Auto on runway

Both. Are you not aware that tenants have gate access to drive up to their tie down or hangar?
No. Because neither fences or gates exist at my airport?? ((Which was the point!))

(maybe you're a bit slow on the uptake tonight!)

No. Because neither fences or gates exist at my airport (maybe you're a bit slow on the uptake tonight??)
Outside of wherever that is, you must've not been to many non-towered or controlled fields. Most have a gate or fencing of some kind surrounding them. :skeptical:

No they don't.
Oh ok. Yeah, let me rephrase that. Most airports have zero fencing or gate surrounding their perimeter, so any vehicle can voluntarily go from a public road to driving onto the tarmac. Not!

That's news to me.
:rolleyes:

Regardless, my point was that it's not that difficult of a task to gain access to most of these non-towered fields. This isn't anything new.

I am hoping that at age 70 I will still feel the need for speed.

At 58 I still have it, and planes just don't do it for me.

Oh ok. Yeah, let me rephrase that. Most airports have zero fencing or gate surrounding their perimeter, so any vehicle can voluntarily go from a public road to driving onto the tarmac. Not!
For many of your more rural airports that's the case.

I satisfied my rush for speed with this...

photo.jpg

My home field is untowered, within 25 miles of downtown Atlanta, and has 100+ aircraft based there including a couple dozen jets. It is fenced along one and a half of the 3 roads that abut it. The treeline adjacent to the runway is unfenced. You could drive onto the field from several points if you wanted. This isn't an unusual circumstance. Of the half dozen fields I frequent, a couple seem to be fully fenced, but most are partially fenced to keep the really dumb riff-raff and the occasional loose toddler off of the ramp.

Just because there is a fence between the parking lot and the ramp doesn't mean the field is really fenced.

Outside of wherever that is, you must've not been to many non-towered or controlled fields. Most have a gate or fencing of some kind surrounding them. :skeptical:
Actually, I've landed in 37 states and many have no controlled access. If they have fences and gates they're not locked.

For many of your more rural airports that's the case.
And my home base is one of them. I'm just saying the average airport has some type of restriction. I've been to several towered and non-towered fields in different states through the years and I can only think of one or two that had little security.

That's way beyond the purpose of my post, however. Point being is that what we're reading about in the OP's article, isn't some rare feat.

69 I have it, but not sure if I should buy a motosickle...

Don't. People only see what they expect. They expect cars, they don't expect motorcycles. Hence you are invisible to the majority of motorists. Sooner or later someone will try to kill you. And the fatality rate in your age demographic is unsettling at best. That, and the least little get off will put you out of commission for a long time.

Not the first time that's happened on a runway, and will happen again. Hellcat Challenger is a bunch of horsies, 707.

$64,890
2 doors, 5 passengers, rear-wheel drive; 13/21 mpg city/hwy (est)
6.2-liter 8-cylinder engine; 707 hp, 650 lb-ft; 6-speed manual transmission

th
What is it with Hellcats and Colorado? The first one sold in Colorado was wrecked on the way home from the dealer.

http://jalopnik.com/first-hellcat-sold-in-colorado-wrecked-an-hour-after-pu-1673994344

Wondered how long it would take for someone to catch that.

Malapropism? Don't you need to seek medical attention if you've had that for more than 4 hours?

And all this time I thought a malapropism was concomitant with the mechanic pulling it to send in for blade and hub overhaul. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A guy walked across the runway at Norton AFB back in the early 70s, drunk, from the desert side of the base. C-141s were launching - we was dumfounded; I called ground from the cockpit, and the sky cops rounded him up. He was wearing a buckskin jacket with fringe. . .weird thing to remember; anyway, they beat him like a red-headed step child and heaved him into a pickup truck.

You are flying at too high an altitude. Try something lower. It'll change your perspective. Perhaps gocart height...;)

You are flying at too high an altitude. Try something lower. It'll change your perspective. Perhaps gocart height...;)

I used to do just that in Alaska..... whoa.... who said that..???

