ATOP: 737 sim time: worth it?

whereisrandall

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Randall Williams
Has anybody done the ATOP course at DFW for 737/A320?

I have zero aspirations to fly those birds, but I might be interested in smaller jets in the coming decades. My folks are near DFW, so logistics are easy.

Does it make sense to drop $500 for a weekend of big jet familiarization and an hour of sim time, or are there better ways to get that elsewhere in a jet more like something I might actually fly?

I've been wanting to do it for a while. Interested in this as well. Also wondering if there's a substantial difference in their DFW vs FL location?

DFW is close enough I could possibly fly myself there. FL is too far.

I did ATOP a long time ago (1999), back when it was based at UAL in Denver. It was a fun weekend, a couple of days going over the systems, time in the procedural sims and then a couple of circuits at KDEN in the Level D. I thought it was worth the money for a fun weekend.

There are others around now. http://boston.flightexperience.com/the-simulator/ is one, looks a bit cheaper. Probably less time spent on systems, and more time having fun flying. Not a level D sim, though.

For the money, I thought it was worth it at the time. Didn't know they were still going!

Meh, I'd spend my money elsewhere.

500 of acro or Tailwheel or glider would probably help you more, or 500 in whatever type you want to end up flying.

If you just want something fun to do in aviation, it will be $500 well spent.

If you want to actually learn and advance your flying skills, than that money can be put to much better use.

Had a friend get me into the 737 sim from a major carrier. Was fun ,another flying thing to cross off the bucket list.

can you get a high altitude endorsement in a sim like that?

Appears it is possible

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/active-pilots/ratings-and-endorsements/other-ratings

"To meet the flight training requirements, you will need to receive and log training from an authorized instructor in a pressurized aircraft (remember the definition of a pressurized aircraft), or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative or a pressurized aircraft. The flight training must include at least the following subjects:

• Normal cruise flight operations while operating above 25,000 feet msl.
  • Proper emergency procedures for simulated rapid decompression without actually depressurizing the aircraft.
  • Emergency descent procedures."

They offer it as an option.

On the other hand, I assume any checkout in an aircraft capable of high altitude Ops would include this.

Heck... You can get a type rating in a sim like that.
Sadly you can't. It's not a 'Simulator', its a 'Flight Training Device". Great for learning procedures & flows, great for some fun, but you're not going to see much real training value as a licensed pilot. I may be a little jaded flying airliners for a day job, but find a good tailwheel instructor and learn to land on dry riverbeds et al; that'll make you a better pilot..

If you just want something fun to do in aviation, it will be $500 well spent.

If you want to actually learn and advance your flying skills, than that money can be put to much better use.

^^^
That says it in a nutshell.

I took the 737 ATOP course in July 2015 in Dallas as "something fun to do in aviation". I very much enjoyed it. And yes, you do get the high altitude endorsement if you want to pay extra for it. That is done on a FTD, not the full sim. The sim time comes at the very end and is the carrot on the stick. First, you sit through a day and a half of systems, procedures, flows, etc. A lot of information in a short period of time. It's like drinking from a firehose The sim time is split, I think it's 15 minutes left seat, 15 minutes right seat, and 30 minutes observing, or something like that. The instructor will tailor the sim time to your experience level. Since I am instrument rated, he made my approaches IFR. He turned up the weather on the 2nd approach - lightning, turbulence, etc. It was a fun experience, overall. I would recommend it to someone who just wants to get a brief taste of the big iron experience.

Sadly you can't. It's not a 'Simulator', its a 'Flight Training Device". Great for learning procedures & flows, great for some fun, but you're not going to see much real training value as a licensed pilot. I may be a little jaded flying airliners for a day job, but find a good tailwheel instructor and learn to land on dry riverbeds et al; that'll make you a better pilot..
Didn't know that. I assumed it was a full blown sim.

737.......YUCK !!!! I hated that aircraft ! Always something broken on it, always banging my knee on that damn stupid trim wheel. Crazy-fast approach speeds on the NGs. You can have it. To pay money to fly a simulated Guppy would be like paying money to have sex with Hillary Clinton - just ain't worth the aggravation.

Back