars via tolls and road taxes. How else? Who's going to pay $10 per mile to drive themselves to work? Will human-driven cars get used only on weekend mornings 6-10am?

Last edited:
How does FedEx do with 6 bottles of opened spirits, tent, blow up mattresses, blankets, propane tank, gas BBQ, and fold up chairs?

Throw a party out back and pretend they lost it all, and hand you an insurance claim form? :)

Yes, my car spends 22 hours parked. But the times I drive are the times everyone drives: morning rush hour, maybe lunch, then 4pm to 10pm (midnight on weekends) - those 5-8 hours are probably 90% of car use.
I don't think it's 90% but it's certainly a big chuck. I rarely use my cars during "rush hours" so I'd likely send my remaining automated car out to earn some income during most "rush hours".

I'm sure that pool arrangements, like Uber Pool, will be available. Also, all cars will be out during rush hour with scheduled maintenance, cleaning, etc. in between rush hours. The cars don't have to be active 100% of the time to be efficient for their owners/operators.

Will I get groceries auto-delivered and not visit the store? Amazon-type delivery takes over for everything? How does this continue to change commerce?
I don't know? Do you want groceries delivered? Uber already has a delivery service. Several companies (Amazon?) have experimented with grocery delivery. I'm sure there would be some automated delivery services as well a lot of conventional shopping. I went shopping once using Uber. Works fine.

How does this affect an increasing lack of personal interaction in our society?
Not sure how that is related. Not much personal interaction going on in the majority of cars which have a single occupant. At least with an automated-Uber service you'll be free to call and text others without affecting safety.

Where will all the cars go when unused?
Out of the congested areas.

How will this change architecture and urban design?
A lot of space will be freed up for more productive uses in congested areas.

When will cars be repaired?
Whenever they need to be repaired.

Who will own the commodity cars?
Businesses and entrepreneurs.

As asked earlier, what happens with vintage and historic cars? Collector cars, or just the person who won't sell the human-driven car. The average car on the road is 11.7 years old.
The same thing that happened to cars with manual transmissions or cars without air conditioning or cars without airbags, etc. Absolutely nothing. The average number of cars per adult will decrease. Those in the cities will reduce their car ownership the fastest. Those in rural areas will be more likely to retain at least one personal car. If it's automated, it might even be able to offset some of its own costs by being available for charter (?) when the owner isn't using it.

The market works out all of these questions on its own. There's no reason for it to be master planned. If you try, you're bound to get it wrong, anyway.

My question remains, how prepared is current and imminent technology to deal with the extreme road conditions that I mentioned above? I have no idea but that will be needed before truly autonomous cars can become viable.[/quote]

Maybe you can answer a question that I've had about these cars and didn't know who to ask.

How do these cars handle heavy rain, fog, snow, snow covered roads which obscure the lane markings, icy roads, etc.?

Can they handle the complex freeway interchanges which require multiple lane changes in a very short distance in heavy traffic?

Is the technology to handle these extreme conditions close?

Eventually, we don't own cars. It makes no sense for cars to spend 22 hours a day parked. The autonomous cars will stay on the roads going from one user to another as needed. What will we do with all the space freed up from the no longer needed parking lots?

Not sure.. I am in the IT group, managing virtual infrastructure. I know the car uses LIDAR and many other sensors for self parking etc

Back