A guy walked across the runway at Norton AFB back in the early 70s, drunk, from the desert side of the base. C-141s were launching - we was dumfounded; I called ground from the cockpit, and the sky cops rounded him up. He was wearing a buckskin jacket with fringe. . .weird thing to remember; anyway, they beat him like a red-headed step child and heaved him into a pickup truck.

When I worked the tower at Eglin AFB noticed someone on the runway, jogging right down runway 19 and we had birds up but out in the gulf or wherever.I went out on the catwalk and hollered to get off the runway, and she waves back. Wish an F-15 could've done a nice low low approach...

SPs got her, turn out to be a Maj and nurse.

When I worked the tower at Eglin AFB noticed someone on the runway, jogging right down runway 19 and we had birds up but out in the gulf or wherever.I went out on the catwalk and hollered to get off the runway, and she waves back. Wish an F-15 could've done a nice low low approach...

SPs got her, turn out to be a Maj and nurse.

Just what was she thinking..??? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Shows how little the general public understand about General Aviation.

There is an airport in this area that shuts down for a weekend every year for a Cadillac racing event. The same airport is really popular for flying in for Saturday breakfast since there is a cafe across the street. On a nice Saturday morning there will be at least twenty planes tied down at any one time. Granted, they should check Notams before departing for their hundred dollar omelet, but I believe it is an accident waiting to happen. It should be no surprise that the airport manager is a non Pilot.

If that airport had accepted Federal Airport Improvement funds, they would be in violation of the grant assurances and could run afoul of the FAA for allowing non aeronautical use. Many airports have been nailed for just this.

Regardless, my point was that it's not that difficult of a task to gain access to most of these non-towered fields. This isn't anything new.

B-b-but Airplane Repo on Discovery Channel... :rolleyes:

And that's exactly the way I ride... like everybody is out to kill me. ;)
Yup. Also why I won' give up a sport bike any time soon. Fun story. One of my buddies was hooked on Top Gear. Every week at lunch he'd tell me about all these high end European sports cars. I'd very nonchalantly tell him that my $6K sport bike could leave them all in the dust, which it could.

For that car on 8300 feet, 100 mph is extremely slow. They must have been well into the braking mode.
Yup...7300 ft of gravel road with my '72 Olds 88/455 four-barrel got to 120 and back down to 50 before bounding across the intersection. But it was kind of a dog. ;)

Faster than 50 over the intersection, it would bottom out and scrap a lot of gravel.

Yup...7300 ft of gravel road with my '72 Olds 88/455 four-barrel got to 120 and back down to 50 before bounding across the intersection. But it was kind of a dog. ;)

Faster than 50 over the intersection, it would bottom out and scrap a lot of gravel.

First time I drove over 100 was in a 1970 Ford Galaxy, 351 Windsor, 2bbl, 4 door land barge.

I was 15.

"Second Hand Lions" style? Just used a car instead??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Why not? The older you get, the more risks you can take, since the opportunity cost of buying the farm is lower.

After watching both my in-laws and my mother slowly decline, become incapacitated, and die, I'm beginning to believe it's better to pound in than to fade out.

First time I drove over 100 was in a 1970 Ford Galaxy, 351 Windsor, 2bbl, 4 door land barge.

I was 15.
A very used 1977 Honda Accord here. 68hp when new and probably a bit less at the time. I was a year or two older than you were.

I had a '71 Pontiac Grand Prix. Can't recall which engine. Hit 120 on a two-lane back road during the wee hours. Went airborne at a RR crossing, but nothing like those guys. 16 y.o. at the time. I did my share of dumb teen sh*t.

Had a late 60's mustang. it'd start being airborne around 105 indicated. Dunno true airspeed. That car definitely needed an air dam...

"Officer, did either of them say anything when they went airborne?"

"Yes, one of them said, 'Gear Up.'"

Blame Bob Stevens.....

Ron Wanttaja

One of my favorite cartoonists. I pretty much have every cartoon of "There I Was--Flat on My Back" memorized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back