Auto on runway

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
Local TV and newspapers are reporting that at Buena Vista, CO KAEJ, two 70's men in a high performance auto were given permission to go onto the runway. Sheriff reports they were going over 100-MPH when they ran out of runway. They went airborne, then hit a gully and went airborne again, flipping end to end before stopping some 635-feet past the end of the runway. Both men were fatally injured.

Who gave them "permission?" - I saw no NOTAM....am flying out of airport 20-miles south of KAEJ and will have to be darn cautious if landing there....

Sorry business all around.

Not the first time that's happened on a runway, and will happen again. Hellcat Challenger is a bunch of horsies, 707.

$64,890
2 doors, 5 passengers, rear-wheel drive; 13/21 mpg city/hwy (est)
6.2-liter 8-cylinder engine; 707 hp, 650 lb-ft; 6-speed manual transmission

th

Last edited:
I once had a car pull onto the runway when I was getting ready to land. I think it was a Fod Mustang.

Last edited:
Scratch one Hellcat off the list. Use the 1000 footer as a place to start braking.

I took a go kart that was built for speed on a runway. I started braking at the 500 foot marker and got stopped right at the threshold line, which was the beginning of the little runway. The GPS recorded a top speed of a little over 120mph. With my butt a few inches off the ground, I felt like I was moving at the speed of light....

2 friends that grew up in the muscle car era and went out together at high speed.

A friend of mine regularly runs his cars on the local airport runway. Last time I was up there we took his Super Bird out for a ride. Course it helps that he's in good with the FBO operator, and that he and his brother built the majority of the hangers there. ;)

Sweet collection! Superbird, wow, cool car. I remember when a coworker bought a new one. Used to see them cruising around occasionally back then.

Not the first time that's happened on a runway, and will happen again. Hellcat Challenger is a bunch of horsies, 707.

$64,890
2 doors, 5 passengers, rear-wheel drive; 13/21 mpg city/hwy (est)
6.2-liter 8-cylinder engine; 707 hp, 650 lb-ft; 6-speed manual transmission

th

If I hadn't bought my plane I mighta went the Hellcat route

Wondered how long it would take for someone to get it.

Malapropism? Don't you need to seek medical attention if you've had that for more than 4 hours?

Knew some guys that caught that in Korea.

I got picked up by a cousin at an untoward and unpeopled airport. On dropping me off he wanted to take his car out on the runway. I discouraged him talking about regulations and whatnot, but my real fear was he would wind up like those two fellows. Someone not used to that environment could easily wait to long to hit the brakes.

Testing 1/4 mile times on a 1.6 mile runway? Either they were going much faster than 100mph or they were doing a lot more wrong than just crashing.

I can't remember where I was but I was at an airfield that NOTAMED closed every Friday night so the locals could hold informal drag strip races. City figured it was better to give them a place to do it rather than the streets.

A friend of mine regularly runs his cars on the local airport runway. Last time I was up there we took his Super Bird out for a ride. Course it helps that he's in good with the FBO operator, and that he and his brother built the majority of the hangers there. ;)

Absolutely cool..!!!!

Sad part is I remember when cars like in this collection were second hand used cars...... and worse part is I did not buy any of them...

Yup, kick myself for not buying a '69 Vette 427/435....but then I'd have died.

Sad part is I remember when cars like in this collection were second hand used cars.
I bought a "69 Nova SS with 396 cu engine and 4 spd Muncie when I was in high school for $700. At that time it was a 10 year old car with a little body damage. Same "factory" car today in decent shape would easily fetch $50k. Stupid me, I throw a 383 stroker and a Turbo 400 in it and totally devalued it. :mad2:

I can't remember where I was but I was at an airfield that NOTAMED closed every Friday night so the locals could hold informal drag strip races. City figured it was better to give them a place to do it rather than the streets.

Shows how little the general public understand about General Aviation.

There is an airport in this area that shuts down for a weekend every year for a Cadillac racing event. The same airport is really popular for flying in for Saturday breakfast since there is a cafe across the street. On a nice Saturday morning there will be at least twenty planes tied down at any one time. Granted, they should check Notams before departing for their hundred dollar omelet, but I believe it is an accident waiting to happen. It should be no surprise that the airport manager is a non Pilot.

I bought a "69 Nova SS with 396 cu engine and 4 spd Muncie when I was in high school for $700. At that time it was a 10 year old car with a little body damage. Same "factory" car today in decent shape would easily fetch $50k. Stupid me, I throw a 383 stroker and a Turbo 400 in it and totally devalued it. :mad2:

I took a driving nice '67 Chevelle SS and gutted it to make a dirt track car. Black, 396ci, 4 speed. This one even had power brakes and power steering.:loco:

Someone not used to that environment could easily wait to long to hit the brakes.
With how wide most runways are and how relatively featureless the edges are I can easily see how one would lose perspective and wait far too long to hit the brakes... Gotta pick a point at which you start slowing down!

There is a dude at D54 who roller blades every morning on the runway, the taxiway is as long, but Nopes he will always be on the runway. Glad he carries a radio and keeps he eye out for flying aluminium, but still...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

With how wide most runways are and how relatively featureless the edges are I can easily see how one would lose perspective and wait far too long to hit the brakes... Gotta pick a point at which you start slowing down!

That, or stick your arms out the window and see if the thing will actually fly...

That, or stick your arms out the window and see if the thing will actually fly...
Or put some cardboard wings .... Worked for our E-man

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Local TV and newspapers are reporting that at Buena Vista, CO KAEJ, two 70's men in a high performance auto were given permission to go onto the runway. Sheriff reports they were going over 100-MPH when they ran out of runway. They went airborne, then hit a gully and went airborne again, flipping end to end before stopping some 635-feet past the end of the runway. Both men were fatally injured.

Who gave them "permission?" - I saw no NOTAM....am flying out of airport 20-miles south of KAEJ and will have to be darn cautious if landing there....

Sorry business all around.

On railroad forums I participate in we have a saying for that. "You can't fix stupid".

Went to school with a kid that had the baddest 454 Camaro around, yeah, he died in it at 16.

And the beat goes on. Back in the late fifties when I was in high school a couple of guys I knew bought the farm in a similar manner. They lacked judgement and it cost them their lives.

Two guys, just trying to re live their youth,so sad. May they RIP

"Officer, did either of them say anything when they went airborne?"

"Yes, one of them said, 'Gear Up.'"

Blame Bob Stevens.....

Ron Wanttaja

Two guys, just trying to re live their youth,so sad. May they RIP
If I'm going to go, that's the way I'd want to go. Doing something I enjoy! What's sad is he took his buddy with him. That's not cool.:(

I remember when I was young and dumb. My boss didn't believe me that I had a P/U that would do 140 mph. So naturally I take him out and prove it. He was a believer after that ride. In hindsight, so many things could have gone wrong at those speeds.

At least once a year a teenager goes off the end of my local "sleepy rural" runway. Three have this year.

FOD mustangs...lmao

I'm not quite understanding what makes this so news worthy. Anybody who has an airplane hangared or tied down at a non-towered field like this, has gate access to drive onto the ramp and to their aircraft. It's not a difficult feat to have entry by any means.

Airport was probably slow and the two drove out on the runway and tested their limits. Nothing new here IMO.

Anybody who has an airplane hangared or tied down at a non-towered field like this, has gate access to drive onto the ramp and to their aircraft.

Gate? Fence? What are these things of which you speak?

Back