Austin, TX

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I got great recommendations for OKC last week and followed them (Cattleman's Steakhouse and National Memorial). It looks like I'll be in Austin tomorrow with some time to kill. I know it's last minute, but any ideas???

I got great recommendations for OKC last week and followed them (Cattleman's Steakhouse and National Memorial). It looks like I'll be in Austin tomorrow with some time to kill. I know it's last minute, but any ideas???

Lockhart, Texas. Kreuz's Bar-b-que.

South of Austin: The Salt Lick. Bar-b-que

Austin proper: Choice of places on 6th Street.

State Capital building.

Some here might try and get you to go visit UT. Resist if you can ;) (exception made for the LBJ library).

It's too cold for Hippie Hollow... :yikes:

How long will you be there? During the day or RON? Will you have a car or crew car only? Going to Bergstrom (AUS) or some other spot?

Lockhart, Texas. Kreuz's Bar-b-que.

South of Austin: The Salt Lick. Bar-b-que

Austin proper: Choice of places on 6th Street.

State Capital building.

Some here might try and get you to go visit UT. Resist if you can ;) (exception made for the LBJ library).

It's too cold for Hippie Hollow... :yikes:

All good suggestions. I like some of the places to eat along Barton Springs between Lamar and Mopac. Shady Grove is kind of cool. Love their Queso Catfish. There is also Baby A's down there (mexican food) and Romeo's (Italian).

Threadgills is another Austin favorite..great down home food. It's close to downtown on W. Riverside, just across Lady Bird Lake from downtown. My favorite mexican place is a little hole in wall little cafe on East 6th called Dario's. My second favorite mexican is Matt's on N. Lamar. There are too many good ones to mention though.

If you like Thai food, there is a little tiny place called Little Thailand near the ABIA (AUS), that is literally a mobile home-turned resturant that has been there since the 1980's to cater to personnel from Bergstrom Air Base. It doesn't look like much, but it is the best real Thai food anywhere and you couldn't find nicer more accommodating owners. Sadly Dick, the guy who ran it passed on last June, but his wife Surin and her sister Malee is keeping it going. It can be hard to find though. Look for the water tower on Hwy 71 from the airport towards Bastrop about 8 miles. It's underneath it.

I personally avoid 6th street at night. Too many drunks and a little too wild for my taste. If you like to party though, it's one big 10 block party starting at dusk.

Other than food, other things to do this time of year:

Zilker Park Trail of Lights

Several Austin Historic to tours downtown.

Bob Bullock Texas History Museum

The Salt Lick BBQ(more like SW of austin in Driftwood.. 20-30 mins out..)..
They have a sweet habanero sauce that has the flavor without the heat.
The family style ribs all you can eat.. muy delicioso!

Its worth it.

Cash only. ATM in the lobby.

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/locations_driftwood.html

If you are arriving commercial to ABIA, then they have an outlet inside the airport.. Not quite the same.. but it will do.

How long will you be there? During the day or RON? Will you have a car or crew car only? Going to Bergstrom (AUS) or some other spot?
We're supposed to be wheels up at 9AM this morning. Making a quick stop in south
Georgia and then straight to AUS. I expect the other pilot and I will have a car. The plan now is to be back here in Georgia tonight.

OK, if you want to see some countryside and do something "airporty" just drive west across the south end of town. County line, Oasis, and a bunch of other places are all scattered out on the southwest side, and all are good. Or P. F. Changs at the galleria by Lakeway is always worth a stop.

Then drive on up to Lakeway (another 10 minutes) and see what's going on at the little airport. Usually somebody to talk to about something. It's a good chance to see a little more of the hill country that kinda starts on the west side of town, and more relaxing than going down to U. T. area, known by the locals as "the land of no place to park."

But kids are out of school, so maybe it's easier this week. Looks like a nice day for it. Have fun.

We're supposed to be wheels up at 9AM this morning. Making a quick stop in south
Georgia and then straight to AUS. I expect the other pilot and I will have a car. The plan now is to be back here in Georgia tonight.

OK, if you want to see some countryside and do something "airporty" just drive west across the south end of town. County line, Oasis, and a bunch of other places are all scattered out on the southwest side, and all are good. Or P. F. Changs at the galleria by Lakeway is always worth a stop.

Then drive on up to Lakeway (another 10 minutes) and see what's going on at the little airport. Usually somebody to talk to about something. It's a good chance to see a little more of the hill country that kinda starts on the west side of town, and more relaxing than going down to U. T. area, known by the locals as "the land of no place to park."

But kids are out of school, so maybe it's easier this week. Looks like a nice day for it. Have fun.

On Sunday, the buffet brunch at Lakeway is pretty good, too.

The burgers at the golf club on the road to the lodge are above average too, just dunno if they're open on Monday
On Sunday, the buffet brunch at Lakeway is pretty good, too.

The Salt Lick BBQ(more like SW of austin in Driftwood.. 20-30 mins out..)..
They have a sweet habanero sauce that has the flavor without the heat.
The family style ribs all you can eat.. muy delicioso!

Its worth it.

Cash only. ATM in the lobby.

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/locations_driftwood.html

If you are arriving commercial to ABIA, then they have an outlet inside the airport.. Not quite the same.. but it will do.

It's BYOB, so don't forget a cooler of beer.

Hula Hut is a fun place down on the river. Loud.

I really liked County Line BBQ. http://www.countyline.com/

But, there are a lot of wonderful places there.

Best,

Dave

Just remember - you don't need to order the "all you can eat" plate. I've found the regular plates are all I can eat. Good place. Add a Shiner Bock and you're all set (as long as you aren't flying within 8 hours). :D

Back