Atomic Bomb Pictorial

I've hunted down a lot of historical stuff about those but never seen those photos. Thanks for sharing.

Incredible photos, thanks!

Did you know that the first atomic bomb to be detonated was assembled at McDonald's? It was! The test at the Trinity site in what is now the White Sands Missile Range used weapons parts that were trucked down from Los Alamos. Final assembly was done in a farm house not far from the tower where the weapon was detonated. That farm house was owned by the McDonald family. It is a good trivia question.

Did you know that the first atomic bomb to be detonated was assembled at McDonald's? It was! The test at the Trinity site in what is now the White Sands Missile Range used weapons parts that were trucked down from Los Alamos. Final assembly was done in a farm house not far from the tower where the weapon was detonated. That farm house was owned by the McDonald family. It is a good trivia question.

I keep meaning to go join the vehicle caravan for the annual opening of Trinity to the public and go see some green glass under leadded-glass boxes. It's one of those trips I want to do but never seem to have or make time for.

Nice. They don't make bombs like that any more...

Rich

Very interesting ,always wondered how they got fat boy in the aircraft. Thanks

Last edited:
Nice. They don't make bombs like that any more...

Rich

That's for sure! They were not really sure what would happen when they touched off the first one! They thought it might start a chain reaction that would blow up the world! Also consider the aircraft, the B29 which had terrible engines, often causing crashes on takeoff, in air fires, etc. And then there was Oppenheimer , the lead scientist, who's career was ruined by false accusations during the idiot McCarthyism period, with probably a hint of his being Jewish thrown in. Best seller on this not long ago.

Interesting to look at the bomb casings, and the baggage carts, etc.
The casing is an industrial fabrication simply welded up from steel.
Today, that casing would be machined from a metal billet in one piece making it a multimillion dollar part cut out of unobtanium.
Those baggage carts would be electrically powered, gyro stabilized, with advanced computers on board. And every movement of the hydraulic hoist would be computed and authorized before it lifted twenty thousandths and stopped and then do it all over again.
But there was a war on and the criteria was make it work - not make work for 150 department supervisors and managers.
So they just let the physicists make up a drawing of the casing on paper and hand it to the machine shop. The hydraulic hoist was controlled by guy pushing on a valve handle just like Jiffy Lube.

And I was going to add a sentence that if we fought a war today, with today's PC managers, every document vetted for sexism, racism, or any other ism, etc. that we might not win.
The it occurred to me that we have NOT won a war since 1945.
I wonder why?

I keep meaning to go join the vehicle caravan for the annual opening of Trinity to the public and go see some green glass under leadded-glass boxes. It's one of those trips I want to do but never seem to have or make time for.

I think it is worth it. We did the caravan from the south. Lots of interesting stuff on the drive. Have to guess what most of it is. If you don't want the long drive, the north gate is much closer to the site. Not much there but gets you mind working. Old farmhouse is still there.

If you like piece of history you can start with Los Alamos.

And I was going to add a sentence that if we fought a war today, with today's PC managers, every document vetted for sexism, racism, or any other ism, etc. that we might not win.
I wonder why?

Congress hasn't declared War since then, either. They've authorized "extended military engagements" or pandered to the United Nations to make resolutions, but no formal declarations of War.

Congress hasn't declared War since then, either. They've authorized "extended military engagements" or pandered to the United Nations to make resolutions, but no formal declarations of War.

It's because no one has declared war on us since Japan, sneak attack, then nazi germany declared war on us. Americans back then wanted no part of war. Since then it's been so called " preemptive" wars , that is wars "that we'd better fight before we are attacked....." Just in case". A lot of this is brought on by the military industrial complex that Dwight Eisenhower warned us about. Vietnam is a classic as are Afghanistan and Iraq. All based on fear and getting the lemmings upset. Lobbyists for defense contractors are also constantly active with big money behind them. These are mainly who we " pander to".

It's because no one has declared war on us since Japan, sneak attack, then nazi germany declared war on us. Americans back then wanted no part of war. Since then it's been so called " preemptive" wars , that is wars "that we'd better fight before we are attacked....." Just in case". A lot of this is brought on by the military industrial complex that Dwight Eisenhower warned us about. Vietnam is a classic as are Afghanistan and Iraq. All based on fear and getting the lemmings upset. Lobbyists for defense contractors are also constantly active with big money behind them. These are mainly who we " pander to".

Wow, I guess 9/11 was my imagination then.

I wonder why?

I don't see how you can count the first war on Iraq as anything other than a resounding victory. We also won the second one, as well as the war in Afghanistan, although the peace was somewhat botched in both cases.

Wow, I guess 9/11 was my imagination then.

No, it was the reaction to it that was totally wrong. Benladen was from Saudi arabia as were the majority of those who attacked us.many of the benladen family were in the U.S. At the time. the FBI wanted to question them. They were allowed to leave immed. On a private aircraft on orders from "above" . Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11. It was totally fabricated and a lie based on fabricated intelligence. ( similar to LBJ and the supposed gulf of Tonkien "attack". ) if it had been true then we should have declared war and started the draft immed. And should in any future engagement we are involved in. It's why the major industrial powers with the exception of England, were reluctant to join in as they did in the first gulf war. They smelled a rat. They were right. We won nothing and in the process set the whole middle east upside down. Historians are calling it a total disaster for the U.S.

Since 1945 we have been unwilling to fight decisively, ruthlessly, and for the win. By fighting fairly, compassionately, and for the tie, our engagements have lasted far too long, and were far too costly for our GIs.

