Attendants or Self-Serve Gas Pumps

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
What say you?

When I go up to NJ to visit family, the gas stations there have attendants (state employees?) who pump your gas. In AL we have self-serve, as do most states. Self-serve IMO is much better, quicker, etc.

On this side of the country I'm only too stupid to be allowed to pump my own gas in Oregon. I guess their attendants have more pull in the state government than in other states. The funny thing is that gas is typically less expensive in Oregon than it is in Washington where we have self-serve. Go figure. Must be because of our outrageous taxes on the stuff.

What states do not allow self service fuel for cars? I know about New Jersey and Oregon. This topic came up with a friend and I know I was in another state that did not allow it but can not remember which one.

Other than the states where it is required, are there any full service gas stations anymore?

Other than the states where it is required, are there any full service gas stations anymore?

Not necessarily "full service", but in California if you have a disabled placard, the attendant is supposed to come out an fill your tank (assuming some criteria are met) at the "self-serve" price.

Yes.

The one local gas station guy in my town fills every tank and wipes the windows with a smile. He calls it self serve, though. He'll check fluids and fill tires on request. Nothing "self" about it. It IS a bit pricey for local gasoline, but not too far out of line.

He hangs out in the coffee house across the street to shoot the breeze with the old fart regulars in between cars.

They had a shop onsite until rather recently, but not any longer. There is one guy up the street who does house calls (and he hangs out in the coffee house, too), and another more traditional shop south of town. Not enough work for that many outfits in such a small town. Well, there is seasonal work when the tourists swarm.

Last edited:
I'll usually just pump my own but if it's full service i don't really care.

A few years ago I stopped in a small town in west Texas for fuel. I pulled up and before I could get out a small, very elderly man came up and started pumping diesel. As I got out he had already started on the windshield and asked me to pop the hood. I did, but told him the oil is fine. He checked it anyway, then finished the fuel.

I apologized to him saying I thought I was on the self serve pump. He looked at me, then said "They told me not to do this anymore. I have owned this station since 1955 and there is no %&$# way I'll stop giving full service."

He must have been over 80.

In Argentina (the whole country), attendants must pump your gas. It's much slower; at busy places there are often lines of people waiting for gas, like the 1970s in the US. But good luck to any politician who wants to propose changing the law that kills their jobs. Populism.

But what if the attendants dressed like meteorologists?

Why would you want them to look like this:

4903740.jpg

Honestly, half the reason I got a diesel pickup is that in Oregon you can pump your own diesel, but many stations still won't allow it, so I also got a card-lock account(not allowed for personal accounts for gasoline), finally freedom to pump my own fuel again.

Back