We have lost our will to draw blood, and that will be our downfall.

Since 1945 we have been unwilling to fight decisively, ruthlessly, and for the win. By fighting fairly, compassionately, and for the tie, our engagements have lasted far too long, and were far too costly for our GIs.

We have lost our will to draw blood, and that will be our downfall.

Sounds about right.

No, it was the reaction to it that was totally wrong. Benladen was from Saudi arabia as were the majority of those who attacked us.many of the benladen family were in the U.S. At the time. the FBI wanted to question them. They were allowed to leave immed. On a private aircraft on orders from "above" . Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11. It was totally fabricated and a lie based on fabricated intelligence. ( similar to LBJ and the supposed gulf of Tonkien "attack". ) if it had been true then we should have declared war and started the draft immed. And should in any future engagement we are involved in. It's why the major industrial powers with the exception of England, were reluctant to join in as they did in the first gulf war. They smelled a rat. They were right. We won nothing and in the process set the whole middle east upside down. Historians are calling it a total disaster for the U.S.

The muslim have been fighting the world since the 11th century, and fighting the US since 1804.

The middle east has been upside down ever since one man, Jesus, was born.

I don't think anything the US has done in the last 50 years has made any difference.

The tired boring Eisenhower quote is always entertaining in light of how it came to be the centerpiece of that particular speech. Especially considering what a poor tactician Ike was.

Few realize that he originally wrote the speech with the military-industrial complex as the minor warning and as a ramp up in the speech to a larger warning he wanted to give about the power of the national Press.

His advisors told him to remove it, or the Press would get wind of it, and the heads of the national broadcast networks would simply replace his speech with a baseball game on their broadcast schedules. It was cut from the draft speech.

Guess who likes to replay the footage of that speech, regularly, to this day? He handed the people whom he wanted to warn us all about, even more than the military-industrial complex, the perfect scapegoat.

Any time the Press needs to remove the spotlight from themselves as the instigators of War, all they have to do is fire up the re-runs.

Pardon me, but this post is quite idiotic.

Delusional Jimmy, you really need to get help for your liberal disorder.

There are good arguments against the second war on Iraq, but in post #17 you appeared to be objecting to the war on Afghanistan as well. Given that Afghanistan was protecting the people behind the 9/11 attacks, that doesn't make much sense.

Nope. It goes back 4500 years or so to Abraham's two sons, Ishmael and Isaac.

Dan

The muslim have been fighting the world since the 11th century, and fighting the US since 1804.

I don't think anything the US has done in the last 50 years has made any difference.

You need to READ history! You should be embarrassed to make that statement. Start with the overthrow of a democracy in Iran by the CIA! Get a grip!

You need to READ history! You should be embarrassed to make that statement. Start with the overthrow of a democracy in Iran by the CIA! Get a grip!

ROFL... I believe the gentleman gave you a significant date long before Iran and the CIA were playing cat and mouse games, oh...

Sometime not too long after the founding date of the United States Marine Corps...

And maybe, just maybe around the time of their first significant battle.

You may want to look up who they were tasked to go fight with, if you think the problem started with the CIA and Iran there, Mr. History-reader.

They may have been called "Barbary Pirates", or alternatively, "Ottoman Corsairs".

Don't worry. If you missed it in your history books it's understandable. It only lasted from the 16th to 19th centuries, and only 1.2 million people were captured and sold into slavery.

Easy to miss, only being 300-400 years or so. Definitely CIA/Iran only a few decades ago and so close to our modern times, is way more important in those world history books you're reading.

C'mon you guys...don't cause an interesting thread to be deleted by bickering like children.

I noticed a couple of errors in the photo captions. One of them identified the L11 article as the bomb dropped on Nagasaki.

The L11, or 'Little Boy', was the gun type uranium device dropped on Hiroshima. The bomb used on Nagasaki was a plutonium implosion weapon.

Someone mentioned a book about the Manhattan project, I'm pretty sure they were referring to The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. It's a fantastic book, and it won a 1995 Pulitzer prize.

Rhodes wrote a follow-up book on the development of the hydrogen bomb titled Dark Sun. It's also a good book.

If you want to get a good understanding of the history and an education in physics I recommend both books.

Umm, you're confusing North Africa with the Middle East. Very different.

That's a bit like saying Denver is on the Gulf Coast.

So there's no Muslims in North Africa? The original statement included "The muslim [sic] have been fighting the world..."

Pretty sure Algeria has a big ol' crescent moon on their flag.

Reading. It's fundamental.

Unless of course Algeria isn't in North Africa.

So there's no Muslims in North Africa? The original statement included "The muslim [sic] have been fighting the world..."

Pretty sure Algeria has a big ol' crescent moon on their flag.

Reading. It's fundamental.

Unless of course Algeria isn't in North Africa.

There are Muslims in Malaysia and Indonesia. Does that make them Middle Eastern?

Ooh, and Malaysia has a crescent in its flag, too.

And Nate said nothing at all about Muslims, and the guy who did clearly confused his continents.

As you say, "Reading. It's fundamental." Though I'll add you have to understand it, too. Religion and geography are not the same.

Last edited:

ROFL... I believe the gentleman gave you a significant date long before Iran and the CIA were playing cat and mouse games, oh...

They may have been called "Barbary Pirates", or alternatively, "Ottoman Corsairs".

As you say, "Reading. It's fundamental." Though I'll add you have to understand it, too.

If you like, I can make a drawing in crayon if that's more up your alley of comprehension.

Last edited:
Back